The Heros are NEAR (IC)

Supercape

Supercape pondered the issue carefully.

"Well, detonation seems the most prudent approach then, at least for the first attempt? We will have to take stock of the situation when we are there - readings, samples, and so forth. "

"How much can you supply, Victor? Space suits? Scanners? Mining equipment? In any case, I think we should all think about getting ourselves ready for our little excursion... we don't want to waste away too much time, even if it is on our side. "

Later...

The pegasus space craft gleamed in the sunshine. It had temporarily been parked in the massive hangar of the lab, with the roof unfurled, and even now was being loaded and checked.

Commander Bill Spiker was the military officer in command of the operation, a sensible and intelligent man in his 40s who had found growing a beard had immensely improved his status and respect when dealing with the science-boffin-geek types. He had spent the last ten years in the field, and had grown to love his work, and indeed, the science-boffin-geek types he worked with.

And now, he was acting as ground liason to the most important space mission in history, with the worlds finest minds on the worlds finest space station!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victory had gone on ahead of the rest of the heroes, to help check on the ship and make sure everything was ready to go. And besides, his mind wasn't there for figuring out exactly how this was going to happen. He was there to get them there, and lend his own physical abilities once there, if necessary. After all, he's the only one who won't need any additional equipment.

When the others would head on out to the hangar, after they see the initial sight of the craft, they'd see a silver-blue light flitting around it, stopping for a moment, before flashing away again. The Major was personally checking every last inch of the ship. While he, of course, trusted the reports he was given regarding the craft, he makes it a point to personally examine every vehicle he pilots. And, with his speed, he can do it much, much faster than he used to.

When he was done, Victory quickly appeared in front of the Commander, and Victory handed him a clipboard he had been carrying with him.

"Looks like it's all clear, sir. I'm certainly looking forward to getting this baby out there. Way, way out there."

Supercape entered the Hangar by conventional means, tapping a few calculations into a portable touch screen as he did so.

"Ah, Commander Spiker, and Victory!" he smiled at the two men. "I never really found out if you have a formal rank, you know" he said, addressing Victory with an apologetic shrug. "Guess I should now, as its all looking a bit formal, eh?"

"What do you think of the ship? looking seaworthy to me!" he continued, almost without a pause, and gesturing to the mighty hull of the starcraft that lay before them. "You wouldn't catch me behind the wheel of that thing, I can assure you!".

Once his first crewmate shows up, Victory turns and gives Supercape a quick salute. They'd be working in an official capacity, so he decided to act as such.

"Well, my rank is Major, but you don't have to refer to me as such if it's too distracting to do so."

Victory grins, with a nod.

"It's in tip top shape, from what I've seen. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing out of orbit. I just wish it were under different circumstances."

Push moved by the group, his everpresent hammer slung over his shoulder, and eyes looking straight ahead. Normally, that wouldn't have been notable, but the fact that a couple hundred pounds of important equipment was floating by his outstretched hand was. His only acknowledgement of Victory's presence was a single nod, but he smiled warmly at Supercape and tapped the side of his hat at both him and the Commander.

Glad to be on a ship we didn't have to commandeer this time...heh, still remember Kraken's face when I belted him right in the gut with that hammer.

Still, his thoughts were somewhat uneasy. He'd been in space all of two times, when he, Powerhouse, and Kid Cthulhu (Warlock, now) turned the Stellar Buccanneer into a rescue ship. And now he was on a space station he and Mike had voraciously read about during the period it had been built. The technology in this place was absolutely unbelieveable, he was hard-pressed not to gawk. Still...he checked the new duffel bag at his hip, having swapped it for his beaten-up old messenger bag when he realized he'd be carrying more than your average crimebusting tools on this job. The flat of equipment floated up and into a nearby hatch, and a quick shout from the interior confirmed it had been collected. Nodding, he stepped away and leaned on a nearby pile of crates, his eyes staring out into the black. Some things just bugged him a bit.

Two years ago, I was a nobody in Gear City. Now I'm here, about to try to save the world. Why me? What've I got beyond a few tricks?

And then there was the fact that ArcheTech had called him directly. Not AEGIS. How in the blue hell did Doktor Archeville, the Doktor Archeville know about him? Contacts in AEGIS? Probably. Still, he'd have given a lot for a sit-down with the man right after that meeting, but the Dok had bigger problems than satiating Push's curiosity. Bah, too many unanswered questions. He let out a breath, drumming his fingers on his coat sleeve.

Story of my life.

Shortly after their meeting was adjourned, Blueshift asked to see one of the workrooms they had on site. One of Dr. Archeville's assistants showed her around, and she ended up selecting one of the smallest rooms available. "Cozy," She'd said when the assistant asked if she'd prefer one of the bigger rooms. The response was out of synch, but it'd gotten the message across.

