In one moment, a hero is born

Thunder King

"A hero must always be ready." Thomas said to himself, leaning against the wall. "Am I really a hero though?"

He'd worked through every possible scenario in his head a thousand times. He could imagine exactly how to do this thing, or that thing. In theory, he had fought dozens of villains and thugs, considering every angle. He had researched the capabilities of every commonly wielded firearm, all standard equipment, and had even researched hostage search and rescue protocols.

Why was he so scared? Because all of the theory in the real world is nothing if you make the wrong mistake. People die, hostages get shot, innocents are hurt. Those are things every superhero must deal with. That's not counting potential property damage.

"This just in..." He heard coming from the living room. Thomas's heart beat faster. Two armed thugs had grabbed a little girl during a botched convenience store robbery, only a few block away from his house.

He scanned the internet for news. The police were doing their best, but a hostage made it much harder to catch them. They looked desperate, she might be in immediate harm. If he didn't act, he was afraid the girl would die without help. Thomas Morgan teleported to his bedroom and changed into his costume, transforming into Voltage. He flew out the window without a second thought.

If he had taken time to think it over, he might have thought about the risks. He might have considered the problems with trying to stop criminals as a rookie hero. He also might have realized that if he failed to stop them, he would hang up his costume and abort his superheroic career before it even really began. He didn't think about any of that. He thought of a scared little girl in the clutches of two desperate criminals. He thought of the best, most efficient way to stop them.

He knew where they were headed, it was all over the internet. He took to the skies instantly and flew towards an intersection. Stopping the car mid-drive would be a terrible idea. He spotted it, with several police cars trailing. They were probably worried about hurting the child. Voltage was going to make her a non-issue. He knew this intersection had a camera, and it was a simple move to hack into the camera and take a peek into it. They'd shoved the girl into the back seat.

Within less than a second, he was in the backseat of the car with his hand on the girl's wrist. He positioned himself right in front of her and, before the man could react, was gone. The man immediately realized that something had happened, and cursed loudly. The situation had just gotten worse for him.

Voltage reappeared on top of a nearby building with a very scared little girl next to him. She cried out loud and pulled away from him, before turning and realizing he was wearing a mask and costume.

"You're a superhero!" She said, suddenly recognizing the situation she was in. Voltage couldn't help but grin. He'd been recognized. She no longer looked scared.

"Yes." He said, smiling. "Yes I am."

"What's you're name?" She asked. "Mine's Jenny."

"Voltage." He said, nodding to her. He couldn't take much more time. He wanted to capture both men before they caused even more trouble. "Stay right here, Jenny, I'll be right back." He stood and turned towards the car that was now speeding away even faster.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to stop those guys." He said, taking off into the air. He knew exactly where they were, and had already calculated a plan of action. This would take a little finesse.

It wasn't hard spotting them again, he lowered himself to the ground and stared at them. The driver instantly recognized that he was in trouble. Voltage folded his arms in a disapproving pose and just glared at the men. He waited for them to get a little closer.

He calculated everything in a second, a silver lightning bolt streaked through the engine and the alternator was overwhelmed. The car stopped functioning and began spinning out of control as the two men screamed in panic.

They slid across the ice before stopping right in front of Voltage, exactly where he'd calculated they would be.

The two men stared out at him, eyes wide with fear. They threw their guns out of the car in surrender and raised their hands, they knew it was over. Voltage just kept his arms folded and watched as the police approached the scene.

"We could have hit you." one of the men said, suddenly. "Why didn't you move out of the way?"

"I calculated the weight on your car, determined your velocity and the exact reaction it would have to my attack. In other words, I knew your car would stop exactly where it did." They stared at one another in disbelief and shock. At that moment, the driver was prepared to believe whatever Voltage said.

The police pulled up moments later, and Voltage took off to retrieve the young girl. He teleported her downto the street and walked her towards the waiting police. The thugs were in custody already by the time he got there, too scared and shocked to put up any resistance.

"Jenny!" a woman, presumably Jenny's mother, ran up to her and picked her up. "Oh, I am so glad to see you." she said, hugging her daughter tightly. "Thank you, young man, thank you so much. What's your name?"

"Voltage, Ma'am." He said, nodding.

"Well, Voltage, thanks, I'm glad you were there."

"Voltage?" Jenny said, turning. "Thank you." Voltage grinned down at her, glad to see her safe and sound.

Voltage nodded and turned away. "Always glad to be of help, but I really must be going." With that, he was in the air.

He couldn't help but grin as he flew high into the air. He'd done it. He'd saved a little girl, stopped a pair of criminals, and nobody could tell he was a rookie. Well, at least it wasn't obvious to him.

"Hahaha!" He laughed in amazement at what he could do. When the moment came, he was prepared to do what needed to be done. No hesitation, no worry, no concern. He acted with a confidence and strength he never knew he had.

Later that night, as he prepared to go to bed, he heard something coming from his parents' television in their room.

"Some of you may recall that, earlier this evening, a young girl was kidnapped following a failed robbery attempt in the Kingston area. We are glad to report that that little girl is now safely in the hands of her mother. The police report indicates that a young hero, by the name of Voltage, rescued her." After that, the reporter drifted off to different subjects.

Thomas grinned as he lay down and gazed up at the ceiling. This had been an interesting night, but one thing had been proven. When push came to shove, he acted like a hero should.