Being Yourself(IC)

Ari

Vicky shrugged, "Sometimes beating an opponent until he can't see straight isn't the most effective tactic. A while back, some nutjob thought sending a marque to fall on a bunch of people to take out one target was a good plan. The energy it would have taken for me to blast the various bits of falling metal away would have likely also ruined several nearby buildings. But having learned how to shape my energy projections into a semi-solid form, I was able to stop the impacts without anyone getting hurt." To demonstrate she held out her right hand and screwed up her face in concentration, summoning a small sphere of crackling blue and black energy before it reshaped itself into a fork. A fork she used pick up and eat a bit of omelet. With a tired grin she added, "Still need more practice but this trick will cut down on how many dishes I need to wash."

"Morgan and I are doing okay. He and his mother have got some of their own training going on. Her words on why she doesn't let the teachers help with his magic was something along the lines of 'No mortal trickster could ever hope to match my teachings', which, short of Eldritch, is probably true."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's mostly about laws on superpowers and about learning ways to use your powers besides beating up evildoers, which seems pretty pointless to me. They teach you about super-science there too? Like, how to make robots that can fly on hydrogen and stuff?"

"Weeeell... I can't really talk about the other grades, but from what we've seen so far, the staff run the occasional exhibition on alien tech and the like; helps us being prepared in case we encounter some. The curriculums are still more geared towards more mundane sciences, but then again, considering that they ARE the base for the higher science stuff, I REALLY can't blame them. I mean..." Serge struggled a bit to find a good example to make his point clearer. "Think of Integrals. A very important concept in mathematics, it's applications are widespread, especially in telecommunications. Yet, helping someone understand the concept is nigh-impossible, without explainning Derivatives. A Derivative is the variable rate at which a function changes, depending on it's input. In essence, you get function A, put it through a certain PROCESS, and get function B. An Integral is, essentially, the inverse of that, you get function B, put it through another PROCESS, and get function A back."

Pausing a bit to let that sink, and to see if Galanta understood what he tried to say, he expounded "That sounded very complicated, right? And yet, it's a very basic thing that one must properly understand, in order to properly move on to more complicated stuff. And compared to super-science, this is downright mundane."

It is good to see you have such friends as this, Bito. You could learn a lot from him. Tell me Serge, have you had your powers for a long time? Subito only got his gift last year, as I'm sure he's told you."

"Eeeh... for quite some time, ma'am, yes. I suppose I was born with my powers, but they only manifested a few years back... not that I..." leaving a sigh, Serge's face darkened a bit. "...not that I did anything particullarly note-worthy with them." At that, he returned to his plate, which was almost empty by now.

"Morgan and I are doing okay. He and his mother have got some of their own training going on. Her words on why she doesn't let the teachers help with his magic was something along the lines of 'No mortal trickster could ever hope to match my teachings', which, short of Eldritch, is probably true."

"Arrogant, would be the word I'd choose, even if it were true. Still, his mother IS his mother, so, unless given explicit reason to doubt her paternal adequacy, her word is the law, as far as the upbringing of her children goes." Serge commented, shrugging. "Isn't that RIGHT, 'BITO?" he... his friend, making a huge grin that reached all the way to his ears.

GM

Subito turned fully to Serge, looked him in the eye, and replied "That's entirely true, Surge. Entirely."

Pavor nodded gravely at what Victoria had said "I understand that problem all too well" he said with a weary sigh "My mother suspected that the schools we went to were full of propoganda, and insisted on making me and my siblings study long after our schoolmates, learning about the dangers of too much love for the state. I, for one," he added with a strong note of jocularity "had no idea that statism was such an omnipresent terror! Not a week went by but we read about the failures of the few to do justice to the many, sometimes re-reading the same parts of the same book at class and at home!" he laughed heartily at that and Broma grinned outright. Galanta and Subito rolled their eyes almost in unison. Rodrigo gave no sign he had heard anything from his uncle, instead focusing on Serge, asking him quietly "What you said, about how even advanced super-science relies on a firm grounding in the more well-known sciences...what about the ones that for lack of a better word supersede mundane sciences?"

"Wow, bro! Even I have to admit that you made that comment with... Surgical precision!" Serge commented at Subito with an aknowledging wink, as he found himself lost in observing with glee the Sondo family, whose behavior made him feel trully welcome. The dinner was certainly proving a success, so far.

"What you said, about how even advanced super-science relies on a firm grounding in the more well-known sciences...what about the ones that for lack of a better word supersede mundane sciences?"

