Third Time Sucky (IC)

GM

The three men were caught by surprise, and as the tremulous shock hit them, they stumbled this way and that, falling flat on their faces.

"Holy..." gasped the leader "...get up...get up!!!" he yelled, getting to one knee and wiping the gravel of the driveway from his face, spitting one little stone out as he did so.

"Don't let her get away! stop her!!!" he added, trying to draw a bead on the undead heroine but realising she had ducked for cover behind their vehicle.

"Damn!" he cursed, before giving a signal to the other two men to circle around and catch her in a pincer movement.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one advantage she had was that nobody, including herself, knew exactly what she was. These mercenaries were obviously trained and briefed, but that was how to deal with Vampire. And she was only half Vampire. That’s why she could get away with the ground strike and that why they wouldn’t expect her to do this…

Grabbing the back of the vehicle they had arrived in she lifted it up without too much effort and swept it around in a large semi-circle trying to knock all of them down once again. And quick take down of these would be good for her.

GM

"Holy Smoke!" gasped the commander as Revenant effortlessly lifted the car and handled it like a baseball bat.

"Back off, back off!" he yelled to his comrades and then, as she hefted it like a makeshift weapon..."Abort! Abort!"

But, alas, it was too late, the huge weapon swung in a grand arc, collecting all three men in a steel scoop, and depositing them a couple of dozen yards away. No doubt the landing after sailing through the air would have been a painful blow, but the force of Revenant's attack had already stripped them of any consciousness.

"Aboooooorrrrrrrttttt!" came the weak call of the commander as he sailed through the air, before passing out.

Lucy put the remains of the car down and allowed herself a little smile. Then she spent a few moments to check that each of them were okay, and taking their guns she learnt not to leave weapons lying around.

Whilst she still wasn’t quite up on all this modern technology, she still didn’t own one off those mobile telephone everyone kept going about, she could still figure out how these things worked. So the ear piece that the leader was using must be a way to talk to someone, probably the Master he would that kind of control freak. She put on the piece in a way she hoped would communicate back to his controller.

“If you wanted to talk all had to do was askâ€

GM

“If you wanted to talk all had to do was askâ€

The voice at the end of the line was masked by static, and squeaky in reception. Even so, Revenant could tell it was a man's voice, deep, slow, and melodic, whispering velvet undertones.

"If I want to do anything, I do it. Asking is for mortals. " was the reply.

"You are quite the interference. If I had known what a poisonous vexation you would turn out to be, I would have skipped you entirely. In many ways, you are more of a disappointment than Vera. At least she did not cling to mortality like you do. "

"I warn you to stay away from my affairs. Your part of them is over. You are but a discarded canvas, not worth consideration. By all means continue your pathetic existence in whatever manner you so see fit, but do not interfere with mine!"

Lucy sat down on the softest thing around.

“I forgot all you vampire act like a pack of wolves, might makes right and all that.â€

She sighed feeling a little disappointed she hoped he would be suave.

“I didn’t come here to interfere with your plans. All I wanted to do is find out more about what happened. Who you were and what you did to me.â€

She stood up giving the man a little kick to make sure he was still down.

“It was my humanity and drive that got me all the way out here. Rather than rotting away in a house unable to do anything, like your successes. Maybe you succeeded better than you thought?â€

GM

"Doing nothing serves her purpose very well" replied the Master over the radio.

"With my stonehearted lady, I managed to finally rid the flaws of humanity, and that of the noble undead. She is delightfully free from sentiment you see..."

"Although this time I decided to keep my brushstroke a little more...compliant. Something I learned from you and Nora. Not bound, but her eyes...you see her lovely eyes?" he laughed in a hollow way.

"I see through them!" he said.

"And my little Stoneheart, she is just the light, for the moths....they are drawn to her, and I will have my souls to dance and paint with!"

Why did they all have to be so predictable?

She had been willing to let them all alone to live as one big happy vampire family. She was just about to tell him exactly what he could do with his Stoneheart when another though occurred to her.

She gave her best malicious laugh.

“Really I would have thought you of all people wouldn’t have been fooled by my act. Your little pet author can only sit in house by I can go anywhere and fool everyone.†she gave her voice a cold icy tone.

She couldn’t overdo it; he would have to feel safe to invite her in. She hoped his ego would be the type that wanted someone to explain his plans…

GM

"That is...true...." said the Master, contemplating the words.

"An error in my judgement, I will confess. But, one can't make an omelette without draining the blood of a few mortals, as the saying goes. With you, I miscalculated, I should have chained you as a tool, more effectively. And you have grown to be quite an annoyance. An effective annoyance, I grant you..."

He paused for a moment, lost in thought.

"But the purpose of my children is not your creation in itself. No. YOu are just the experiments. With some helpful side effects, like Lady Stoneheart, and some less so, like your own willfful insistence on living. But just experiments, nonetheless. In order for the purification of the condition..."

She was glad she didn’t need to eat these days as this pro Vampire rhetoric was making her gag. But she needed to get on his good side. Taking a non-necessary breath she plunged on.

