Shock and Flaw (IC)

Supercape

GM

Thursday 2nd Feb 2012

"Yo, dude, I need this fixed"

The man in the computer shop spoke directly, and, truth be told, somewhat rudely, to Thomas Morgan, aka Voltage. As he did, he placed on the counter a computer - or at least what was left of one. It looked fried, as if it had eaten a million volts and hadn't enjoyed the meal.

The customer was a shortish, but broad man, with a shaved head, a leather jacket, and an assortment of tatoo's, the most obvious was a spider's web covering half his face. A few scars and a broken nose did not add to his beauty, but completed the tale of a rough man. His manner fitted him.

He looked around, with a somewhat aggressive and arrogant body posture. Thomas was sure he was flexing his muscles just for show - not that he was particularly strong.

"This is where Sam hangs, yeah?" he asked Thomas.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas nearly slapped his hand to his forehead. People did this constantly. They expected computer repair to mean 'miracles'. A brief fantasy coursed through his mind, a large blast of electric current firing through the air, and one very rude customer on his back, unconscious. Of course, it was a momentary flight of fancy, he would never harm someone like that, even if they kinda deserved it.

"Sir, I can take a look at it, but unfortunately, I can make no promises. It looks badly damaged. I can try to see if I can save the hard drive, but I doubt it. I can look at it, see if it's fixable, and go from there. As for my brother, he's not here right now. He doesn't work the store except sometimes to clean up. I'm not sure where he's at.".

He didn't quite look like one of Sam's usual friends, that was sure. He took a picture with his mind of his face and resolved to see if he had a criminal record, and what kind. He mentally shrugged. That would wait for later.

"It'll hardly take five minutes to sit down. Would you like something to drink while I give this a look? Coffee? Cup of water?"

GM

"It'll hardly take five minutes to sit down. Would you like something to drink while I give this a look? Coffee? Cup of water?"

"Cut the freakin' Jibber Jabber and just fix the goddamn computer before I fix your face!" screamed the man, bursting with aggression. He pulled out a knuckleduster from his leather jacket.

"You scrawny little nerd. Ill bust you up you little prick. Running this little joint after your stuck up private education, mommy and daddy helping you all the way. You wouldn't last one minute on the street, you ain't nuthin' you little pussy!"

"At least Sam has some balls. Didn't say his brother was such a wuss!" he added.

With that, he put his heavily booted foot through a glass container housing some gadgets, which promptly smashed with a loud tinkling sounds.

"Yeah? What you gonna do about it, loser? cry? phone the pow-lees? ha, you loser!" he laughed directly at Thomas face.

"Just fix the computer you pathetic nerd, and pronto!"

Thomas just shrugged. After the incident with the insane doctor and the crazy kung fu robot, this man offered no real threat to him. Still, he couldn't exactly blast him, despite what he really deserved.

"I went to public schools, actually. My parents insisted on it." He said, maintaining his composure. He wasn't afraid of this guy. While breaking his cover was absolutely the last thing he wanted, he was both fully prepared and capable of launching him through the window if that's what he needed to do."Your computer looks like it might have some illegal stuff on it, I don't know, man. I mean, what if the police saw this? I think that's grounds for a full scale investigation, don't you? I mean, it's standard procedure to check for viruses and the like, and I could report it. Or, you could pay me for the repairs, pay me for the damage, and get out of the store."

GM

"Or, you could pay me for the repairs, pay me for the damage, and get out of the store."

At the mention of illegal content and the indignant request for payment, the thug exploded.

"What the %$!$%!" he roared, two parts disbelief to one part rage. "You jus' bought yerself a ticket to hospital, you little guttersnipe!" he snarled, bringing up his knuckleduster.

Another booted foot hit the glass between them, and he vaulted over the remains of the case.

"You gonna need a good dentist, boy!" he finished, for good measure, as he took a swing for the Thomas' Jaw.

Thomas shifted out of the way, amazed at his new-found reflexes. He guessed that fighting crime had gotten him better at getting out of the way.

He balled up his fist and went for a strike right to the larger man's temple. He knew, from passive knowledge of anatomy, that it would hurt. The larger man's eyes went wide and he dropped to his knees, before dropping on his face. He wasn't unconscious, but his head was swimming, his vision was blurry, and he was in no position to defend himself. Thomas calmly walked over to the counter and picked up the man's broken, non-functioning computer.

