Third Time Sucky (IC)

Lucy swore loudly in several languages, and quite a few creative ways.

“I see what you mean. I guess they get a lot of visitors.â€

She could get into the grounds easily but she didn’t want to break the law unless she really had to, and if she did break in Jake might follow. And she had enough to worry about without having to baby sit such a rabid fan. Still one more trick to try before she when for the direct approach.

“But I am on official business; I bring word from the Master.â€

There was a chance this had been tried before, but she had nothing to lose.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

“But I am on official business; I bring word from the Master.â€

Without a word, the intercom went dead.

"See, told you" said Jake, dejectedly "nothing ever gets past that crazy old ma...hola! wey hey!!!" he finished with a smile and a hop from one foot to the other.

Without a word, the iron gates to the house swung slowly open, creaking as they did so.

"We got in! We got in! I can't believe it! Like, this is freakin' awesome!" yelled Jake, punching the air. And with that, he ran full speed to through he gates and up to the house.

Jake may have been fast, but Lucy was faster. She lifted Jake off of his feet and whipped off her sunglasses fixing his glare with her cold black eyes.

“You want to know the true secret of Immortality she’s selling. It’s nothing but a shell game, another form of vampirism. And vampires are dangerous, and she’s somehow involved with them.â€

Her face softened and she managed a small smile.

“If it nothing then I’ll sort out a meeting I promise. But I need to know if it’s safe first, I won’t, I can’t, put you in any kind of dangerâ€

She didn’t want the same kind of near disaster that had happened when she had met Nora.

GM

Revenant tried, of course. But Jake was obsessed..

"Uh huh...no way!" he replied, shooting off.

"I've waited two days in the freezing Alaskan Rain, and I finally get to meet her! No way am I screwing this up! I got so much to ask her! I'm not waiting another second, and I ain't passing this up!"

"You gotta be crazy to ask me!"

Despite, or perhaps, because of his spindly frame, Jake was fast on his feet. In a flash he was at the door, giving the doorknocker just one clang before it opened, as if by magic.

A butler opened the door. For lack of a better word, he appeared ancient, barely breathing. Carefully groomed white hair was the only indication he was not a corpse.

"Please come in, Madam Stone will meet you shortly" he said in a croaking, faint voice that was recognisable as the one over the intercom.

Lucy gave a sigh, why did she always end up babysitting people in these situations?

“Okay, but you stay behind me keep quiet until I know it’s safe and if it all starts getting dangerous you hide somewhere, and you keep hidden even if I seem to go down.â€

She stepped in front of Jake and stopped at the doorstep, nodding to the elderly gentleman.

“Thank you, if you’d like to lead the way. This young gentleman her.†She gestured to Jake “Is my guest and under my protection.â€

She just hoped they were old fashioned enough to recognize the rules of hospitality.

GM

The ancient butler brought the two "fans" through the mansion. It was a rich, expensive place, but there was nothing ostentatious about it. It was also hard to tell exactly what period it was from. There were artifacts from all over history - from suits of medieval armour, to displays of muskets, to 60's psychedelia.

"This way, madam..." said the butler, clearly p aying far more attention to Revenant than Jake - although the excited young man did not register.

With the creak of an old wooden door, they entered a wood panelled room that seemed to serve partially as a library, a drawing room, and a billiard table room. It was well done, elegant, and homely, even if slightly dark.

Standing up, in an elegant rich red dress, with what appeared to be fur lining, was a ruddy cheeked but pale woman with platinum blond hair that fell delightfully over her shoulders. She was of a healthy and somewhat voluptuous build, and was elegantly beautiful. She moved with a sensual, even sexual, swagger. She would not have been out of place as a pin up girl of the 60s.

Jake's tounge was lolling out of his mouth with the excitement.

"Please, be seated" said Ms. Veronica Stone as she seated herself and put aside the newspaper she had been reading.

"Would you care for refreshments? a brandy perhaps?" she asked, with a mellow and rich voice.

Lucy gentle pushed Jake into a nearby seat, before taking a seat herself.

