I'm looking to do some Kicking GMing...!

Supercape

EDIT: Kicker threads have begun!

Starlight/Raveled

Sil/Aoiroo

Ferros/Quote

Revenant/TiffanyK

Bishop/Bishop

Hey folks!

Two or three (or more) of the threads I am GMing are about to wrap, and I am looking for more volunteers!

I am not the worlds best GM by any stretch of the imagination, so don't expect anything spectacular - but hey, practice makes - if not perfect, then better.

For those that haven't had the (dis)pleasure of me being GM before, I am a jazz-hands GM who tends to hone down a plot into two short sentences and adapt it as play commences. It often ends up in unusual places. What I don't do is "SUperhero comes in, beats up bad guy, does victory dance" threads. I have no problem with those, it's just I am no good at them. Combat is in them, but if you are looking for that, I would look elsewhere - either I will get bored or you will get frustrated, but either way it wont work.

Also, my threads, whilst not endless, are fairly long, so be prepared to commit to a thread with at least two or three distinct scenes in it.

At the moment I am doing mainly 1 character threads, which I find easier to customise for what a player wants. If people have good ideas (characters who know each other or would mesh well) then doing it for two or tops three would be ok.

So, something new I would like to try is the Kicker, the concept of which originated in Sorcerer but has since been used in many narrative-indie style RPGs. And no, that does not mean freeform systemless RPG's. Similar concepts appear elsewhere in other forms.

All it means is a player comes up with a pitch that tilts the characters life. And it doesn't have to be super cool or awesome. In fact, I go by the zen that the less hard you try, the better it will be.

"I wake up that morning and realise I am blind..." is a great, simple Kicker. OK, it's not a Superhero specific one, but it could be. Some evil mind controller for instance. I choose this because its a simple Kicker that can apply to any character, without looking at their powers, relationships, history, or circumstances, etc.

Good kickers often, but not always put the character in a position of vulnerability, or anxiety. But what they must do is give the character a reason to act.

If anyone would be interested in this, post here there thoughts and Kickers.

Because its not free-form, I will need a week (or more) to think about any Kicker and relationships and backstory and soforth, because its not totally off the cuff. The idea however is to try and GM a story that your character wants told.

Hey, this may get no interest at all, in which case, heck, ill GM anything! Sorry if my above stipulations are a bit tight. On the flip side, what I will try and do is customise a thread to what you want, and a story you want to tell.

Toodle pip!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sound great! If you could put that in something like the beginnings of an IC post it gives me a better flavour, however. Nothing fancy. A little bit of context, however. I'll give an example (not one to use).

"Seeing two thugs beat up an old Lady in an Alley Liz ran to help the poor woman, summoning up her Starlight power...only to have it completely fail. She stumbles into the two thugs, who turn around, fists clenched..."

This is a bit of a bad example, but it instantly propels Liz/Starlight into a right royal difficulty. Incidentally, complications are a good thing to throw into Kickers, and you can really rack up hero points...(from first post!). I hope my feeble example gives a little more meat to what I was thinking of, although your skeletons are great idea's.

So your character has an epiphany of sorts (one which they may not necessarily be entirely comfortable with), inspiring them to take action. This is that story.

(Correct me if I'm wrong) Getting to the bare details, you need to come up with [a] what the epiphany is, how they feel about their realization, and [c] what are they going to do about it? (which is where the thread comes in).

I like it. I really like it.

Here's a few that crossed my mind:

Blueshift: this would be a combination thread with push [a] she realized her co-dependancy issues (and her relationship with push) are slowly robbing her of her individuality. she's conflicted: the obvious course of action would be a breakup, but that's the last thing she wants. [c] She's going to have to have some words with her boyfriend about this!

Ferros: this may be especially good for you to run as you GMed the first investigation into his powers. [a] Ferros discovers in a dream that the nature of his powers is actually magical he's unsure of what this means, and worried of what it might imply or reveal about himself and his powers [c] he needs to find someone that can tell him more!