"Now grab your broken computer and get the heck out of my store..." Thomas said, dropping the computer on the floor unceremoniously.

GM

"I'm gonna bust up your face so bad..." said the Thug, as he lay sprawled on the floor, his eyes glazed and rolled and his right arm twitching with useless flops that were passing for right hooks in the man's head.

"Oh yeah, take that, and that..." he said, his arm flopping again.

An equally glazed grin crossed his face as he started mumbling a country and western song about true love.

With a shake, he cleared his head.

"Wha? I mean...wha...?" he said, realising what he had been doing "I..mean...yeah...heavy metal, hard rock...that stuff, that's what I was singing..." he said, still concussed but now aware of his situation.

He got up to his feet, staggered left and right, lost for words, and the wandered out of the store, still dazed...

"Ugh, gotta do cleanup..." Thomas said, bringing out the broom. The guy did a couple hundred dollars in damage. He could call the police, but he had a sneaking suspicion that the data on his computer would give a much bigger judgment than mere vandalism. Besides, the case wasn't that expensive, and his dad could afford it.

Still, cleaning glass was never fun. He paused. Why was he looking for Sam? He didn't look like any of Sam's friends. A growing sense of dread came over him. What had his brother gotten into?

GM

The next morning...

Sam didn't come home that night. Where was he?

Police are investigating an attempted murder last night whined the radio. It was the next morning, just before the shop opened up. The damage from last night was swept up and cleaned, although the glass cabinets still needed replacing.

A Mr. Oswald Crane, who goes by the street name of 'Spiderbite' was seriously shot last night, and is in intensive care. Police say the shooting was gang related. We turn know to our expert speaker Dr. Phil Borders, professor of social well being, Freedom City University as we discuss...

As Dr Borders, a small man with a carefully placed smile, glasses, and goatee, started to explain how the youth of today were just troubled and needed this and that intervention, the face of "Spiderbite" was shown.

It didn't need perfect super memory to recognise that tatoo of a half cobweb! The man Thomas had knocked out last night!

Just as the Clock struck 9, a large black sedan pulled up right outside the computer shop, and two very large suited men stepped out, followed by an older, smalled but equally suited man, all three wearing mirrored shades...

Attempted murder, guys named Spiderbite, this situation was looking worse and worse. Where was his brother in all of this? Was he involved in some sort of gang? What the heck was going on? He was seriously concerned for his brother's safety, but he'd have to play nice with the men who just pulled up to the shop.

Thomas sighed. He hoped these men weren't here to see him about the situation from the previous day. He had only punched the guy, after he wrecked his shop. He even had security footage that would show it was self defense.

He stood behind the counter and straightened his clothes a bit. If they were going to question him, he had a sizable alibi to the whole affair.

But what if they were here about Sam? He closed his eyes. All he could do is hope for the best.

GM

The older man walked in, accompanied by his two bodyguards. He looked around, slightly dismissively, at the shop, noting the smashed glass cabinets, even though they had been cleared up. His eyes stayed hidden behind the dark glasses.

"I see" he said, his voice as cold as tombstones.

"What a lovely little place you have here" he said, with a flat voice that indicated he thought next to nothing of the establishment. His tone was as dry as bones.

"I understand you had a computer dropped off here yesterday, for repairs?" he asked with the same voice.

"I have come to collect it" he said, as a simple statement of fact.

"Sure thing Sir!" he said, cheerfully, not wanting to tick off this man. Sure, he could probably blast him out of the shop, but, secret identities and all.

Besides, he'd already memorized everything on there that he'd need to know.

"It was pretty banged up." he said, walking to the back room. "I have no idea what happened to it, but I was able to save it."

He put the computer on the counter and smiled as cheerfully as he could, considering the situation at hand. "That'll be fifty dollars, please."

He suspected that the men would try to leave without paying. Still, he planned to investigate the situation very soon. If they decided to try to take it and leave without paying, he'd let them do so without resistance.

The incident with Spiderbite yesterday had been a lucky shot, and he was sure these men might be armed with more than fists. He couldn't risk fighting openly with his powers. His secret identity was not worth fifty dollars, and neither was his life.

GM

The man frowned at the cost. One of the bruisers stepped forward and said, his voice full of intimidation:

"Little you little dipsqueak, you got as much chance of getting money for..."