“Look at everything I had to do to get your attention.†Her voice held, she hoped just the right amount of pout. Just for emphasis she gave one of the guard a little kick for a satisfying little sigh. By now Vera must have been watching, if not from the very start.

“We could meet, I’ll bring snacks.â€

She didn’t really want to bring Jake into danger again, but if the Master wasn’t convinced by her act he’d never let her get close.

GM

"Snacks?" came the reply.

"Oh I see. I confess to being surprised, and slightly disappointed. I thought I had erased that particularly vexing weakness from you. But it seems the years have not refined your state..."

"Snacks, I have plenty of. A man of my resources is most, well, resourceful. And I have had centuries to perfect my science...my art..."

"But meeting you? it may serve some value to me. I emphasise may. But what, my I ask, would a wayward child like yourself want from meeting me. You are but discarded draftsmanship, my dear. The experimental strokes. Not without some merit, but a pale imitation of the goal..."

“I don’t need to indulge myself, I’ve never felt the need, and man of your tastes I’d expect to have a fine selection. But I was always taught to bring a gift when meeting someone.â€

Oh well time to see if his ego was as inflated as she expected.

“Oh but you didn’t finish your master piece did you. Someone did that for you. Aren’t you just the tiniest bit interested what the other artist, rather ineptly, completed. And maybe with just a few deft touches you might be able to complete your masterpiece.â€

GM

"I respect the insights of Mr. Cimitierre" replied the Master "but unfortunately he has shown a consistent pattern of using those very talents in a most tedious way...most tedious. I doubt a man who has been inclined to unravelling my work would be of much benefit to it. Although I have my plans for him, in the fullness of time..."

"As you seem so keen on meeting face to face, then it shall be done. I shall let Lady Stoneheart know the details. My eyes, my ears, and, if need be, my voice. I swear I am the only thing that interests her at all these days..." he actually trailed his speech at the last point, pondering the nature of his third creation.

"Freedom City then. She will fill you in on the details..." he said, before the signal cut off.

It would have been easy to be smug, after all she had fooled this vampire Master, but she knew he would be a slippery customer. It could all be that he was playing her, just to get rid of a nuisance. Plus it seemed that other that had helped her could have been put in danger because of her actions. She would need to inform them of the danger, but first she needed to get home.

So she strolled back into the house and back into the company of her “sisterâ€.

"It seems I have been given an audience with the Master. You will make the arrangements.â€

Now she knew he was watching she knew she had to keep up the act.

GM

Lady Stoneheart looked up as Revenant came in. She was sitting comfortably next to Jake, who was still sleeping, and studying his annotated book.

"Dear boy, dead boy..." she was muttering, with a smile on her face.

"Ah, there you are!" she said.

"It seems I have been given an audience with the Master. You will make the arrangements.â€

"Ah, maybe there is an immortal in you after all. Perhaps he finally drove a stake through your mortal heart with his words did he? hmmm? trust me, my dear, there is no discussing with him. He has outlived us all, and knows more of life, and death, than either of has forgotten..."

She put Jakes book down.

"The arrangements? well, that is easy enough. Back to Freedom City. How would you care to travel? How did you get here? I can call a cab..."

It seemed that she was not joking about the latter. Whatever else she was short of, the lady was not short of money.

Lucy gave her best evil grin.

“I have my methods. A girl has to have her secrets.†he grin widened into a full smile “Well most of us anyhow.â€

it was an incredibly catty comment, but damn did it not feel good. Maybe to good what was it they said about Power Corrupting. Oh well time to redress the balance.

“I shall take the boy with me. He amuses me.â€

Not waiting for permission she scooped up his still sleeping form.

“I shall make my own way to Freedom City, I have arrangements to make. When I am ready I shall call you.†she let her voice drip with sarcasm “If that is all right with the Master.â€

GM

"You may call me then" replied the Lady, smiling faintly. "Here is my number. My private number. It has a code on it to bypass the answering machine that tells people they have got through to a fictional double glazing company. It does rather amuse me...how does it go again, Maurice?" she asked the ancient butler, on a fancy.

"Welcome to Sparkles Double Glazing. Your call is important to us. Please hold and a sales assistant will be with you shortly..." he croaked and droned, his voice as dry as the desert and slow as a snail.

"Yes, ha ha. Well...I do have to keep myself amused..." laughed the Lady, a hollowness in her voice.

"But as for darling Jake, I am afraid I must insist I keep him here. He is simply wonderful..." she said, tucking the book the fan had scrawled on behind her.

To leave him here would probably mean death but she couldn’t risk upsetting Vera just yet. Thinking quickly she put the Jake back down.

“You know sister we shouldn’t fight over such a thing. Why don’t we let him decide?â€

Without waiting for a reply she woke him as gently as she could. Then leaning in, so hopefully she couldn’t hear, she whispered into his ear.

“If you stay here you will die, and never learn her secrets. If you come with me I promise you I will help you solve the secret.â€

Hoping that was enough she stood back up.

