Nightmare at 200,000 feet (IC)

GM

"I presume there is an access hatch where I can reach the mechanism and inspect what has happened, and possibly start repairs?"

"Of...of...course..." said Hanson "I'll show you...I'm probbaly most familiar with the design of the craft. Engineer by training, although don't do any design now...all paperwork and running a business..."

He coughed, like a nervous tic.

Hanson stood up and showed Doktor Archeville to the front of the craft, next to the pilot's cabin (which was closed).

"Here" he pointed, showing Doktor Archeville the seal below them. "This leads down to the bottom of the craft, where you can access a lot, but not all of the ship's workings. The ejector mechanism is down there, as technically the undercarriage is not part of the ejection capsule. Careful down there, it's airtight, but not air conditioned. Might be hot. Or cold. Depending on what's happening - I can't say I remember precisely. I know the principles, not the specifics..." his voice trailed off.

"Actually, it is getting a little cold in here...."

Warning! Temperature Regulation Offline!

Warning! Temperature Regulation Offline!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for my fantastic VVIP upgrade.. this just keeps getting better and better!

Kristin raised an eyebrow and instinctively wrapped her jacket a little tighter around her body as the computerized voice announced the failure of the temperature control systems. "So, Mister Hanson," she asked in conversational, yet clearly sarcastic tones. "How cold does it get up here when the heaters turn off? Am I going to need to get an extra jumper out of my bag?"

Now now, snarking at the engineer isn't going to help anything. And it'll upset the other passengers...

The teen frowned, then headed back towards her seat. With her arms folded across her chest she leaned her butt on the arm of the chair and got comfortable in a position where she could watch both Archeville and Hanson while also having a decent view out one of the windows.

The way that computer is going off at us the view might be the last thing I see, might as well enjoy it! she thought with dark humor.

GM

"I think you may just have too..." said Hanson to Glow's request.

"At this height, if we lose atmospheric integrity, its going to get very cold, very fast. That's if we aren't sucked out of the aircraft instantly..."

He gulped.

"Look, much as I want this to be a success, something is going very wrong here. It wouldn't surprise me if this is industrial sabotage...we need to abort, get down, and see what's happening..."

The lights in the cabin fluttered briefly. One oxygen mask fell from the overhead compartments.

"...take Marco, tell the pilot to abort, we are going to get down as soon as possible..."

As part of Archeville's incredible mind raced to figure out what could be going on, another part worked on what he had to work with. This included the people around him, in particular the young superheroine before him. What are her abilities? Telekinesis? I believe that is it. Yes, I am almost certain that is it.

"Young lady, what is the-" the Doktor began, but he was cut off by several loud RIIIPS. Others in the cabin looked frantically for the source of the sound, fearing some new damage, but Archeville stood still, mouth drawn tight, fists slowly clenching and unclenching, as the numerous space-folding technologies on his coat shorted out, causing the contents of the pockets to pop back into real space. A hundred pounds of tools, components, grenades (some of which had lights that blinked off), melee weapons of all shapes and sizes and materials (including a zweihander, almost as long as Kristin is tall!), and other assorted items warped back into his pockets, burst them at the seams, and fell to the ground.

Right, so this is taking out anything electronic, but for whatever reason is targeting me first. Hopefully just electronics, not chemical reactions.

The Doktor began gathering up his things and placing them in and around his chair. "So! Kristin! Telekinetic, yes? How big an object can you lift? Do you think you can hold this aircraft aloft? Wrap it in a bubble to keep our air and heat in? Or, at the very least, the cabin? Just in case I cannot get this fixed... which I am sure I can!" he added, trying to sound reassuring.

He pulled the remains of his coat about him, checking to see how bad the damage was. No leaks, nothing internal was breached, just the surface pockets. So, not a total loss. He made his way to the hatch Hanson had indicated, and worked to open it. "Oh, the pilot!," he called out to Marco and the others, "yes, go to him, check on him. In person, not just with the comms. Make sure he is okay! Kristin, would you mid going with them, in case... they need help?"

