Slave to Time (IC)

El Heraldo had bent his ear with minute care as the man walked out of the library with the book, relaying what he heard to the British spirit of Justice nearby. "He works for somebody named Vile, somebody quite unforgiving and of the opinion that any attention drawn to the book is too much." He followed close to Young Britannia as they flew, partially to disguise his own light amidst hers(what that would accomplish he didn't consider fully), and landed with a quiet thud on the roof next to his comrade, eyes fixed on the sewer cover.

He nodded shortly at Agnus slightly derailed question "I certainly am Ms. Britannia, wh-" he suddenly caught the look she was giving him and glanced down at his brilliant attire "This? Of course! I can even repair our garb with the Banner, cleans them as well as fixing tears and..such..." he had abruptly realized Young Britannia was laughing at his costume, and didn't help matters by crossing his arms over the bright blue jacket after tilting his feathered cap a little forwards, and glaring fiercely down after their quarry "This costume is awesome and I'm proud to wear it" he grumbled, floating stiffly down to the cover, which he tugged off and placed next to the opening for Agnus to replace as she went down. That done, he dropped quietly into the sewer, making room when he landed for Young Britannia in her turn.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agnes floated down behind him trying to fight down her laughter, he heartfelt desire only seemed to make thing worse.

“I’m sorry it’s a lovely costume. It’s just very… colourful and busy. Not many men could carry off a look like that…†her voice didn’t really carry same level of commitment “It’s a nice flag!â€

Dropping into the darkened sewer she dialled back her light to just a narrow torch of light, again she check the location of the book. She drew a deep breath and settled herself back down, focusing on following the book.

“It went this way follow me.â€

At least he’s now behind me, that’s going to help.

GM

Deep in the sewers, both Young Brittania and El Heraldo could hear the footsteps of the man, and the light of his flashlight in the distance. He was walking fast, but not running.

There sense of smell was, of course, instantly gratified by the fetid odour of the Sewers.

In the distance, the amazing hearing of El Heraldo could pick up something...a chant, repeated over and over. He could understand the latin phrases as...

Lemuria, Lemuria, we praise your might. The might of Lemuria. Break the walls of time, Lemuria the mighty. Throught the gates of time we break...

Subito hated the sewers. They always turned his clothes to mucky wrecks, and since he had been 10 neighborhood kids had been throwing things of his down there, which made THEM disgusting mucky wrecks as well. Suffice to say his face was set in a grim scowl, wishing he could just pull his mask down to shield his nose.

"Ms. Britannia," whispered El Heraldo nervously, all irritation over the costume forgotten "I detect that someone down the way is endeavoring to either travel through time or send something. Do you recall anything from the book about this cult being capable of time-travel?"

He glanced over her shoulder at the way ahead "If not, I still offer to investigate whatever is doing that ahead, while you trail our fellow scholar."

Agnes rolled her eye “Please that makes me sound like my mum, well if she was a superhero. And that’s the name of the other one. Agnes will do fine, Annice if you must…â€

So this mysterious man who currently has the book was part of a cul,t all Lemuria and time-travel. A memory from the book popped into her head.

“Yeah it said something about summoning something or one from the future. And I’m guessing they not after lemur’s.†she didn’t even bother to consider Subito offer “No we go together, something that dangerous will take both of us. Once we get closer I’ll create a distraction they we take them down.â€

GM

...Further Down the Sewer...

It was a broken down tunnel in a crumbling part of the network. The smell was actually slighter better here, even if not pleasant.

The cowled figures, all seven of them, lit by candlelight, encircled a well dressed man in antiquated clothes and slicked back hair. His green eyes burned with fierce intelligence.

To one side stood the tall Italian man in dark overcoat and hat, fingering the book.

The chanting continued, unabated, the concentration palpable.

A distortion hit the air around the well dressed man in the centre, who smiled a smile of pure gratification.

"It is time! to rewrite history!" he laughed, as the distortion and pressure in the air hit a crescendo.

"Okay then, I'll go with that" El Heraldo said softly, rolling his eyes at the "sounds like my mum" bit.

“No we go together, something that dangerous will take both of us. Once we get closer I’ll create a distraction they we take them down.â€

He shrugged(a gesture wasted when he was behind her) "Very well. If they have the ability to dispatch objects into the past, they might turn considerable force upon us as well." and with that he followed Young Britannia in dour silence.

Which matched his muck-spattered boots and pants quite well.