(Correct me if I'm wrong) Getting to the bare details, you need to come up with [a] what the epiphany is, how they feel about their realization, and [c] what are they going to do about it? (which is where the thread comes in).

That's one kicker, for sure! Although it need not be a complete epiphany.

In other games I have played, Kickers work best when they are urgent. In M&M terms, you migh think of a situation that gives you a hero point right out of the box...

To take up your examples - I am going to take Ferros one which I think has more potential - and don't use this, 'cos you know Ferros better than I do, and are going to be far more creative that I will with him...

Ferros: this may be especially good for you to run as you GMed the first investigation into his powers. [a] Ferros discovers in a dream that the nature of his powers is actually magical he's unsure of what this means, and worried of what it might imply or reveal about himself and his powers [c] he needs to find someone that can tell him more!

Make it specific, urgent, and something that propels him.

Jin wakes up from a nightmare covered in sweat, he is momentarily disorientated, remembering his dreams of horrible oriental demons persecuting him, torturing him, and the Monks of the Benzhi Temple warning him of his dangerous powers. As he fully wakes, he see's a metal imp balancing on his chest, holding a dagger, ready to plunge straight into his heart!

Somehow, he knows that only one person could have made that statuette!

Himself!!!

Etc etc...

Does that kind of make sense? So, its the same Epiphany, but now Jin is all sorts of worried - both for his own safety (unconsciously wanting to commit suicide, or being a danger to others), is going to try and stay awake, and has a real urgency to find out about the magical origin of his powers before its too late... dum dum daaah!

Ok, its corny and I am sure you (And others reading) can come up with a lot better, but that kind of shows what a Kicker should do. Really Kick you. Right out of your safety zone and into drama. Yes, its not-safe, yes you get hero points, yes you get fun! (hopefully!).

EDIT: Kickers I think are a great way to dust of your rarely used complications and think about using them (and with the right, urgent, one, starting play with an extra HP!)

How about "Starlight's Morph stops working, trapping her in Grue form"?

"As Saturday dawned in Freedom City, many residents were out and about enjoying their weekend. One particular resident was locked in her North End apartment, staring at a hand mirror. The alien Leyla, known to some in the city as the heroine Starlight and others as the young woman Elizabeth Moya, concentrated hard on her reflection. Sweat beaded on her forehead, trickled down the line of her jaw, and dripped off her chin, which was sharper than usual. It was also brick-red, and the eyes staring back at her from the mirror were the same pale, flat green she sometimes saw in her nightmares. No matter how she concentrated, her physical form didn't waver -- she was stuck as she was. A Grue, in the middle of Freedom City."

Let's see my characters, well I have a kicker solo I'm doing for Changeling so I'm leaving her out.

Catalyst, easiest one I can do for her is that while she has to leave it behind to do some heroic sniping someone steals her van.

For Carrie, I'd say a situation put any of her family at risk, any of them. Or, putting her in a public venue where she HAS to use her powers. By has too I don't mean thugs shooting at her, or that, I mean a situation where she WILL die if she doesn't. A good example would be if someone dropped a shipping container on her, she would have to go flat or else she'd be crushed.

-

"As Saturday dawned in Freedom City, many residents were out and about enjoying their weekend. One particular resident was locked in her North End apartment, staring at a hand mirror. The alien Leyla, known to some in the city as the heroine Starlight and others as the young woman Elizabeth Moya, concentrated hard on her reflection. Sweat beaded on her forehead, trickled down the line of her jaw, and dripped off her chin, which was sharper than usual. It was also brick-red, and the eyes staring back at her from the mirror were the same pale, flat green she sometimes saw in her nightmares. No matter how she concentrated, her physical form didn't waver -- she was stuck as she was. A Grue, in the middle of Freedom City."

'

This is a great Kicker, I can see this as the cover of a comic.