"No room service. No wake up call." She told the assistant before closing the door behind her. Anyone who tried the door, found it not only locked, but somehow sealed from the inside. The barred entry way was cause for some concern, mainly due to it's obvious potential as a fire hazard. In addition, whatever she'd set up in there seemed to be blocking any attempts a non-physical surveillance.

No one saw Her again, until shortly before the plane was scheduled to leave...

Shortly after the meting

Archeville retreated to his personal section of the station -- the entire northern wing -- and set about his own task. He had to make a bomb, one that could take out an asteroid the size of the state of New Jersey. Doable, but not without difficulty. He had prepped his room just in case he had needed to do this -- in his small laboratory he had brought in assorted vitals monitors, a comfortable chair to fall back on, an IV and a few units of O neg blood, and what looked like a silver metal basketball.

Vitals monitors attached... IV connected... blood feeding in... Okay, Viktor, you can do this.

Breathe in... breathe out... push...

Breathe in... breathe out... push...

Breathe in... breathe out... puuussshhh...

The Doktor's fantastic mind was usually up for any task, but sometimes even he needed more brainpower. Like most athletes and Metahumans, he could push himself beyond his normal limits, but like those exertions he risked damage. His blood pressure spiked, and while his intracranial blood vessels were just robust enough that he would not have to worry (much) about dying of a stroke (and if there were danger, the small medical robot by his side could tend to him), some of the more peripheral vessels -- such as the sphenopalatine and lacrimal arteries -- were not. Blood flowed freely from both nostrils, as well as (by flowing back up the nasolacrimal duct) the eyes. It felt like his beloved Mona was pressing her thumbs into his eyes, but that was not the worst of it. No, the worst was that this newfound mental power took some time to properly focus.

"Big rock!," he gasped after he stopped screaming in pain, "get Supercape to teleport it out! No, too big! And interference! Quantum-um um om om OM NOM NOM Cookie Monster! Blue! Goo! Gray Goo! Nanobots! Self-replicating, have them at the thing! No, disaster if they fell to Earth in five years. And, do not know composition, would not work if made of ice... ice... Ice Ice Baby Vanilla Ice vanillin 4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzaldehydeydeydeide my side your side my side! your side! side steak stake - vampires! no, would still freeze in space. And vampires do not eat rock rock rock and roll disco ball wheel skates stakes stakes - tent! Equidistant spacing, pulling fabric taut taught aught naught naughty naught nothing vacuum vacuum energy! HA!"

He abruptly stopped, and looked over the gear in his personal workshop with cool, calculating eyes. "Yes. I know what must be done now."

A few hours before take off

"Glad to hear the space-plan meets your approval, Major!," Archeville said with a smile as he entered. A quartet of worker followed him, each carrying a large case.

The Doktor had not been seen much in the past two days, and when he had we was unusually brusque, one might even say rude. Noticeably paler, too, and with dried blood on his upper lip. But now he seemed back in his usual condition, smiling and encouraging everyone along. "I have a good feeling about this!"

"Ditto." Blueshift announced, while walking quickly toward the assembled heroes. "You made a bomb? Assumed so. Expert in Explosives. Likely conclusion." She stood next to Dr. Archeville. She was shorter, but her hair was just as brightly colored. On top of that hair rested her visor. Her eyes, revealed for the first time, had terrible bags under them. She blinked often, and forcefully. She looked like she was staying awake through sheer will alone.

"Made assumptions." She shrugged, "Inventions too." She placed her hands on her belt which was full of gear. She drew a length of steel from one of the longer pouches. "This." She held it before her. Pulling at it, she fanned out what became three separate rods attached at one end. They each looked to have some sort of receptor at the other end. She tipped her visor down over her eyes. "Affixes here." She placed the part where the metal rods were joined against the part of the visor that hung over her left ear. Each of the rods extended up over her head, she bend the inward, so that the ends rested just above the middle of her skull at various positions, the last hovering just above the top of her spine. "Adaptation of original. Previous usage found asteroid. Now portable. Refactored usage: locating structural weaknesses." Blueshift smiled confidently, proud of her work.

Victory's response to Push's nod is one of his own. The two don't seem to make any more eye contact than necessary, and certainly have yet to actually speak in the other's direction. fortunately, Archeville's arrival is soon enough that it keeps the moment from being awkward. His expression went back to how it was when he saw Supercape, and he chuckled.

"Going into space and blowing stuff up? How can I not approve of this plan? Just wish there was more of a chance to get my own hands dirty. But getting to fly this baby is just as good."

As soon as he finished that sentence, though, his expression changed very slightly. He leaned in a moment, and wiped his own finger across the top of his own lip. He brought his voice down quiet.