Rodrigo's question gave him some pause, but it also made him very happy. "That's actually a very astute observation, Rodrigo! When you say 'supersede', do you mean disprove? It's... actually not that different, even in that case. It's like the atomic model; Early on, you learn how the atom is a scaled down version of a star system, with the electrons behaving like planets while the protons like a sun. Later on, however, you learn that this is only really the case for the Hydrogen, the world's simplest atom, since it has only one proton and one electron. You still needed to learn that simple example, in order to ease you in on the more advanced stuff."

Vicky turned to look at Serge, "Arrogant she might be but once you hit a certain level of divinity you're allowed some degree of it. And while I do think she should let Morgan learn more from the instructors at the school, I'm not going to say so to a goddess of war and death."

"Oh believe me, I've heard plenty of stories about how the few failed to aid the many," Vicky said with a resigned sigh. "My mother defected from the Soviet Union after all. I've heard about the difficulties suffered by those not part of the Party's elite." She scooped up some of the beef and rice stuffed yam with the energy fork and chewed, "And then there was the Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti."

Rodrigo seemed satisfied by that answer, nodding thoughtfully to himself and smiling in thanks to Serge as he turned back to his carefully-chosen cheeses. Broma and Pavor looked distinctly grave at the mention of the Komitet, with the matriarch saying to Victoria "Alas, that name is all too familiar to us as well. My father was a KGB agent for many years. He was discovered when he and several others were caught plotting to assassinate the Patriot by the police. He was..unapologetic." she said, face hardened slightly. Pavor gently took one of her hands and whispered in her ear, and with a sigh she relaxed and smiled a little at him "You're right, my dear" turning back to Vick she said gravely "My apologies for bringing that up, young lady. I dare say you didn't want to get an anecdote from my past. How is the food? I had Galanta ask Subi-ask Bito" she winked at the young paragon as he nearly chocked on his food with rage "what kind of things you liked".

"Ah, I'm sorry for bringing them up," Vicky said, eyes down turned. I'd really rather not share the fact mom was a Soviet super-soldier and dad used to work for the CIA. Her father may have even known or worked with them, she thought before taking a sip from her glass of water. "But the food is delicious, especially these stuffed yams. Never had rabbit before though, tastes a bit like chicken," she added with a mirthful smile. To punctuate the point about her enjoyment of the food, she scooped up the last of her omelet.

She looked over at Subito as he choked in what she had to assume was feigned rage. She slapped his back a couple times as he coughed.

"Kagh! Thanks Vick" Subito muttered, wiping a few tears from his eyes as he thumped her on the back in thanks, turning back to his food for a few moments. Glancing at her energy fork he commented "Whoa, that's pretty fine control! I can only use my powers to augment myself, not make things like that. How do you do that? Is it hard?" he asked eagerly. "Speakin' of which, you..nah, I'll..let's talk about that later" he said hurriedly, blushing slightly and looking quickly away from the curious look of Galanta, who was getting a small spice shaker from a cupboard. She began suspiciously

"Hey, you getting trou-?" "No no Galanta, it's not that, nobody's giving me a hard time at Claremont. They're a lot more friendly than at our school" he assured her with an earnest look. After a second she nodded and sat back down, giving a the wrap on her plate a once-over with the spices that smelled strongly of cilantro and garlic.

Serge was almost done with his plate, and he took the time to savor every last bite, and leave as few leftovers as possible. A good spicy meal was one of his top vices, he had to admit. "Indeed, I have to agree with Vicky. The rabbit is very yummy, if you'd allow me the term."

"No no Galanta, it's not that, nobody's giving me a hard time at Claremont. They're a lot more friendly than at our school"

Serge nodded, and he added "'strue. Well, Claremont IS a school, and every school has its troublemakers and its rotten eggs, as it where, but thankfully, they tend to keep to themselves. And really, the staff heavily discourage any such shenanigans, at least, outside of a well-controlled enviroment; it would be far too easy for even the most innocent of incidents to get out of hand. That, and the fact that the school promotes teamwork mentality ensures that little to no bullying takes place, and that the students are well equiped to properly deal with it, in case it can't be prevented."

After FINALLY taking a pause, he lightly slapped his forehead as he let out a laugh. "Ohh, man, I must sound like a pamphlet or something! Please, excuse me. I let my mouth run out of control at times."