I would go see myself, but I have repairs to start. Or sabotage to undo...

Kristin watched in amazement as an incredible assortment of items, gadgets and weapons fell out of Archeville's rather unassuming looking lab coat. Whoa. That's a lot of stuff. Must be some serious science built into that thing. That sword is like two meters long. That must weigh a ton! .. wait are those grenades? Oh geez..

The question drew her attention from the pile of equipment on the floor and she shot a hard look at the scientist. Damn, put me on the spot why don't you? And in front of Jerk Jackson too. Damn.

"Yes, telekinetic that's right. Uh.. How much does the plane weigh? I can probably lift it for a little while at least?" she said. "Not sure what good that does while we're up here though. I have no idea if I can do something air-tight and trap heat though. I think it would be better if we can get to a safe altitude rather than relying on something like that."

She nodded at the suggestion that they should check on the pilot. "Sure I can go with if you like. The view out the front is probably pretty awesome anyway and I bet the cockpit of something this high-tech must be pretty impressive.."

GM

At the pilots cabin...

Captain Fawkes was an experienced military pilot who had flown all sorts of experimental craft. Hanson Industries had spared no expense in getting him. He was the best of the best.

Right now, he had undone his tie, and was sweating profusely. His co-pilot, Smith, a younger man with less experience but excellent aptitude, was faring no better, clicking switches left right and centre.

All around the cabin, flashing lights were on.

"I don't know what the devil is going on here" said Fawkes, visibly ruffled "it seems all our equipment is failing, one by one...I'm going to try to take her down. See if we can't come out of this with our skin's intact, eh?"

Bleep Bleep! said a little flashlight with the sign "Left Engine Oil Pressure" on it.

"Oh hell, now we are loosing fuel supply to the left wing...what the hell is going on?"

He looked out of the cockpit, with Marco and Kristen, and saw the splattered fuel trailing behind the craft. For a fleeting moment, they could all see a figure on the wing, impossibly standing there, fiddling with the engine. It was gone in an instant, so fast it seemed like a figment of there collective imagination.

GM

In the service level...

As Doktor Archeville poked his head down to the lower level of the Craft, he got a face full of blisteringly cold air. It was not heated, but fortunately environmentally sealed.

The service level was extremely cramped - allowing access to many key parts of the craft but with no space wasted on luxury. It was claustrophobic, to say the least, as well as badly lit.

The workings of the craft were laid bare, and a testament to first class engineering. All looked ship shape. Then, as he looked down a service tube, he saw an electric spark for a moment, and some dangling wires. Something was wrong, some damage had occurred, maybe twenty feet down the cramped tube...

The cockpit of the SX-1 would have been a wondrous sight for Kristin at any other time. The view was breathtaking, and the high-tech equipment was equally impressive. Even the pilot was pretty nice to look at. The situation and the frantic efforts of the pilots however left her little time to appreciate any of the marvels on display.

Good, she thought as the pilot decided to take the aircraft back to a lower altitude. Should solve the climate control problems at the very least.

Moments later yet another alarm was blinking and blaring, and as her attention was drawn to the left wing she was met with yet another amazing, if rather less welcome sight. What the hell? Is that someone on the wing? How is that possible up here?

As the shadowy figure disappeared, Kristin looked at the others in the cockpit. "You all saw that too right?" she gulped, then settled her nerves with a deep breath. Glow time.

"Alright, this is an attack not a malfunction. Marco, tell Archeville, quick as you can. Captain, we really really need to be at an altitude where we don't all die if pressure fails. If worse comes to worse I can land this jet if it's dead, but I can't land it if we're dead!"

Archeville grunted as he made his way down the access tubes. Tight fit! Definitely no wasted space here. Cold, too, but thankfully the chemical warming packs in my coat are still functioning; no power there, they are just a chemical reaction, so whatever is attacking us only damages powered systems. Have to say, though, I am a bit concerned about how some of these power conduits are braided together. Saves space, certainly, but it is also a greater risk for overheating.