-------------------

"With your will Agnes, I will bring that man to the ground with my shoulder" El Heraldo murmured, floating a little into the air"Unless you wish to deal with him yourself, in which case I shall take care of the rest of those."

“Let’s try a little negotiation first, hang back to the shadows and if it kick off just be careful.â€

She stepped out into view and turned her aura full on lighting up this part of the sewers like a full day.

“Hi boys! Obviously no girls in your future. That would explain at lot. Personally I’m a big fan of things as they are some bad parts to be sure, but lots of really good things. The Beatles, the Stones, Justice, Freedom of Speech, Comfortable Bras, Jessie J, Birth Control, Women Rights, Bridget Jones, Bob Marley.†She count everything off on her fingers “Well there are a few of my favourites. Besides…â€

She grinned broadly and held out her hand a crude image of the book appeared. Then she gently blew the photons of the illusion scattering in the wind. As she did the book they thought was really also went the same way.

“...you have nothing.â€

"]There is no time for care, Young Britannia!" thundered El Heraldo, leaping a couple of feet into the air and rocketing towards one of the Snake people cultists, one hand clenched into a fist, the other gripping the Banner in a red-gloved hand.

"If we can stop these villains from completing their purpose before they have a chance to open this gateway to the past(how does that WORK? he wondered)we can prevent in one stroke their ever gaining their foothold in the past! We can prevent untold horror and tragedy, if only we strike instantly! I admit, it may be a trifle foolish to charge in like this, but Fortune is ever said to favor the bold! Besides which, such an attack as this will disrupt their own defense, being forced as they now will be to fight on two fronts at once, rather than preventing us both from reaching them they must instead combat the enemy in their midst as well as the one at a safer distance; truly they shall be hard-pressed to keep up such a struggle. And ayway, if they have some vile devilry prepared for us, I would rather it fell upon me rather than you" he said, hurtling towards the hapless cultist like a red, yellow and blue bullet!

Subito..you idiot child moaned the Blue Dame in his head You might have just cost us the victory! Listen to your elders, young man!

But victory is nigh! pleaded El Heraldo as he swept through the sewer

FINE snapped the genius loci this one attack, then return to the side of the British spirit of Justice for her orders she said with stern fury

But victoryyyy Silence! As you wish O Blue Dame Good youth.

GM

The robed man, recepient of the full force of El Heraldo, may have been a competent enough chanter and master of ritual, but he was just a man, not fast or strong enough to match the superhuman power of Subito.

He flew across the sewer tunnel, spinning slightly, like a rag doll, and colliding with the wall in a rather sickening thud.

"Don't stop!" shouted the Master of the Ceremony, his form fading slightly.

"We are almost there!" he emphasised, his black eyes burning into his fanatical followers, who continued their chant...

Agnes couldn’t help but smile at Subito’s impetuous, it was just that famous Latin passion. If only he was a few years older, but maybe this wasn’t quite the time for such thoughts.

As she floated there she subtly drew the light towards her, her aura brightening slightly.

“…and oh Chocolate, and Ice-cream… close your eye Heraldo… and my personal favourite artificial light…â€

She hoped Subito would pick up on her warnings but just in case she moved slightly to create a shadow to protect her fellow hero. With that she released her aura into a brilliant burst of light which filled the entire chamber.

GM

Young Brittania's burst of light illuminated all the robed figures...showing them from the slightly seedy figures they were. One, more cowardly than the rest, turned to flee, and spared from the dazzling light, by so turning, sped off down the sewers. The other four were completely blinded, and somewhat panicked, by the flare.

The dark eyed leader raised his hand involuntarily at the light and was spared the full force of Young Brittania's power.

Behind him, a shimmering portal of shadow and smoke appeared, roughly circular and leading into some vague shadowy realm, like a black and white movie of...a city? it was hard to tell.

"Too late!" he yelled at the heroes, as he stepped through and vanished.

"This future will never be! muahahaha!" he laughed.

As he faded from view, the shadowy portal flickered slightly, diminishing tangibly in strength, but still it smoked and breathed, presenting the same fogged view of an old city.

El Heraldo heard the warning from Young Britania in time, and turned his head aside just as the light shone out and dazzled the cultists with its glare. Wincing slightly from its brightness despite that, he saluted her smartly and set about capturing the cultists nearby, collaring, knocking the wind out of and tripping flat three of them before he heard the departing jeer of the cult's evident leader, and saw to his horror the man pass through the portal!