And now, to just tweak it, I would suggest adding something like.

*Knock Knock* "Hi Honey, its mum and dad! we were just passing, and we thought would pay you a surprise visit, can you let us in?"

*Ring Ring* "Its Uncle Jo! He's been taken to hospital! Its looking bad, he want's the whole family there....."

Or something of your choosing. Those might be a little extreme (but trust me they can be fun), but they change the above situation into a dynamic Kicker - one in which you have to react to right then and there, propelling you into the thread.

Anyway, I am totally up for this, its a great story, lets go with this. Please let me know your further ideas.

Looks like you've got a lot of intrest going on!

How many of these do you want to limit yourself to? I might have an idea, but I don't want to take up "all" your time :)

As this is still semi-experimental, I am not limiting myself at the moment, so let's hear it.

And to all: Please note that the use of "Kickers" is something I have used a lot in PnP, but not in PbM. Whilst I hope it works, it needs collaberation and it is likely that the first few rounds may be limp. Plus, I make no assurances about my skill as a GM. :D

That being the case, I am open to all and any who want to try this. So this thread stays open and I will work down the list as I have time and once we have agreed the kicker.

Also, even if people don't want to join, or are waiting, any thoughts or reflections or discussions on kickers would be great. Particularly once a few have kicked off / completed, if people felt it worked or not.

For Carrie, I'd say a situation put any of her family at risk, any of them. Or, putting her in a public venue where she HAS to use her powers. By has too I don't mean thugs shooting at her, or that, I mean a situation where she WILL die if she doesn't. A good example would be if someone dropped a shipping container on her, she would have to go flat or else she'd be crushed.

Catalyst has some potential, but I like Carrie's one - it feeds directly into her complication. I think that MnM's complications can really inspire kickers. Look at complication lists and if there is one you have never used and want to explore....

So how would you narrate the shipping Container one (that's just an example I know, you may have thought of something better) - who would be watching?

A 'kicker', for Jubatus? Hmmm...

The veterinarian looked at her... client. Being the senior vet on staff at the Hanover Zoo, she'd already worked with her share of cheetahs -- but this was the first time she'd ever worked with a cheetah whose vocabulary was larger than hers! The client's being able to tell her where it hurt was a novel experience, and a good thing; the client's psychological quirks, which had resulted in his failure to follow "doctor's orders", with the inevitable consequences of that failure, were not very good at all.

"Mr. Xavier..." she began, and paused at the look on his face. Even without her past experience interpreting the expressions of big cats, she'd have found this particular expression to be utterly obvious: He was terrified. Of what she was going to say. Maybe working with 'real' animals isn't such a bad deal after all, she thought. They don't invent rationalizations for doing stupid things, and even if they don't want to cooperate with their vet, you can damned well force them to do what they need to... She sighed.

"Mr. Xavier," she started, again. "The damage you've done to your spine thus far is treatable, but if you continue to stand on your hind legs all the time, you will end up permanently crippled. The pain will get progressively worse, and eventually, you'll be physically incapable of achieving bipedal posture.

"So I'm prescribing strict adherence to quadrupedal posture. For the next seven calendar-days, I want you on all fours..."

You like? You no like?

This is a great Kicker, I can see this as the cover of a comic.

And now, to just tweak it, I would suggest adding something like.

*Knock Knock* "Hi Honey, its mum and dad! we were just passing, and we thought would pay you a surprise visit, can you let us in?"

*Ring Ring* "Its Uncle Jo! He's been taken to hospital! Its looking bad, he want's the whole family there....."

Or something of your choosing. Those might be a little extreme (but trust me they can be fun), but they change the above situation into a dynamic Kicker - one in which you have to react to right then and there, propelling you into the thread.

Anyway, I am totally up for this, its a great story, lets go with this. Please let me know your further ideas.