Ah, I can bring that up with Hanson later, though. Right now, focus on whatever that thing was that I saw on the wing. Looked too big to be one of those 'gremlins' I encountered at the mall... but who knows how big those horrid little things get? I- oh, ho, what is this? Sparks up ahead... but did the creature do that? If whatever this thing is can shut down things without touching them, why would it need to cut power cables? Okay, almost there...

GM

The Doktor crawled down the hatch, clearly seeing the cause of the sparks.

Sabotage!

A professional job too. Expert even. Extremely expert. Whilst the damage was done with some degree of force, a rending of metal and wire, it was clinical nonetheless - a short circuit, a web of cables that at first looked completely random, but on closer inspection was a carefully designed work of genius to slowly build up and dissapate power in a damaging way...

Meanwhile...

The plane lurched, and then fell in a sickening drop, until the captain managed to regain control.

"We've lost 80% power to the left wing..." he gasped, his voice croaking and sweat pouring off his brow. He loosened his collar still further, and finally flung his tie off completely.

Again, there was a sickening yaw, and drop. As they dropped, a series of weights from the Gym sailed through the passenger compartment, and smashed into the pilot's door, straight through it. One of them caught the poor captain a glancing blow on his head, knocking him out cold. Two others hit the dashboard, causing some damage to the instruments.

The third hit the windscreen, causing an ominous crack in the window.

A third lurch and dizzy drop...until the co-pilot heroically got the plane under control. But as he did, another couple of dumb bells sailed down the passenger compartment...

Kristin almost fell as the SX-1 lurched violently, barely catching herself on the back of the pilot's chair and unable to react in time as the first set of dumbbells blasted through the door and hammered into the pilot, the controls, and worst of all the windscreen.

Aww hell if that breaks we're in so much trouble...

The teenage hero took on a distinctive green glow as her telekinetic barrier snapped into place and she stepped squarely into the doorway of the cockpit. With her hands on the door frame she held herself in place as the copilot recovered control of the aircraft bucking aircraft.

"Didn't you idiots think to tie the damn weights down?" she growled as more weights came hurtling down the center of the plane. A haze of green light reached out to snatch them from the air, but the turbulence spoiled her aim and she was forced to accept the impacts as the series of weights hammered into her shielding. Luckily the defenses held and the dumbbells dropped to the floor at her feet.

With the danger averted for the moment Kristin glanced back into the cockpit. "Is that window going to hold?" she asked of the struggling copilot. "Because if it won't I don't think we want to be all the way up here when it fails.."

Whoa, big lurch! On the bright side, we get low enough we can cross suffocating and freezing of our list... alright, Viktor, focus on the work.

Archeville let out a long, low whistle as he examined the damage. Oh, my... now, that is a disturbing combination of precision and brute force. These wires were torn out, not cut, but at exactly the right spot. And those bits hooked up to generate feedback loops, that would build until it triggered a feedback loop there, building util it triggered a loop there, and so on... like a timer! I would admire the work who ever did, with their bare hands, no less... if I were not so busy working with my bare hands to undo it!

GM

In the Cockpit, with Glow

"The Damn weights were secured!" yelled Marco, loosing his rag. He ran sweaty hands through sweaty hair, his normal perfectly groomed posture in dissaray.

"Oh Gods, I think I'm getting to be sick..." he mumbled, before doubling over and emptying his stomach onto the floor of the cockpit.

"Nice timing!" yelled back the Co-pilot, Smith, shaking Fawkes to see if he could rouse him from his slumber. The man was out cold, and bleeding from a particularly nasty gash on his head. The injury looked pretty severe.

Smith thumped the console in frustration.

"This is all turning to hell! I gotta stay here, see if I can't get this thing down" he said to Glow, wiping his brow. "You gotta see if you can get help for the Captain...he looks busted up bad...tough old guy, but that blasted weight caught him hard...he looks bad...I don't suppose you are trained in first aid?"