Vicky let the energy fork dissipate into nothingness, her brow furrowed and a bit of sweat shimmering by her eyes. "It isn't terribly easy, like I'm said, I'm still working on it. And I can't really make anything much more complicated than a fork. I can't even get a good knife out of it, my control isn't fine enough for a proper edge."

"And honestly, if anyone was giving Subito any trouble, they'd be kinda stupid to mess with someone who can bench almost as much as I can," looking over at the boy she continued, "I know you wouldn't actually hurt anyone but when somebody can juggle refrigerators, you don't antagonize them." Glancing at Serge she smirked, "You kinda did just now, but the school can always use a little extra recruiting."

Subito shrugged at Victoria's words "Still, that's pretty fine control. As for people attackin' me, there are plenty of other people there who could pretty easily outfight me or just attack my mind or somethin'. I'm pretty low on the super-danger scale" He laughed heartily at that, looking with an unhidden smile at Serge and his wordiness. "I'm with Vick there, a good advertising gig for the school couldn't hurt!" Rodrigo pursed his lips, tightly chewing his food.

The meal soon drew to a close after only a few minutes, the Sondos clearing away the food and drink and cleaning the dishes with surprising dexterity and speed, and soon the kitchen sparkled.

Leading Victoria and Serge into a small living room dominated by a truly imposing bookshelf with a several dozen inch television taking up a subdued position below a groaning rack of Edgar Rice Burroughs novels. Seating the two other Claremonters on a well-cushioned couch, the others of the family got settled among the various chairs stuck at seeming random throughout the room. "So, what d'you guys want to do?" Galanta asked the pair "We've got about a closetfull of board games, a whole bunch of movies and one of the better parks in Lincoln nearby."

"Well..." Serge responded, scratching his chin "...the bet I had with your brother a few months back was movie of his choice, if my memory doesn't fail me. Though there's probably time until then, and I would NEVER say no to a good game. Cards, Uno, Trivia games, Chess, Monopoly, Jenga; you name it, I'm game." the young man proudly proclaimed.

"What about you, Vicky? Any particular preference?" he asked his schoolmate.

Vicky leaned back in her seat, enjoying the taste of the meal still lingering on her taste buds. "Well, depending on how many chess sets you've got in the closet, it might be a bit hard to include everyone," she mused. "As for card games, does anyone else here know how to play pitch? Or maybe Caravan?"

Turning to Subito, "If that was the bet, what movie do you have in mind? And I'm curious what was involved in this bet." She closed her eyes and let her head fall back, not ready to fall asleep but enjoying the comfort the chair gave her back.

"Eh, just that the loser of a race we had in the woods had to go to dinner at the winner's parent's house, and the movie of the winner's choice" Subito explained breezily, jumping over to the cabinet and rifling through the narrow plastic and broad cardboard covers that crammed it nearly to bursting, retrieving a slim disk case bearing the name of The African Queen "and my choice is the best Humphrey Bogart movie ever made" he declared fervently, to considerable kindly murmurs from Pavor who was busily reading a technical manual on electric wiring, a mutter of irritation from Rodrigo who was curled up with one of the Asimov Foundation books, and a casual "If you think the guests would like, Subito, then yes" from Broma. Slipping the disk into its player he took his seat next to Serge, snatching the remote from its concealed place in a drawer of the cabinet as he went.

The grand drama of the sister of a missionary, the steamboat captain, and their struggle against Nazis unfolded with great style despite the necessary lowering of the television's volume to keep from annoying the neighbors. The stocky young paragon was all but glued to the unfolding tale, tearing up at all the right places while his much more stoic sister patted him kindly on the back. During one especially affecting scene she bent over to Victoria and whispered confidingly "I think he's seen this part about twelve times now" she glanced furtively back at her brother, adding "By the way, how has he been doin'? With..people at school? Has he met someone?" she asked vaguely, obviously uncomfortable with the question.

"A Humphrey Bogart, eh? That's... positively retro, I'll give you that." Serge commented, as they all took seat. He quietly laughed a few times, seeing Subito's overenthusiasm as the film progressed. As for himself, while the film wasn't his preferred genre, Serge certainly found it interesting and enjoyable. At one point, however, he glanced at Rodrigo, and then, after quite a while, he decided to ask Subito, in whispering tones. "Hey, your cous' seems a bit grumpy. He gonn' be awright?" he said, in between the constant movie commentary, and as discreetly as he could manage.

