Something Eldritch This Way Comes [IC]

Lone Star

Etain let the discussion wander away as she moved to the window and glanced out towards the front. She could spot the part of the lawn that had been burned by the fire, it wasn't enough concentration to be blocked off, but the trace made her avert her eyes out of instinct. She pinched her nose and sat down. This made things complicated, the magic was just inherently wrong, and any trace of him using it at Parkhurst would leave a mark. She really needed to get someone to preform proper purfication rituals, and even after that she needed to make measures for prevention. Banning Blake outright wasn't fair, both because of his involvement in the mansions founding and because in his human form was unlikely to make a big enough imprint. But if he practiced here, used the simulation room, or really any magic connected to that form it could likely corrupt the leylines the house stood on. It was, complicated, she would get into the details slowly, but for now she moved to the computer,

"Blake, I am grateful for your understanding, and I would love to make it up to you. But I would like to ask for my sake for you to not use your magic at Parkhurst, it leaves an imprint which while not as blinding as your full form is rather unpleasant and I do believe it may be upsetting for the ghosts as well as they are much more linked into magic of this building then the mortal residents."

Blake was taken aback by this response. He scratched his head, and thought for a moment. "I mean, is there any way I could practice here? I mean, a lot of my books are stored up here, but I guess I could just go to the practice rooms at Claremont if I need to do any combat training." He knew it wasn't her fault that he had these powers, certainly not, but asking him to practice somewhere else made him feel a little put out of the picture.

"It does make sense, though. I get what you're saying." He smiled at her, and nodded. "So, maybe we can all hang out sometime? As...people?"

"Wait. Now you're telling him he can't even come here and do what this place was supposedly made for, and practice with his powers?"

Corbin's face was set in a deep frown now, at the thought of his friend first getting attacked with no warning, then told to basically never come to a place Blake had contributed to directly.

"You're telling me with all the magical know-how in this place you guys couldn't rig up some sort of "buffer" or "shield" or something? I mean, yeah, I get it, magic of the Unspeakable One and all that. But you've got like a half-dozen different mages running around, all with different powers, and instead of saying "hold off on practicing until we put up some wards" or something like that, we're jumping right to "Blake you should never show up here again, especially to do anything magical at all"? When Blake's one of the folks who helped set up this place?"

The indignation in his voice was clear; Blake might be taking this lying down, but Corbin was still a bit peeved about the injury his friend had taken for what he saw as no real good reason.

"I mean, sheesh, at least talk to the other folks who work here before you vote him off the island, you know?"

Etain put a hand on her head and looked at Corbin through the screen,

"Do not twist my words Corbin Hughes,"

She had to catch herself, she was not used to snapping but she evened her tone as she pinched her nose,

"I am not banning him, and I am making a suggestion that I have good reason to make. Magic is not just some convinent power one can throw around, it is alive, it has its own intentions and natures. The strengh and nature of Blakes is one that is very hard to contain, it corrodes things over time, and seeks to corrupt them with insanity. You have to understand this place does not have the best history, it has been corrupted before, and that corruption grew into a very powerful nihil that had killed and enslaved the local ghosts into murdering whoever lay foot on the ground indiscriminately."

She put a hand through her hair,

"As for a sheilding, or in this case purfication, that is not something that can be created overnight, or even over the course of some months. Even then he is not ban from coming here, learning things, using the libraries. Any practical magics he can try, he can travel elsewhere, we have talsimans set to take the user anywhere in the world they wish, and scrying pools to show to make sure any such locations are abandoned and safe."

She turned her attention from the screen to Blake,

"I am sorry, sorry there are likely to be,"

She let out a breath,

"limitations in place now that were not before. But, I will make sure you are accomedated for and welcomed even if I cannot do so in person."

• 2 weeks later...

Blake listened to Etain's words, and sighed deeply. His hand ran through his hair, and the look on his face was of someone who had given up. His powers, although strange they were, seemed to never be a problem for him. However, since finding out that they could actually affect the spirits of the house, all Blake wanted was for them to go away again. He regretted the day that he summoned a portion of The Unspeakable One to this realm. Damn, dude. You've really messed up big time.

He stood up, waving to his friend Corbin. "I...should probably get going. I'll see you back at Claremont though, buddy. Thanks for sticking up for me, but I don't think I have a place here."