He looked back through the broken door to the passanger suite.

"And make sure those damn weights are secure...even better, throw them overboard or melt them or something...this is beyond coincidence. Somebody here wants this ship down. I don't like the look of the Jackson guy..."

"Damn reporter..." he mumbled.

Meanwhile...

The Cinema screen of the passenger cabin flicked onto view, without anybody turning it on. At full, deafening volume, it played an old black and white episode of the Twilight Zone.

GM

In the Service tube...

The boobytrap was no match for the genius of Doktor Archeville. In a moment, whilst not repaired, the potentially dangerous wiring was disarmed.

"You got me there...." whispered a voice just a bit further down the service tube.

The thing was no more than two feet high, looking like a warped imp, or gnome...or...

Gremlin...

It was grey, with crunched up, puffy features on its face. It was hard to say what it's skin was made of. It looked out of focus, fuzzy. Otherwise, it had two arms, two legs, long, gangly, with particularly long fingers that ended in precise nails, good for both interfering with complex machinery, and equally, if need be, dishing out a nasty scratch.

"I should have known you would be too clever for that..." it whispered. At least, it sounded like a whisper, but it was loud, cold, and clear.

"But this is a good game, is it not? Fear not, my master...I have no intention of letting you die..." it smiled, with a cold cruel smile.

"Just destroying everything you ever built or loved!"

Kristin wrinkled her nose at Marco as he threw up rather messily on the floor. Ick that's disgusting. So glad I don't get motion sick..

The pilot definitely seemed to be in a bad way as she crouched and looked at the ugly head wound. "I'm not doctor.." she replied to the co-pilot. "Hopefully one of the passengers knows first aid. You got a medical kit on this thing somewhere?" The young heroine straightened and stepped back into the passenger compartment, careful to avoid getting any of Marco's vomit on her shoes.

"Do any of your have medical training?" she called out to the rest of the passengers. "If you do, get up here, the rest of you get into your seats and buckle up tight. We've got some turbulence going on and it could get worse before it gets better!"

With the air still blazing green around her from her telekinetic barrier she started to make her way aft towards the gym, sparing a glare for Jack Jackson as she passed. "Not a word!" she hissed at the reporter, hoping that the fact that he was in as much danger as anyone else would keep him from being too painful now that it was rather evident that she was more than just your average non-heroic telekinetic.

"... was? Was? What?!"

Okay, it is about the same size and shape as those 'gremlins' I faced in the mall, but those had to touch things, so how did it shut off my gear without touching me? More importantly, why did it call me Master?! Maybe if I get it talking...

"Game?," the Doktor spat out after regaining his composure, anger blotting out his confusion. "you think this is a game? There are other people on board, you are endangering them! And if this craft crashes, do you know how many others might get hurt?! What kind of game is that? What kind of thing are you?"

"you think this is a game? There are other people on board, you are endangering them! And if this craft crashes, do you know how many others might get hurt?! What kind of game is that? What kind of thing are you?"

"You started it!" snapped back the Gremlin, looking directly at the Doktor.

"You don't remember, do you? oh that's priceless! I knew you where neurotic, but this caps it all!" said the creature, doing a little dance.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I can't hurt you. You had enough sense to build in that failsafe when you made me. But everything else, you see, is fair game!"

"Oh don't look so shocked!" it said, waving a bored hand at the Doktor. "What did you expect? your fractured mind, bits and pieces of yourself floating around that mess of a skull?" it said, tapping the side of its head emphatically.

"Some neurosis given form?" it hissed, then mocked the Doktor's Voice...

"All these creations! So dangerous! I could destroy the world with my inventions! they are dangerous! dangerous! I must destroy them!" it wailed, with operatic melodrama.

"And hey presto, you built me! the failsafe!" it smiled, jamming its thumbs into its chest.