Vicky scooted a bit closer to Galanta so to make her own lowered voice easier to hear, "He's doing pretty well I think. I haven't been back much since being required to vacate by the headmaster but last I was there he and my dormmate Janis were getting on nicely." She paused for a minute before adding with a slight smirk, "By the way, you are aware he can probably hear us, no matter how quiet we whisper, right? He was able to describe pretty well how everything was being moved around. He's almost as good as Sonar was in Down Periscope."

Galanta cringed slightly when Victoria reminded her of Subito's powerful hearing "Right, yeah" she glanced back at her brother "Well, he rarely hears much else when he's watching movies, I don't think he noticed. Anyway, thanks. That's good to hear. He can get...weird sometimes, you know?" she shrugged noncommittally and settled back for the movie.

"Hey, your cous' seems a bit grumpy. He gonn' be awright?"

Subito glanced over at Serge for a moment "Hm? Oh, he's usually like that. This is pretty good for him, usually he's calling me and Galanta 'book-hating Philistines' and stuff." he snorted in derision, returning to the action unfolding onscreen "Thinks we're both terrible because we spend more time exercising than reading Ender's Game or Foundation."

Rodrigo heard his name being said and looked over automatically, and for an instant his and his cousin's eyes met. For a horrible moment the tension in the room suddenly seemed to be reaching a critical point...and then vanished as they both sullenly shifted in their seats and turned their heads back to the screen, the exploits of Charlie and Rose far more interesting than their own animosity.

"Hm? Oh, he's usually like that. This is pretty good for him, usually he's calling me and Galanta 'book-hating Philistines' and stuff. Thinks we're both terrible because we spend more time exercising than reading Ender's Game or Foundation."

"Ah, I see..." Serge muttered, almost to himself, as they returned to watching the movie. "A same, really, not being able to get along." he continued focusing on the movie, while also thinking about it. "...but I wouldn't worry that much. Blood before water, and all that." He whispered between scenes, and helped himself to some snacks. After he took a few bites, he drank some cola, to quench himself. Unlike usually, he was careful not to make any unneeded noise by 'washing' the carbonated drink in his mouth.

Vicky nodded, replying in her hushed voice, "Yeah. I think that's as much a guy thing as much as anything else." The teen heroine followed Galanta's lead, leaning back and letting herself enjoy the movie. Though, as the movie rolled on she found herself picturing layouts and spreads for some of her upcoming projects as much as paying attention to the sixty-one year old movie.

After a while she pulled her tablet out of her bag and turned to get Galanta's profile and started sketching a rough picture, planning to add in Subito, their parents and Rodrigo one at a time.

"...but I wouldn't worry that much. Blood before water, and all that.".

"Yeah, that's true" Subito muttered in answer, more than a little dismissively.

As the movie wound to its grand close, even the dour Rodrigo showed at least a little interest, a look of anxiety playing briefly across his face as things looked to be headed for the worst, and faint relief as the day was saved, the evil Nazi steamboat vanquished for all time, and Humphrey Bogart's character and Katherine Hepburn's character made it through. "That wasn't too bad" he said crisply, his head dropping down to bury itself in the pages of an old Asimov book.

Pavor and Broma were busy looking into each other's eyes for several moments after the movie's last crescendo had fully passed, smiling gently at one another. With a quick clearing of the throat the matriarch got easily to her feet, collecting the plates and cups that had migrated into the room for Pavor to bustle into the kitchen and begin the quick work of cleaning them. With a bright look she turned to the guests "Ah, now, what would you like to do next?" almost immediately Galanta threw up one muscular arm followed by "I know! We could go and play basketball!" Subito laughed heartily at that "Ha! Sis I think we should let the food settle, maybe we could play Sequence for a bit?" his elder sister rolled her eyes "Pfft, you've gotten soft in the time you've been goin' to Claremont Bito"

The young paragon seemed to whip his head around like an owl's "Oh yeah?!" Rodrigo sighed wearily and sank deeper into his easy chair.

"Everyone, please!" Serge said with his arms spread open in a calming manner. "There is no reason for us to get overly excited. A competitive spirit is all fine and well, but don't let it get to your heads." He cautioned the two siblings, in a sage-like way. A chuckle escaped his mouth, however, and he relented "Ah, well, what the hell? A game of basketball sounds fun!" He beamed. "Vicky, you in?" he asked Victoria.

"Hmm, but what would be the rules? Since we are so few, half-court rules would seem appropriate, no?" Serge inquired. "That is:

:arrow: We are all playing under the same basket.

:arrow: If the ball leaves the half of the court we're playing, it counts as an out of bounds.