"You've uhhh.....got something here."

Push's sole contribution to the discussion was a murmured greeting to the Doktor as he stood at the side, idly levitating more equipment up to the open hatchway. Three days of exploring the station between minor errands and jobs he invented for himself had given him a new appreciation for the gulf between what he knew about mechanics and ArcheTech's finest. Not that he was jealous, oh no. While, on the whole, he barely understood the bulk of how things worked around here, his notebook was full of new ideas and notes, along with fresh ideas for adjustments to his own equipment (what little he had). Still, best to focus on work, and return to that once he got home. If he had a home once all this was over, meteor-style cataclysms were not exactly condusive to long-term planning.

Demolition equipment, check...

Spare repair kits, check...

Spare medical kits, check...

Rubber raft..."Wait, rubber raft?"

GM

"Good luck, gentlemen... and lady!" saluted Major Spiker as the heroes entered the ship. For it was indeed time for blast off, on a mission to save planet Earth.

Around mission control, banks of computer terminals, manned by high calibre technicians and scientists, spewed forth streams of data that monitored every possible mission parameter. Little could be left to chance. The heroes were venturing into fundamentally unknown territory. It was fortunate indeed that some of the finest minds and bravest hearts on the planet were on that ship.

Slowly, the countdown began, leaving the heroes to check their own readouts, and contemplate their own thoughts...

With everyone secured in and ready for blast-off, Victory took one last check of all the controls while the countdown was going. Flicking all manner of switches, moving the knobs in the right place, and all that business, Victory braces himself once they all seemed ready.

Unlike the others, he didn't need a spacesuit. He more or less had a built-in one. The mouthplate built into his helmet flipped into place, completely sealing him up, as the metal over his flesh arm was covered a bit more than usual to stay completely air-tight.

"Alright, everyone! It's gonna be a bit bumpy at first. But I'm sure you can all handle it just fine. Now let's make this one count!"

Push closed his eyes, gloved hands gripping the armrests of his seat. He was firmly bolted in, and inside an oversized space suit that probably wouldn't have looked out of place on Apollo 13.

Figures they wouldn't have anything in my size. Nobody ever does. Is it my fault everyone else is too tall?

He sighed and focused his mind, the usual silhouettes of movement energy surrounding him. This time, however, it was practically blinding with all of the reverberating and moving parts involved in the ship. A truly massive amount of energy. Subtly, he reached out and tapped into it, establishing a small link between the ship and himself. Carefully, he spread it out amongst the ship, taking imperceptible amounts from a huge area, the best to avoid causing major havoc. If this worked out, when the ship launched, he'd be loaded with enough kinetic energy to move a mountain. And with the size of that meteor, he'd need everything he could muster...his eyes opened, and behind the visor of his helmet, the pupils of his eyes seemed to crackle with an inner energy.

"All good back here, let's light this candle."

Sitting? Boring! Blueshift thought as she took a seat in the ship. She buckled her seat belt and took one of the devices out of her belt. She typed a few things onto a keypad and then slipped it back into her belt. "Ok. Nap time. Me at least. Wake me. On arrival. Please." She affixed the rebreathing attachment over her mouth, just in case it was needed during the flight. She then let her consciousness bleed into the computer systems of the ship. She left her body behind, unconscious in it's seat. She was now swimming through the computer systems. For a time, she divided her attention between monitoring it's critical systems, and playing pong, tetris, and tic-tac-toe against the system's fourth core processor. Aww. Poor thing. Looks bored!

As the rumble of engines turned into G-force, and the craft zoomed into the reaches of Space, Supercape could not but help gasp at the incredible spirit of adventure. Even as a young scientist, he had always loved the idea of space travel. Now, when he could go anywhere in the multiverse under his own steam, he still revelled in being in a tin can flying above the earth's atmosphere.

Of course, he still held onto his seat with steely white knuckles.

The speed of the craft was quite extraordinary, and they started accelerating at fantastic speeds towards the asteroid as soon as they were free of Earth's immediate gravity well.

"Say" he said by way of conversation "what are we calling this rock, anyway? I know it has a serial number, but can we give it a name that's a little more catchy?"

"I am calling it Jotunnfaust," Archeville replied, "'Giant-Fist.' Seems appropriate. Tough, if we do our job right, no one will ever need know of it."

Action is our reward!

Archeville checked over the flight plan again. First would be the most hazardous portion, going through the Asteroid Belt -- which they were fast approaching. "Steady on, Major," the Doktor said, confident in Victory's piloting skill. "Once through this, it is a straight shot to Jupiter, then around it towards Neptune."

He glanced over at Blueshift and cocked an eyebrow; he was not entirely comfortable with her rummaging around in League computers, but from what he knew she did not seem the type who would carelessly damage something.