“That would be lovely; I think my friend here could do with a double." she gave a little smile "My name is Lucy and this young man is Jake.â€

She looked at the woman’s face looking signs, anything that marked her out as the same as her. Nora had looked fairly normal, but she was the prototype, this woman seemed so alive if not a little pale. Then again she was quite vibrant in her own way, and Veronica wasn’t any paler than someone who spent their time indoors.

She forced herself to relax, this wasn’t some manly face off, it was two special woman discovering if they had something on common.

GM

"A double brandy then, please, Maurice..." she said to the butlet, who bowed politely (Revenant was sure the ancient man creaked as he bent) and went off, presumably to get the drink in question.

"Oh boy! Oh boy o boy o boy! Its really you! I know you must get this all the time, but I am your biggest fan1 You rock! You ROCK!"

Jake was all over himself, unable to sit still, gazing at Ms. Stone like he would an angel.

"Thank you" said Ms. Stone, slightly coldly but not without a smile or charm "if you would be so kind..." she started, indicating by the inflection of her voice that refusal was not really an option "I would just like to speak to your Friend Lucy first..." she said with a hint of iron in the statement.

She sat herself down, all elegance and crossed legs.

"And tell me Lucy, what do you know of the master?"

She briefly considered an elaborate ruse to try and trick more information from the woman. But unlike Nora she was seemed an intelligent and quite capable of seeing through her bluff.

So the truth, but one minor detail to take care of first.

“Jake is an innocent in all this, whatever happens could you ensure he is left unharmed.â€

She slumped back in her chair.

“Not as much as I would like, it seems I inconveniently died before he could finish the process. It may account for my slightly unusual appearance. At least I came out it better than poor Nora.†She searched Ms Stone face looking for any sign of recognition, trying to work out exactly what she knew.

GM

“Not as much as I would like, it seems I inconveniently died before he could finish the process. It may account for my slightly unusual appearance. At least I came out it better than poor Nora.â€

"Ah yes Nora..." said Veronica, slowly and thoughtfully.

"Your Brandy, Sir...Madam..." said the Butler as he returned and served both Jake and Lucy. Jake sipped - rather quickly - in his excitement - at his, staring at his Idol.

"You did indeed, come out better than Nora. I don't know much, of course. I understand she was just the first brushstroke, and a clumsy one at that, but not without certain uses. Why my dear you seem almost Perfect..." she smiled a winning, dazzling smile.

"And to be honest, I knew even less about you. You did, as he said, die before the process could be finished. Stuck between both worlds, perhaps, but a little too much in the grave. The balance is most fine, most fine..." she trailed off.

"I know only a fraction of what he does, of course...which is plenty, I would imagine. Not enough, perhaps, but plenty. He was a true Genius. Obsessed with perfecting the condition. He has refined even himself, to a degree, based on his experiments. But haha, he is ever the perfectionist. I doubt anything would satisfy him. And to be honest after centuries of obsession, I am not sure he even wants the emptiness of satisfaction deep down. He would rather carry on painting, I would have thought..."

Lucy gave a little smile

“I know another artist a little like that. And he’s the most wonderful, infuriating old man I have ever known.†Her tone changed slightly, but the smile never wavered “And Nora is quite happy now and under powerful protections, in case the Master plans to re-use the canvas.â€

She sipped her brandy, a natural pause.

“It seems he has had a habit of abandoning his past works, though you seem to know more than the rest of use. I’d still like to know more about him, and more about yourself of cause. I guess we are in a way sisters.â€

GM

“It seems he has had a habit of abandoning his past works, though you seem to know more than the rest of use. I’d still like to know more about him, and more about yourself of cause. I guess we are in a way sisters.â€

"Oh, I would quite say abandon" replied Veronica "not completely anyway. Before you worry, he is not hear. Although perhaps yo would like to meet him? I daresay you have more than a few questions for him. Although quite what he has in store for you is..."

She stopped, interrupted by a loud Snore from Jake. The man was lying slumped in his chair, holding his empty glass limply.

"Valium" said Veronica as she surveyed him "I can't bear these fans. My fault perhaps for putting the codes in the books. One day I might entice somebody who can..."