:arrow: When a team acquires the ball, other than through stealing, they should 1)exit the 3-point perimeter and 2)pass to a teammate, before being able to take a shot, otherwise, it counts as a safety(meaning, it doesn't give points). If they steal the ball, instead, they only have to exit the 3-point perimeter.

:arrow: Each 2-pointer counts as 1 point, and each 3-pointer as 2 points.

:arrow: Fouls are treated as Out of Bounds.

:arrow: The winning team is the one to 1)score at least 21 points, and 2)has a leading score of at least 2 points."

"Sounds right?"

Vicky looked down at her outfit then back at Serge, "Well, I'd need to run home and grab some different clothes and shoes, what heels and my outfit aren't exactly recommended for basketball. I came right from the 'office' to here and wasn't expecting an impromptu game of half-court."

"I would however be happy to keep score and it would be handy for me to sketch some action shots. My stills are pretty good but Fulcrum says my motion panels could use some improving to match," she said, setting her tablet on the arm of the sofa. "That or we hold the game up some twenty minutes while I run home, change, and get back."

"I'm sure Rodrigo would love to give you some help Victoria" Pavor said with a bright smile towards his sister's son "He's got something of the artist in his soul as well. Didn't you do a whole lot of portraits just a week ago at school, Rodrigo?" "Yeah, f'r some of the soccer team and the football cheerleading squad" the more retiring boy answered bluntly, much more interested in his book than the minor spat that had just erupted. "I'm not a real fast drawer" he clarified, letting the hardcover reluctantly down so he could talk to Victoria, whose white hair had attracted considerable, if muted interest "but I can copy down the stuff I see and show how it looks when it moves without much trouble. Got a pretty good sketch of an albatross that flew over here once." he said with a slight smile "I've got a good camera, how about you use that to get some shots, make your still sketches and use the photos as references for the motions."

"It is no bother, I am sure the kids could use an impartial observer for the match" Broma commented with a droll smile "So be it. You children can go and play at the court from the next forty minutes, or until Subito or Galanta get too hot-headed to be relied upon not to punch somebody." raising her hand to quell the uprising of protestations from her children, Galanta's "Madre! you know we won't-!" and Subito's "C'mon Mom! when did we-?" ringing briefly in the air, she said sternly "I know you both. Sooner or later some disagreement will rise up. Better to leave it then than let it boil. I trust you'll take good care of them" she added warmly to Serge and Victoria, giving them short directions to helpful neighbors in the unlikely case that they came up against trouble, and sent them off so she and Pavor could set up for the games after basketball had run its course.

The two Sondo teens eagerly led the way to the court, which was as slightly dingy and dinged and dented as might be expected for an area of the city like Lincoln, but it was well-kempt enough, and the hoops were definitely in sound condition. "So...teams?" Subito asked brightly, smiling as he did some light stretches, Galanta did a few once-armed pull-ups on the nearby fence, and Rodrigo looked blandly at the two Claremonters.

"Don't worry, Ma'am!" Serge beamed at Mrs Sondo. "Me and Victoria will make sure the two of them will behave."

Serge followed Subito and Galanta on the court. He took the ball and started dribbling and shooting to the basket, in order to get a proper feel for the ball. By no means was he an expert basketball player, and his hand coordination could definitely use some improvement, but he had the basics down fine, and he could aim with good accuracy. "Well, Subito, I could go with Galanta, and you could go with Victoria, seeing as the two of you would rather end up against each other. Or, we could just each shoot the ball from the foul line, and the first two to score form a team. In case of a tie, a reshoot will occur for those who tied."

• 2 weeks later...

"No worries, first person to try and throw a punch gets to walk home. From Hanover...," the white haired artist said, her tone and facial expression conveying that she didn't expect to have to make good on the mock threat. At Rodrigo's comments she nodded, "Much appreciated. My tablet just isn't good for grabbing pictures."

As her fellow teenagers gathered themselves for a quick game of basketball, Vicky said "I'll meet you guys down on the court. Like I said, heels and my work clothes mix poorly with basketball." She vanished from her seat in the livingroom and after a few jumps and a couple minutes changing into shorts and a Chicago Bulls jersey her father had given her, trying ever so hard to get her into sports.

A few minutes after leaving, she reappeared out of sight and made her way to the court. She was quietly impressed with Galanta's one-armed pull-ups, despite the fact she could bench-press weight in the neighborhood of a tank's, Galanta was vanilla human after all. "I vote for the foul line plan."