"And here I am. Wrecking everything. This is just the beginning. The game. Everything you build, I destroy! hahahaha!"

The creature laughed merrily, caught up in the moment.

"So don't whine to me, you pathetic, drivelling, snot-nosed excuse for a man. You can't even keep your head together. The world is lucky to have me, destroying the doomsday devices of a fruitcake mad scientist!"

"Don't talk to me about the game. You started it!"

Archeville's jaw dropped, and he suddenly felt very ill.

"I... you... what? I- ohhh... I remember!"

I did make that thing! Or, rather, another persona did, one that was more active in making sure my 'Evil Side' did not get out of control, or to reduce the damage he/I could do. It - I - made this Gremlin to wreck 'my' devices...

"... but why are you attacking the plane?" the Doktor choked out. "I had no hand in its construction, not even its design! These people had nothing to do with me!"

GM

"... but why are you attacking the plane? I had no hand in its construction, not even its design! These people had nothing to do with me!"

"So?" replied Gremlin, sneering at the Doktor.

"It's a magnificent piece of work, is it not?" he said, caressing the sides of the service hatch lovingly "A true masterpiece of engineering!"

He smiled wickedly.

"The thing is, good Doktor, you are too clever for your own good!" he laughed and waved his finger around his head indicating the insanity of his creator.

"How would I know if you had created something magnificent or not? I'm not as smart as you, just smart enough to do my job without going mad like you. I'm not here to hack into computers, or work out how made what, or how, or just how much you had a hand in designing or not designing something..."

"Oh no, you knew that, didn't you. A man smart as you could easily cover his tracks. And I'm designed to be a fail safe. To do my job. Nothing too complicated, no loop holes you could exploit. No, you defeated yourself there! If you are around, I break things! hahaha!"

"Now, I must confess I did go around a bit developing my own personality a bit. I guess some of your twisted psyche rubbed off on me. But I'm not a tortured, pathetic soul like you!" he said, mocking the Doktor with a pseudo-sad face.

"No, I enjoy what I do! It's fantastic! You make it, and I smash it! Yin and Yang! Black and White! What a perfect marriage!"

There we go, keep talking, I can determine just how guilty of all this I am after Kristin and I stop it and get this craft landed safely...

"That... that seems terribly short-sighted of me," he said with conviction returning to his voice. "Advanced super-tech often has its own signatures, and if I -- or some part of me -- had made you, grown you, as a failsafe against me should I go completely mad, I would program you to go only after the tech with my signature elements. I mean, I assume I did mentally program you, that I did not teach you English and sabotage techniques in the normal fashion. Why English, anyway, why not German? Ah, I am getting off-track," he waved dismissively, "my point is, leaving you to go off on any technology that I happen to be near, well, that could even be a boon to me! If I had gone off the rails, and others managed to stop me, put me in Blackstone, would you not come out and wreck my cell, and in the process free every other supervillain there? That would be the perfect way for me to get out and continue whatever reign of terror I started, not a way to stop me!"

I really hope Kristin is having better luck than I am!

GM

Meanwhile...back on deck!

"...." started Jackson before Glow hissed at him.

He looked sweaty and pale, but kind of excited alongside the fear.

"I can't believe it whatascoop! the scoop of the century! oh please please let me get out of here alive! Dr Archeville sabotages new superplane in fit of jealousy!!"

"Disaster from Down Under Lets Rip her Dangerous Powers!"

He mumbled under his breath whilst clutching his seat.

Mr. Namakura, Hanson's assistant stood up, wobbling slightly as the plane once again trembled.

"I am trained in First Aid!" he said confidently with cool. The man looked quite calm, professional, focussed.

Yvonne, the other flight attendant opened up an overhead appartment and brought out a first aid kit. It was a top of the range medical bag, containing enough equipment to perform anything but brain surgery in, from what Kristen could see.

Mr. Namakura bowed and quickly took the medical bag, before turning to Kristen.

"Where is the..."