She stopped and turned back to Lucy.

"No effect on you, I see. Good. I suspected as much, but the fact you are unaffected proves you are who you say you are!"

“You say that as if I should be afraid of him. After staring death in the face I’m afraid I don’t scare easily.â€

All the while she was cursing herself for failing to spot such an obvious trick. She didn’t know the exact effect of Valium so she made a point of checking on Jake to make sure he was alright.

“I assume this Valium is some kind of sedative. I think it’s only fair for him to wake up in his car…†She remembered how far north they were “…or even his hotel room, unharmed with a personally signed copy of your book. Then we can discuss family matters.â€

Though she sounded calm her mind was racing, ever since she had awoken into this century she had wondered how she came to be like this. Especially since her encounter with Nora. And finally she might get the chance to meet the man who had given her this gift.

GM

"It's a sedative. Totally harmless" she replied with a wave of her hand "and a low dose. He should wake up in an hour or two if we leave him be. Although he will be rather groggy. You could wake him up now if you wished too...give him a good shake, or a slap if you are inclined..."

She stretched out with a yawn.

"By all that's unholy, he was tedious, wan't he? they are all the same. I suppose I could sign his book if it pleases you..." she said after a little consideration, whipping out an extravagantly expensive pen and signing it with some care.

"Your concern for his well-being is rather quaint" she commented "I have little time for mortals myself, even after a few decades of immortality. Let us leave him where he is. It's rather amusing to have him here and to see how you fret over him..." she smiled.

"And as for family matters" she said, with a little more earnest "what do you know? you are certainly more familiar with Nora, yes? and you say she was...changed?" for a moment, a flicker of passion was seen in her eyes.

She looked up at Ms Stone her black eye burning with suppressed rage.

“These mortals have again and again risked their lives so you can live up here in your decadence.â€

She carefully hosted Jake onto her shoulders, trying not to wake him up.

“And he at least showed some passion for something, which it seems you’ve lost over the years.â€

She started to stroll out the room, paused and returned to snatch the signed book out of Veronica’s hand.

“Beside it was a mortal who was able to give Nora the choice between how she lived her life.â€

At the doorway she paused for her final shot.

“If this is what knowing the Master entails, I think I’d rather not know.â€

GM

Stone leaned forward earnestly.

"Oh I don't know the master. He, on the other hand, know's me..." she whispered, earnestly.

"Don't you feel...dead inside?" she said, passionately. "Oh, I know he made me as well as he could. With each stroke of his brush, the painting is better, and I was his masterpiece. But I feel so hollow, so empty. Something is missing...and worst of all I know it..." she sat back.

"Oh I'm sure he stripped something from me in order to make me better. In a cold, calculating way. But here I am, empty. So empty...." she looked away for a moment.

"You ask why I don't care for that young fool. I don't care for much at all. Just...empty..." she said, in a low tone.

"I'm just his tool..." she said, looking directly at Revenant.

"The clues are all in the books. I can't speak of them myself. He sealed my lips...."

All the anger evaporated and instead Lucy burst out laughing.

“Oh I’m sorry it’s just that the only one of us that came out properly was because of an accident. That must really gall him.â€

She careful put Jake back down, and sat close to Veronica, taking her gently by the hand.

“It seems you have the same kind of issues as Nora did. I can’t promise anything but I know someone in Freedom City who might be able to help. Before I leave I promise I’ll give you the details to contact him.â€

She sat back looking more relaxed than before.

“Tell what you can about our master.â€

Luckily she knew someone who could help her with the puzzle the books contained, at least after he had woken up.

GM

“Oh I’m sorry it’s just that the only one of us that came out properly was because of an accident. That must really gall him.â€

"Oh I think I came out quite properly, by his standards. And don't mistake my feeling of emptiness for weakness on my part. That would be a grave mistake".

For the first time, Lucy got a glimpse of fire in Veronica's eyes, and a shiver hit her. Maybe it was something to do with there shared past, or the power that had infused them both, but she suddenly had a sense that this woman was not bluffing. She was powerful, strong, fast and dangerous. Her aura was a slippery as a snake, and just as deadly.