Well, Starlight doesn't have any family per se; she's a Grue, after all. She has relatives on paper, but they don't actually know she exists. It's complicated. However, the basic idea works if it's a study group or similar.

Another idea is a building fire or a blackout or something similar. A disaster that would force her out of her apartment and also spur her to help folks. Yeah, that sounds a lot better, since it's not something she can just talk her way out of.

You like? You no like?

As a story that is awesome. It is also 90% of the way towards what I view is a Kicker.

I'll tell you why I think it fails at the last step as a kicker, and bear in mind this is a personal view. Also: Don't abandon this by any means, its just it needs one or two more steps to become what I view is a great Kicker.

The reason is that a Kicker is not just a tilt in a characters life (although it is that), it is something that pushes a character to act.

The potential problem with the Jubatus narrative above is that, whilst brimming with loveliness, the natural inclination of this Kicker is to rest up and take bed rest. You can make a great story about how Jubatus feels and responds to this, but its not quite a Kicker.

Now, you could (And don't use this) have that backstory, and then add an awesome kicker. He is resting up in his bed, and hears some muggers attacking the little old lady next door - as a very simple example. I am sure you can do better. What you have there is a great backdrop for conflict, complications, and a kicker, but not something (I think) that actually kicks the character into doing something straight off - other than being inactive.

I hope that kind of makes sense. I am about to post some kickers of my characters as examples. Because I am not always great at nailing this explanation wise. It took me a while to 'get' a good kicker too.

This Kicker thing is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant! I've never seen it in a game before. And the ideas that are coming out are awesome.

I don't have any ideas for Bishop, but I sure look forward to reading the threads you guys come up with from all this.

Please, come up with something! This is going to stumble a few times before I get this right...

It doesn't have to be soon, but I'd like to explore this with you in reference to Gwen's nightmares and fear/ad version of fire. Maybe have her fighting a baddie who gets her trapped in a burning building and she has to overcome her fear in order to get out?

That sounds simple and effective! Can you encapsulate that in a few lines?

Another idea is a building fire or a blackout or something similar. A disaster that would force her out of her apartment and also spur her to help folks. Yeah, that sounds a lot better, since it's not something she can just talk her way out of.

That sounds pretty formed. Its your Kicker, its your choice. I am about ready to go with this - how about writing a 2-3 sentence narrative for it and we can set this up? [i'm winging how to do this...]

Just as an exercise, I am going to write some example Kickers for my three characters. They are probably not the best (I'm not the best player), but may help give a flavour.

On that note, if anybody wants to help volunteer with Kickers and fancy trying to use them as a GM, feel free to help me out with this! :D

Anyway:

Supercape

Quentin Quill teaches a lecture at his university, and is packing away his notes in his briefcase, when one young student comes up to him. "You are Supercape" the young man says, quiet matter of factfully. Quentin panics, completely denying it.

"Yes you are, you showed me how to do this" says the young man, creating a globe of Quantum matter. "In another dimension. That's gone now, so I came here. I still want to learn more, I want to go back and fight, and kill those who destroyed my world. And you are going to show me, ...Dad!"

Rene deSaens

Is in Paris, at a meeting of the Guissarme Guard, who have shielded France from necromancy and sorcery for centuries. They honour their dead this day, including Rene's first love, Jean-Paul, who died at the age of 50 withered from Tuberculosis.

As they par respects, Rene laments how he did not save his love. A hand digs up from the grave, and the slightly shrivelled Corpse of Jean-Paul digs its way out. "THank GOd you came! Save me!" it croaks.

"Undead!" scream the Guard, who ready their pitchforks...

Lord Steam

In Earth Victoriana, Lord Steam is meeting with a group of Luddites. They are complaining about murder within their group, and have paranoid conspiracies about a steam-powered automatons infiltrating their organisation. As a precaution, they take blood from all members.

When Lord Steam's blood is taken, it is not blood that is taken, but a hiss of steam that escapes. Looking down at his forearm, he sees that his arm is mechanical under the flesh!