"Shut up" said the older man, his voice soft and cold. With just two words, the bruised stopped silent, and stepped back. He couldn't resist a snarl at Thomas.

"Fifty bucks. Of course. Job well done" he said, his voice laden with a lack of conviction.

As the other bruiser took the computer, they walked out slowly. As they reached the door, the older man spun round.

"Ah. You know, I just wondered if, perhaps, when you were fixing this. And well done, by the way...I just wondered if you might have snooped around the files. You know, you look like a smart kid. I know you wouldn't do a thing like that, haha, but you know, I just thought I would ask, in case you might have been that stupid..."

His laughter was completely hollow and deadly.

"No, sir." Thomas said, trying his best to remain calm. He knew that if push came to shove, he could destroy all three men in seconds, but he absolutely, positively did not want to do that. "It was a hardware job, didn't even need to power it on."

Still, he had to get to investigating where Sam was, it was essential. He wanted these creepy men out of his store.

GM

"Hahaha" laughed the man, and with a wave of each arm and a look, he got the two bruisers laughing too.

"Hahaha" they repeated, flatly.

"Yes, of course" said the man, slowly walking towards Thomas.

"Please allow me to introduce myself. Archie Avretti. That's mister Avretti, to you. Now, I been in this business a long time, boy. And you know, it's the kind of business which relies on me judging peoples character. Now you, I see a smart kid, good at what he does. Maybe too good, sometimes. Studies hard, makes his Mom and Dad proud. Maybe gotta good future. But you see, I also got to be good at when people ain't exactly being honest with me. And you know, I do like honesty" he smiled without mirth.

"So let me ask you kid. What did you find on that computer? huh?"

He backed up, and gulped. He was a bit nervous, and acting a bit, too. He definitely did not want this idiot in his face like this. He knew that something bad would go down if he suddenly attacked. Lots of bad things would go down. They might have to go into hiding, for one.

"I've never seen anything like it, and I didn't understand what it was, I just do computers, honestly." He said, completely honestly. Whether or not he intended to deduce it's contents was another matter. At the moment, he only suspected the implications.

"I've never seen anything like it, and I didn't understand what it was, I just do computers, honestly."

"Better..." said Avetti, leaning back and scrutinising the young man from behind his impenetrable sunglasses.

He brought out his wallet, and dumped a hundred dollars on the table in front of Thomas.

"You see, you can be smart if you try. Consider this a donation from a generous benefactor to help a smart kid towards his education" he said with his customary wan smile.

He went again towards the door, this time getting so far as to open it.

"And to keep his big dumb mouth shut" he added, once more with a smile "then we can all be friends. With no need for any unpleasantness..."

"Don't worry Kid. You are ok as long as you stay quiet. Same goes for that loud mouth brother of yours too. He can consider his slate wiped clean. Of course, that's as long as I don't get misfortunate, you know, with the police harrassing an innocent citizen like, well, like me for instance. Then my associates may wish to do more business with you..." he said.

"Come on guys, I got to visit somebody in hospital. I hear he is about to die..." he said, as he headed towards his car...

Thomas stood, calmly, waiting for the man to leave. He felt stifled, unable to respond to this man the way he wanted to. He gazed down at the money.

His fist closed angrily around the bill as he growled. He stared out the door, eyes like daggers. He crushed the money in his hands. A hundred dollars wasn't a small amount of money, but he wasn't about to keep it, not by a long shot. He would not be part of taking money from a, a mobster.

He crushed it in his hand, letting current build up in his hand. His mind raced to all sorts of possibilities. Plans, ideas, concepts. He would shut whatever they were up to down. He swore to himself that.

Whatever they were doing, was bad news. He wasn't going to let it stand.

His hand opened, and small pieces of burnt paper fell onto the floor.

Moments later, Thomas was in the back room, putting his Voltage costume on. He'd go talk to this Spiderbite, see what was going on with his brother.

He'd have to be careful, he wasn't very good at interrogation.

He headed to the back door and took off into the air. It was time to get some answers.

GM

A few minutes later...

Doctor O'Flannigan was a handsome lady in her thirties, with unfashionable glasses and unfashionable ginger hair that marred her good looks. She was tall and gangly, and slightly clumsy, but it was clear she knew what she was doing. She was working in the Intensive Care Unit, and everybody trusted her. And liked her, too.

"I'm afraid its no admittance" she said, politely yet firmly to Voltage.