“So Jake which one of us do you want to stay with?â€

GM

Jake awoke, fairly slowly, and looked from Revenant to the Lady, left and right, and back again, until finally his gaze settled on Revenant.

"I guess I'm coming with you..." he whispered, his eyes flicking to Veronica, who just looked away and shrugged, taking a sip of expensive merlot that sloshed around in a huge wine glass.

"Fine" she said, with a trace of irritation in her voice "But I will be keeping my eyes on you, young man..." she said, with a smile.

"As for the Master, I believe he wants to meet you in his appartment in Ashton, Freedom City. Here is the address..." she said, putting pen to paper and giving it to Revenant.

"Well, until next time. It has been interesting. And anything to fill my existence is much appreciated. Do drop buy again..."

She gave a small size and helped Jake to his feet, once she was happy that Veronica would let them leave she turned and replied

“Parting in such sweet sorrow my sister.†she gave a tight smile

Not waiting for a response she turned and helped Jake past the gate and back to where she had met him. Once this far she stopped to make sure that he was he fine.

“If I asked you to walk away now you would just come back here, wouldn't you?†her tone wasn't harsh or confrontational, she was just stating what she knew to be true.

GM

“If I asked you to walk away now you would just come back here, wouldn't you?†her tone wasn't harsh or confrontational, she was just stating what she knew to be true.

"I guess you know the answer to that" replied Jake, avoiding revenant's eyes and shrugging.

"You have to understand...well, I'm a fan...there is just something about her. She is awesome...the way she writes, the way she looks..."

"So yeah, I would go back. I'm...sorry..." he said, although quite how apologetic he was could be debated. Embarrassed, perhaps.

"So...what now?" he asked, twisting one foot coyly. "I mean, are you taking me with you? where are you going anyway? and how are you getting there?"

“Well I'm going home, to Freedom City.â€

She began to walk making sure that Jake was following.

“And you're coming with me. But, and this a big but, from now on you do exactly what I say. Veronica was a light weight compared to who we're going to face.â€

She retraced her path until she returned to the Diner she had started her journey.

“Do you want anything?â€

After ordering some more coffee and whatever Jake requested, as well as swapping some pleasantries she again returned to the pay phone.

“Hello Rene I've finished her and could do with a trip home. But I've picked up a bit of extra baggage.â€

GM

"Ah my dear" replied Rene over the phone. He was sitting in his loft, painting away and enjoying the spring sunshine streaming through the skylight.

"Extra baggage, you say? that sound's most interesting. Most interesting. Now, where are you?...exactly where are you?"

A little later...at Freedom City Library

"Oui, Merci, now could you please use this Google Earth thing, yes, that's right, your helpful assistant at ze maps section explained it all to me. It seems wonderful...now...I have this address..."

A little later still...

"Oui, Oui, that is ze address, now if you could be so kind as to print it out. Is that ze best you can do? Surely you can do better? Non...non..."

Still later...

Rene popped into view just by Revenant, holding his magical paintbrush, as if he had been painted onto the landscape.

Which, to be honest, he had.

He surveyed Jake with a quick look, before bringing out a crumpled picture of the interior of his home. The lounge, to be precise.

"You have no idea how hard it was to get here..." he frowned at Revenant, the faintest glint in his eye.

"And now..." he said, as he got to work painting the three of them onto his picture...

...it was hard to say exactly how it happened. It was like a dream transition, or the appearance of a mist. But somehow, thee three of them were in Rene's rather luxurious lounge, full of art and somewhat antiquated (but beautiful) furniture.

"Now then my dear, whilst I help myself to some excellent Merlot, why don't you fill me in on ze details!"

“Jake this is Rene, who you should love. He’s the most mysterious man I’ve know. Rene this Jake fan of Vera Stoneheart our mysterious writer.â€

She poured a generous glass of Merlot, and offered it to Jake.

“I think you might need this, I’m more of a cocktails girl myself.†She sat down “It seems I have a sister. The master created a third version, who it seems to transmits all she sees to him. They put clues in these.†she showed a copy of the books “To draw people like him to create some sort of army.†She looked a thoughtful for a bit “Oh and yeah I convinced him I was evil, or he’s playing along, and I’ve got his address for a meeting.â€

Rene arched his brows at the revelation.

He snatched the Merlot of Jake, who was left with a half glass, and promptly poured himself another, most generous glass, before handing it back to Jake.

"Well, you are not short of wits, as ever. However, this does not sound exactly safe. Even for your particular condition. You only live twice, you know. I think I saw heard that in some dreadful English film..."

"Ze Master...to do what he has done, to have lived so long. It suggest someone powerful, or cunning, or quite probably both. Nothing is ever quite what it seems. He has had centuries to play his game, and now you are playing it. I don't know...I don't know..."

He drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair and looked out of the window.

"It is, perhaps, your destiny to meet him. It must be done. But how will the pieces of ze Chessboard move when it comes to it? hmmm....there is no answer. You must play out your part..."

He looked at Lucy more directly.

"So what are you plans?"