The Luddites heft their wrenches and spanners...

(13:20:46) Supercape: (whispers) I just hope I kind of make sense about what a kicker is... beyond that, its yours!

(13:21:07) Raveled: (whispers to Supercape) I get it. It's a kick in the pants that spurs the character to action.

(13:21:17) Supercape: (whispers) Post that. Now.

Please, come up with something! This is going to stumble a few times before I get this right...

Okay! For you, SC, it would be an honor.

I DO have an idea, actually, but I was holding on to it for my Gorgon vignette, involving his quest to find out what happened to his daughter. On reflection, it would probably be better for this kind of thing, though.

My idea was this: In the Gorgon aftermath, Bishop is feverishly multi-tasking as a sort of "super-logistics-man," monitoring (with a lot of help from a team he quickly assembled) emergency broadcasts and requests for supplies, teleporting all around moving palettes of stuff from storage to staging areas, field hospitals and such. He gets a cell phone call, the millionth of the day, with several other calls still on hold. What he hears when he picks up the call is: "....Daddy?"

I might be able to come up with something else. That's just what's been floating around in my brain since I first came up with Bishop's background.

EDIT: I just read your sample kickers above. It seems super-parenting issues are something SC and Bishop have in common. :)

Gwen travels back to Maracay, Venezuela to visit her mothers family and some of her friends who live on the border of Henri Pittier National Park, she learns that several small children have been taken by the bountyhunters to be sold to more prominent families who want more influential children, two of the children taken are her own cousins. She embarks on a journey to rescue them, sparking her own recall of buried memories of when she herself was kidnapped and rescued.

I'll have to think more on the fire one...

Gwen awakes to find herself trapped in a "groundhog day" like dream, erm- nightmare, in which she keeps reliving the day of the fire over and over again. She's 16, but everything else is as it was when she was 7. Each time she passes out from the smoke she awakens on that day again, forced to relive the day until she can overcome her fear of the fire and reach the door of the house. Maybe there is someone who is forcing her to stay in the dream.

In the Gorgon aftermath, Bishop is feverishly multi-tasking as a sort of "super-logistics-man," monitoring (with a lot of help from a team he quickly assembled) emergency broadcasts and requests for supplies, teleporting all around moving palettes of stuff from storage to staging areas, field hospitals and such. He gets a cell phone call, the millionth of the day, with several other calls still on hold. What he hears when he picks up the call is: "....Daddy?"

Its your character, its your kicker! :)

Part of the decision of course if how much you want the emotional volume turned up.

"...Daddy?" vs. "...Daddy? they are coming to get me..." vs "....Daddy? I'm coming to kill you..."

Ok, cheese-tastic, I know. But think of the comic book cover. Then add someone rushing through the door saying "The Hospital is on Fire!" or something, whilst an air-traffic alarm sounds on Bishops monitor...

Ok, I'm really over-cheesing it now. But my suggestion is to think about how much of a boot you want to act, and how much conflict you want to throw at your character. But ultimately, its your kicker.

I'm going to start work on all of these great ideas soon for processing. If people could try and refine there kicker into about a paragraph of narrative first - at that point I will get going (slowly...!).

You have all been great. If anybody has any ideas on kickers, other peoples kickers, or wants to help GM these, please sing out too!

EDIT: Bree, liking the second idea, but again its your character, your kicker!

Catalyst has some potential, but I like Carrie's one - it feeds directly into her complication. I think that MnM's complications can really inspire kickers. Look at complication lists and if there is one you have never used and want to explore....

So how would you narrate the shipping Container one (that's just an example I know, you may have thought of something better) - who would be watching?