If the police weren't bad enough, know its Superheroes... she sighed to herself.

Two police officers sat outside ITU, both looking extremely bored and eating donuts. Their bulging waistlines paid testimant to their diet.

"You know, police protection and all that?" she explained, in a voice that suggested she had little in common with the police and their procedures. "Besides which, you are an infection risk..." she finished, crossing her arms and looking Voltage in the eye.

"I just want to talk with him. I'm pretty sure he's involved with some sort of illegal experiments." "I know you're just trying to do your job, and I understand that. There could be people in danger, lives, even. On top of that, I'm pretty sure his boss is on his way. Someone who's got less than legal hobbies.

He groaned inwardly, but didn't let it show. She was trying to do her job, obviously, but he wasn't about to let that stop his investigation. This situation was crazy. He needed her to listen to him.

GM

"Sorry, sparky" she said, as she looked at his costume with the emblazoned lightning bolt boldly painted on it.

"You know, you seem like a nice guy" she said more warmly "and you got a way with words, not like these jokers..." she added, pointing her thumb at the police officers, who barely registered her.

"I guess you would do a good job of looking into this. But I got a Job, and I got these boys in blue looking over my shoulder. And rules is rules. Even if they are wrong". She shrugged, and looked down at the floor rather shamefacedly, blushing a bit.

"You know, I would like to help. If some boss is on his way, we better tell the police. To be honest, he is busted up so badly, he is half way to the other side anyway. Shot twice, in the chest. Professional hit job, they said. Sniper rifle, probably. Guy is lucky to be alive...." she added.

"And besides, he is sedated at the moment. I doubt he could talk much anyway. Keeps mumbling country and western love songs, and something about some 'nerd' he is gonna 'bust up', whatever that means..."

"He may have been shot by his own boss, which means that guy might be on his way here to finish the job. If I can talk to him, I can possibly get out of him what his boss doesn't want him to say. I was also going to stay behind and make sure the boss doesn't try anything, like shoot up a hospital. I'm not leaving until the boss does."

He wanted to make sure she understood that he wasn't about to let this situation just sit, he planned on staying until the boss himself left.

GM

"He may have been shot by his own boss, which means that guy might be on his way here to finish the job. If I can talk to him, I can possibly get out of him what his boss doesn't want him to say. I was also going to stay behind and make sure the boss doesn't try anything, like shoot up a hospital. I'm not leaving until the boss does."

Doctor O'Flannagan kept her arms crossed, but she was convinced. "Well, I can't let you in...Infection control apart from anything else...but..."

"Officers" she called out, turning to the two cops and tapping her foot "did you hear what this man said? someone is coming to kill our friend in there, that's something you should act on, isn't it?"

The two men looked at each other and nodded, putting aside there half-eaten donuts.

"Err, that sounds pretty serious" said the first cop "we better call for back up, or something...can we move the patient? damn, this is going to hell..."

The second cop was already on the radio, calling for SWAT backup.

"Whats going on, Voltage?" asked the first Cop, who clearly kept up to date with the heroes of Freedom City, even new ones "whats coming? and how did you get the heads up?"

"I stumbled across a broken PC with a lot of bad stuff on it. Experiments and such. It belonged to the guy who's in the room there. I've got good reason to believe that they're coming to 'talk' to him, maybe even kill him. I need to talk to him while he still might be lucid. It could be a drug ring for all I know."

Voltage looked at the two officers, entreating. He'd beaten the men here by a long shot, but he didn't have forever to talk. They would be here sooner or later.

GM

"Ah..." nodded the Cop, fingering the gun at his holster. "Sounds like trouble. I'll call in for backup. Doctor..." he said "in the mean time, we need to think about moving the patient, another hospital, in secret. But right now, we call for back up, and you can go in..." he said, starting on his phone.

"Not so fast!" said Doctor O'Flannagan, putting a hand on Voltages chest (perhaps a little flirtatiously, Voltage noted)

"Its still an intensive care unit. Which means infection control. Where has that costume been, eh? flying around, beating up thugs, its probably got blood and dirt and goodness knows what in it! You need something clean to wear! I can lend you some hospital surgical gowns..." she added helpfully.

She looked like she meant it, and practiced what she preached. She was wearing the pale green surgical gowns of a practicing hospital doctor herself, underneath her spanking clean white coat.