The portal was closing!

Their enemy was getting away!

They would do evil stuff in the past and make the world they knew never be!

"You shall not escape us!" thundered a bizarre melding of Subito and the Blue Dame's voices, one grave, commanding and ageless, the other filled with wrath, young and brash. For a strange moment, the two souls were joined by their mutual focus, and with a roar of anger twice of that a human could feel, El Heraldo hurled himself through the portal, shooting out the other side at top speed, heedless of the dangers that undoubtedly lurked in wait for such recklessness.

Agnes was at the far end of the chamber when El Heraldo made his decisions chasing down the fleeing cultist.

“Bollocks!â€

She knew she had to follow but she didn’t want to leave the cultist around to cause further trouble. She reached out with her mind to try to contact him spirit to spirit but Blue didn’t seem to be listening. So magic was out time for some science.

Luckily she didn’t spend her time just fight crime. She recalled a recent function where she had a physicist, also a Brit, try to explain the strangeness of Quantum Mechanic. He carefully explained that photon like most elemental practically didn’t seem to worry by where and when they where they retained a link.

So turning in flight she spun a beam of light out to a single photon thick threading the line through the portal and into a contact with her ally. On making contact she used the link to say some very rude and physically impossible thing in Spanish.

Stay exactly where you are, and don’t step on any butterflies. I look terrible in green scales. I’m just cleaning thing up this side.

That sorted she raced up at full speed towards the fleeing man throwing up plume of water, well mostly water, into the air.

It took a few seconds for the jolt of moving through time to wear off on the young paragon, who briefly halted in mid-air, shaking his head to clear it and focus on the chase, the shout of anger mingling in his head with a sudden flurry of questions as the last few seconds came back to him

Wait...I thought I...what happened O Blue Dame? he asked in bafflement, looking and listening about him for his quarry

We have become confused came the clear tones of his patron, sounding just and disconcerted as he we must take care this does not happen often. We will be forced to part if it does.

Gotch- began Subito's mental confirmation just before Agnus's message hit him. He was briefly shocked by the torrent of curses, face reddening furiously as the angry words shot into his mind. At last he managed to call on the Blue Dame to send a message in return

O spirit of Justice, El Heraldo will remain where he is, we are both sorry for our haste, myself especially. The child is my charge, and placing him in harm's way like this was foolish of me. We await your arrival.

She was in the middle of trying to get the police here when Blue Dame’s message came through.

“…look I’m a couple of meters underground travelling at a hundred miles an hour; do you think I’m completely legit?â€

The photon cord was vibrating signals back and forwards leading to a strange echoing effect, it seemed appropriate seeing how many centuries apart they were.

she switched to Taíno, the spirit must be old enough to recognize the tongue.

Making a grab for the fleeing cultist, she did a perfect U-turn and made back for the chamber.

If the portal isn’t stable Subito we may have to get creative. If you lose this signal try to imaging me there, it might allow us to bend time and bring me there. That the strange timey-wimey nature of space-time.

GM

Through the portal was a city, with a chill snap in the air. It was evening time, or thereabouts, a pale sun hanging low in the horizon.

It was Freedom City, no question - one could recognise the broad brushstrokes, but it was half the size, at most, with old wooden buildings, horses, carts, and bustling people in old clothes.

The Portal had opened onto a small, narrow street. The only person to witness the amazing sight was a dead-drunk bum, dressed in old clothes and a somewhat unpleasant odour.

"Holy Schmoley!" he mumbled, looking at his dirty whisky bottle, half drunk, and throwing it onto a wall where it smashed.

Meanwhile...

The Portal was collapsing, fading, and shrinking in front of Young Brittania's eyes....

El Heraldo started at the noise of the breaking bottle preceded by the muttered exclamation of the drunkard, for all that he had seen the thing fly through the air the report of its impact still hit his ears almost painfully. Wincing, he called over to the man reassuringly "Greetings, citizen! I come in peace, seeking an escaped traitor to our kind. Have you seen anyone else pass by here just now? A man dressed in a dark cloak? I must take them alive and take them with me to prevent them doing evil here."

He glanced worriedly at the portal

Maybe I should-

Subito. NO.

But what if-

No. That will not be necessary.

...Fine. I'll stay here like she said to.

Good youth.