Evil temp agency scientist? :mrgreen: Anyway, it doesn't have to be a shipping container. But it has to be something large that she probably wouldn't avoid normally (this is Carrie), or more likely, something she might of pushed someone else out of the way so they'd avoid. How'd I narrate it, I guess,

Carrie only liked to visit City Center on Sunday afternoons. It was the only time it wasn't really that crowded. Sure there was still traffic and cars on the street, but foot traffic was definitely down. Most businesses that weren't closed were already closing but there were a few stores still open that she could peak into for supplies or maybe some seasonal work, twas the season for seasonal work. Keeping her hand on her purse she kept her eyes ahead of her, the person about twenty feet in front of her was more focused on their phone. Sort of a business type man wearing a suite. He was constantly looking at his watch too. Bet he was late for something, though it didn't concern her any. She just kept up the pace taking in the sights, the sounds, the loudest being a crashing sound and skidding and that was too damn close. Carrie craned her head to the side and saw a truck going about forty up to the stop light getting cut off by a small blue car, this clearly surprised the truck driver who veered just slightly enough to hit a street post on the side wheel and turn awkwardly in a way that sent the front of the truck one way while the large square cargo started ramming forward with a screech. She was already moving by then the business man seemed to be a deer caught in the headlights didn't seem to have much resistant as she shoved him about twenty feet in the other direction as the truck moved in and pinned her to the building behind.

So if I understand this kicker thing correctly it puts the character in peril and also changelles an aspect of there personality.

With that in mind how about this for Revenant.

"Lucy tasted blood in her mouth, but all she could think of was how healthy her skin looked.

The gangster lifted up her face and looked into her big brown eyes.

"Long time ago one of our family tried to kill you. Guess I'm going to have to finish the job""

The potential problem with the Jubatus narrative above is that, whilst brimming with loveliness, the natural inclination of this Kicker is to rest up and take bed rest. You can make a great story about how Jubatus feels and responds to this, but its not quite a Kicker.

True enough; you're quite right that there needs to be some reason Jube doesn't just spend the whole week lying in bed. More than that, there's got to be some factor which simply forces Jube to interact with human beings whilst he's quadrupedal... and forces him to do this thing rather more than once or twice. I can see a few different possble spurs-to-action here... in no particular order:

• [*:36imuhk9]Bedrest is friggin' boring! Jube is physically incapable of staying that inactive for anywhere near the requisite amount of time.
    [*:36imuhk9]Jube's a freelancer. He interacts with clients on a regular basis... and some of those clients will insist that this interaction be of the face-to-face variety.
    [*:36imuhk9]The hero thing. Jube is unlikely to listen to the radio, but he has set up a bunch of realtime data-feeds that keep him informed on what nastiness might be occuring that might benefit from Jubatus' intervention.
    [*:36imuhk9]Appearances by supporting cast. The cheetah only has two NPCs; one is his therapist, Ed Hallstonne (who I haven't written a character sheet for, on account of he's never going to be in a combat situation), and the other is
Martin Brandtford, that nerd from ASTRO Labs, who was created, and has been written up by, his creator, Arichamus. Marty is a Tier 1 NPC, so he's eminently available for this purpose...
[*:36imuhk9]Relatives. Jube does have family, after all. None of whom have yet shown up 'on camera'... but given the fact that Jube's only 'on camera' statement about his family is "We're talking about people you're stuck with through no fault of your own, and some of them you get along with better than others," he probably doesn't like most of them, so the sudden appearance of a Xavier sibling in Freedom City could have interesting consequences. Alternately, what if something bad happened to Jube's ("Alzheimer's-stricken 105 yrs. old in nursing home") mother?
[*:36imuhk9]Villainous intrusion. Jube has no secret identity; he's also busted a number of criminals. Any of them could be annoyed enough that they look up Jube's civilian address and drop in for a 'chat' with the cheetah. Or maybe some idiot thinks he's hard enough to take Jube down?

Possible complicating factor: What if Mr. Infamy is tormenting Jube, either because he wants to make a deal with Jube, or because messing with Jube is a necessary part of a scheme Mr. Infamy is inflicting on some other person?