He was interrupted by an WHUMPH noise, as the temperature suddenly dropped, and the sound of rending metal and hissing air filled the room. Oxygen masks dropped overhead, to a grateful Jackson and Hanson. Mr. Namakura reached out to grab onto a seat with military reflexes, but poor Yvonne was not so fast.

WARNING! DECOMPRESSION!

WARNING! DECOMPRESSION!

Kristen could feel the air being sapped from her lungs, and saw Yvonne stumble and tumble to the rear of the plane, along with Hanson's breifcase and Jacksons camera, and a few loose weights from the gym - all in the direction of the evaporating air.

WARNING! DECOMPRESSION!

WARNING! DECOMPRESSION!

Years of climbing, tumbling and gymnastics paid off for Kristin as she caught her balance easily despite the lurching of the stricken aircraft. The diminutive telekinetic straightened as air started to rush out of the breach at the back of the plane and simply let herself react without thought, trusting her instinctive control.

The dancing green energy of her telekinetic barrier expanded rapidly. It passed through people and the hull of the SX-1 and enclosed it in a green sphere of light. The energy hardened, tightened and became airtight, then snapped back in close around the plane with another loud WHUMPH. The rush of escaping air became a quiet hiss, then stopped completely as a minor adjustment to the field sealed it off completely.

Kristin held her place for a moment then glanced over at the other passengers, her eyes fixing on the professional bodyguard. "The pilot is injured, can you check on him please? And tell the co-pilot we need down now. The rest of you sit down and strap up. I don't think the ride is going to get any smoother."

gm

Meanwhile, in the service tunnel...

"Boon?" replied Gremlin, becoming progressively more irritated with the Doktor. "I am far from a Boon. I am...wait what was that?"

Its slightly pointed ears pricked up at the sound of decompression, followed by resolution due to Glow's mighty force field.

"Wait...that should have worked! Why aren't we...." it said, confused, forehead furrowed and visibly vexed.

"Wait!" it repeated again, holding out a hand to the Doktor.

"Let me think...how...why..." it mumbled until its eyes focussed in pure frustration.

"Damnation!" it cursed "I'm just as insane as you!" it shouted, stamping its foot before looking at the Doktor..."

"Curse you, curse you!" its shouted, pointing a finger at the Doktor "You modelled me on you, didn't you? So I too have picked up that subconscious desire to defeat myself! Curse you!"

"I remember now...I sowed the seed of my own failure, just like you! I texted that superheroine, hacked the computers, just to get her on board, to save your pathetic skin! Curse my unconscious!" it yelled, banging its head, quite forcibly, against the side of the hatch.

"Well it won't save you! it won't! I'm stronger than you! I won't let my ridiculous unconscious undermine my fine work! I'll stop her!" it yelled, its fingernails extended into nasty nail-like claws.

And with that, Gremlin seemed to dissolve, turning into a flood of almost microscopic little dots, that the Doktor could see where nanobots that made up its existence, and slithered, like a shadow, down the other way of the tube, creeping upwards to the main deck...

... hunh.

Archeville worked quickly to finish what repairs he could ion the cramped space, but his mind never let go of the creature he'd faced.

So, nanotech, not biological. Good, now I know which direction to go in fighting it.. assuming I can find any technology that escaped his effect. Ah, there is one thing -- the nanites in my body! Either my own bioelectrical field shielded them, or the Gremlin's "do no direct harm to me" directive prevented it from shutting them down. Perhaps if I introduce some of my nanites into it, they could attack, but its own systems would not fight back since it would still detect them as 'me'... though I have no idea how far the 'do not directly harm me' directive in it actually is. Ah, but as a collection of nanotech, it could be reprogrammed... though surely I would have put in failsafes against Evil!Me doing just that. Aaah!

Finishing what work he could do, Archeville scampered his way back up to rejoin the others as fast as he could. "Whatever Kristin id going, I hope she is able to keep it -- us -- up!"