“It seems you have the same kind of issues as Nora did. I can’t promise anything but I know someone in Freedom City who might be able to help. Before I leave I promise I’ll give you the details to contact him.â€

Lucy sighed, sometime people were so disappointing, and especially it seems the undead.

“So all this was about power. And you think that somehow I will help you achieve this. He was blocking your efforts to find him, so you put all these clues together.â€

Including the clue that bought her here, Rene would not be happy if he knew he’d been used like this.

“But how…â€

Just then she caught the sound of a car, her taste might not quite work, but her hearing was as sharp as ever. As subtly as she could she move to the window to try and she who Veronica’s new guest might be. She suspected several options none of them very encouraging.

GM

A long black car with dark windows had pulled up. And out stepped three men. They were big, and moved with military precision, walking straight up the path to the door.

The men looked like they were dressed for combat. they wore helmets with shades and goggles, had some body armour, and a web of grenades, knives and other instruments. And all carried a long firearm- it looked like a shotgun from this distance.

They were good. It looked like they were lightly but efficiently armed and armoured. Something that could be thrown on quickly in a matter of seconds but still did the job. Because underneath the protection was a crisp grey suit for each of them.

"I suspect he has sent one of his 'squads' hasn't he?" said Veronica Stone casually without looking out of the window.

"You see, part of his perfection in me, is that he can see and hear everything I do. No privacy for me...forever his unwitting tool..."

Lucy struggled with what to do, not with this latest revelation, but with what to do with Jake. He might not be totally safe her, but she trusted him less among a vampire lord.

“You don’t owe me anything and we obviously have different outlooks on things. But please make sure that Jake get home safely.†She gave a sad little smile “And who knows maybe we can meet again in better circumstances, you wouldn’t be the first sister I didn’t see eye to eye one.â€

Without waiting for a snappy comeback she left the room and headed to the front door, throwing it open as dramatically as it would allow.

“Hello boy what can I do for you?â€

GM

“Hello boy what can I do for you?â€

"Recon team to M" said the leader into a commlink on his lapel.

"We have target Secundus. Engaging in standing protocol..."

He turned his attention to Revenant.

"He thought you would come running some day" he said in cold, menacing tones "well, your days of running amok are over now. Its the mortuary slab for you, where you belong...well, what's left of you after we torch you..."

And with that, the three men opened fire, guns blazing with fire. The rounds where a little slower, a little louder and a lot hotter than normal.

Incendiary rounds!

Revenant gritted herself against the pain. She should have expected incendiary rounds; after all they were working for a vampire. Part of her had expected he would want to meet her, instead he just saw her as a threat to be taken down. Then again from the little she knew about vampire they were like pack animals always trying to make sure they were the top dog.

Good focus on anything except the pain, allow the body to heal. She smiled through gritted teeth at the mercenaries in front of her.

“Really threatening the Un-Dead with the morgue, that was a cliché even in my own day.â€

GM

The leader held up his fist for a second, assessing how Lucy was.

"Maintain fire, men! she isn't burning! you know your orders! get her!!!"

Crack Crack Crack Crack... the thee men once again opened up a volley of fire, the muzzles flashing a deep yellow fire as the incendiary rounds ejected from their cases in a burst of light.

The men were good shots, but Revenant managed to stumble and fall out of the way, behind one of the marble posts that adorned the entrance to the mansion. Fire and soot sprouted from the incendiary shells as they hit the mansion, smoking away in a red light. Too many of these, and the fire brigade would have to be called...

"Damn!" cursed the leader "don't let her get away!"

Whilst it was sometimes useful to stand there stoically, it was also quite nice not to get shot. Especially when the incendiary rounds stung so much.

Her brain, before focused on the pain, finally registered what they had said. She was the secondary target, had Veronica gone to far this time and was to be taken down? Or had Jake found out to much?

It didn’t matter; she would protect them both whatever the consequences. She crouched to the ground and struck the ground sending shock wave towards the three armed men.