Seeing the portal closing Agnes again swore though much less creatively than before. But rather than slowing down she gathered speed drawing upon all her energies until as she entered the chamber she was a glowing ball of light almost painful to look at.

Pitching the cultist she had caught earlier to one of his “friends†she carried on gathering speed at the last moment she let all that energy go, filling the chamber with light just before she entered the portal.

Once through she didn’t slow down climbing at speed before drifting down to the ground beside Subuito. Looking round at her surrounding Agnes swore for the third time in so many minutes.

“Oh this better not be the same place as before, I’m so over Music Hall.†Looking at the drunken tramp she added “And we better get going I might have drawn a little attention.â€

GM

The drunkard was about to open his mouth to reply to El Heraldo. His reactions and speed were both significantly impaired, despite his newfound vow of sobriety.

His jaw slackened still further with the entrance of Young Brittania.

"Sweet Jesus o' mighty" he swore, staggering to one side and balancing himself against the wall.

"Ah seen all sort's ah shannagins, but today is the damnedest peculiar, ah swear!"

He dropped to his knees.

"Ah swear it's a sign so it is! Old' Seamus Snape, I am, and ah swear my ways will be a'mendin! I been a lousy good for nothing, ah swear, ah confess! Ah seen all sorts of low life goodfernuthin business here, foul devil business, ah knows...but this be a sign! Ah swear ah mend my ways!"

He hiccuped, and for a few seconds looked like he might vomit.

"Seamus Snape at yer service!" he bowed, rather to much, and fell on his face.

"ah seen some fella matching' yer description!" he moaned from the floor.

Agnes rolled her eyes as she dialed down her aura to just a faint glow.

“Not this again, look we’re just like you. And if that doesn’t work think of us as a booze induced illusion. Just an undigested bit of Guinness...â€

She crouched down and offered Seamus a hand.

“Anyhow a Snape should stand tall and proud not grovelling in the mud like some Muggle.â€

She stopped herself from laughing and instead gave a encouraging smile.

“Oh well let start with the basics. What year is it?†she turned to Subito “I’ve always wanted to say that.â€

"That would indeed be helpful" agreed El Heraldo with good cheer("Lucky" he muttered in her ear as he got closer), dropping lightly to the ground next to Seamus, clapping him warmly on the shoulder with a broad red-gloved hand to let him know they were both corporeal. "Be at peace, Seamus Snape! We are not messengers from Heaven, but champions of Justice" he bowed his head slightly in Young Britannia's direction "and the Victory of the same. Once we are aware what year this is and which way this traitor to humanity has gone, we will be on our way."

GM

"Cham-pee-ons of justice?" answered a befuddles Seamus.

"Shure enough need some justice 'round here, ill say. Ash fer the year, well, any dolt knows its the year of our lord eighteen sixty three. Two years of war, and still going strong. Plenty of blood, guts, and gizzards bin spilt already, and the world going to hell. What with all the gunsmoke and dyin' and maimin', well justice bin takin' a back step recently..."

He staggered slightly.

"And that's not includin' the whisperin's from down south, make a man's blood freeze!"

“Great our cultist is a South will rise again freak, still I bet he was freaked that one of our kind kicked his arse.â€

Whilst some of past lives she had done some questionable thing a hundred year ago she was campaigning with the abolitionists and right now she was marching with the Suffragettes. Actually right now there were two of her she could remember exactly what she was doing right now… And what she was wearing…

“Well this clobber isn’t going to help us right now.â€

She concentrated, this was more complicated than a simple book, and light began to flow around her and Subito’s body. From memory, her other memory, she drew on designs of working class clothes of a couple of years ago to cloth them in something a little more suitable for the time. She also took the time to drop her height down to her normal 5’5â€. A 6’ woman would attract attention at any time.

“there that should do. Okay Semus show us where this idiot went.â€

GM

Once again, Seamus' jaw dropped, and he shook his head.

"Well I'll be damned. Fancy clothes yer got there missy. And if yer could spare some of yer almighty power, Ah could do with some new thread myself!"

He lead the heroic duo into the centre of, well, it looked Liked Freedom City, only over two centuries ago.

"Last I saw, the fella yer looking for, he headin' down this way, to the stables. Looked like he was in a real good hurry too. Moved fast, faster' than a fella got a right to be, even in these days. Something mighty odd about that one, I said to myself. And then, bam! you two showed up!"

The stables were indeed ahead, a busy, respectable business, full of carts and horses.