And if she happens to find anything she should not, I am sure the League will have a nice talk with her about responsibility and respect for privacy.

"Heh. I prefer to call it space dust, but I suppose that's a good name,too."

They had already begun making good time, and Victory took a moment to enjoy the sight of the stars moving at their incredible speed. Glancing back after a few moments, he turns his chair to face the others.

"So, while we have a moment, shall we review what our first moves will be once we actually get to this thing?"

For the most part, Victory's part in the plan was the transportation, but, due to his own ultra-high speed, he'd be able to provide the mobility and strength that may very well be required for covering the entire rock, if necessary.

And if all else fails, he'll try to push that big hunk on his own!

"Well" replied Supercape, contemplating what they where going to do when they actually met the big lump of space-rock. "It seems to me... hold on... looks a bit dicey...." he said, pointing at the incoming asteroid belt.

At low velocities, traversing the belt would be a simple matter. At this speed, he had a nagging doubt. And at this speed, a collision would mean they would all be space dust...

Despite the danger flying through the asteroid belt at these speeds pose, Victory doesn't seem all that concerned. When Supercape brought it up, he just calmly turned back to the controls, but kept talking.

"Oh this? Don't worry. I've got it covered."

He guides the ship through with what seems to be a minimal amount of effort on his part. However, if someone were to see it from outside, the ship would clearly be zipping at incredible speeds, dodging asteroids left and right. The flow of the movement seems to charge by milliseconds, due to having to get through at an outrageous speed, but Victory, as calm as ever, is able to keep his conversation, even looking back now and then.

"So then, shall we continue?"

"Nice flying" remarked Supercape.

If it hadn't been for the stability of the artificial gravity environment, he had little doubt that the controls of the ship would be decorated with his own vomit. Fortunately, Victory's dizzying display of reflexes and judgement didn't affect his stomach. It was a masterful display, nonetheless.

"Keep that up, and landing on Jotanfaust will be a doddle" he remarked, giving a thumbs up, before sitting back for the rest of the ride. For it would not be long before first contact...

Push's sole comment on Victory's show with the asteroid belt was simply "Nice job.". It wasn't exactly galling for him to say, but despite the fact that if they'd nailed one of the asteroids they'd end up in itty-bitty pieces, he'd kind of wanted the guy's plating to dent a bit. Keh, he was being petty, and it irritated him. He didn't like feeling that way, and he kinda owed the guy for bringing him in and letting Mr. Black have the opportunity to make that deal.

The kineticist sighed quietly and focused on the link to the ship. His body was fairly thrumming with energy, not enough that it had become completely visible, but he was beginning to vibrate in his chair slightly. The Doktor's name for the thing amused him somewhat, even if he couldn't understand the language. Giant-Fist, eh? Sounds like something CT'd conjure up with those blue flames of his. Wonder how the guy's doing, actually...I hope well, that...thing tore him up inside pretty bad. Maybe I should ask around and see if I can find the big tin can, grab a cup of hot choc and shoot the breeze.

His mind turned again to the asteroid, and he began idly contemplating different ideas of how to, at least, slow it down.

Blueshift seemed to wake up at that point, "Yikes! Can't take it. Not any longer. Computer's constantly complaining. Huh, no alerts?" Blueshift looked around, bewildered, obvious oblivious to the current conversation. "You silence the prox alarms, Victory?" Ship's computer says you keep flying too close to things. Won't stop whining about it. No consoling that thing. Ha. Console. Get it? Sorry, bad joke." Blueshift shrugged and looked around, studying their vessel for the first time, "Remarkable ship, really. Wonder if they'd field build suggestions..."

GM

Later, in the depths of space!

Jotanfaust came into view. Of course, the sensors had picked it up far further away, but there was nothing like seeing the real thing with real eyes.

As the Ship swung around, drawing parallel to, and matching the velocity of the asteroid, it afforded a good view to the heroes.

It was, quite simply, enormous. Silently it spun at an alarming rate, rotating on its own axis as it hurtled through space towards the third planet. Even more extraordinarily, it sparkled in the light of the distant sun and the lights of the ship.

Jotanfaust seemed to be more crystal than rock.

Push looked out the window, and a dry voice could be heard over the team's intercoms. Push's helmet was pointed towards a window, and he looked out with the same poker face he'd been keeping for the majority of the trip.

"...Shiny. Are we allowed to take souvenirs?"

"I imagine you can take anything you want. The more the better" replied Supercape. "Anything you take wont be crashing into Earth..."

He frowned slightly. The crystalline surface was probably what was blocking the quantum entanglement he required to teleport to the location - and the anomaly persisted.

"I don't know what its made of, but this certainly adds a new degree of uncertainty to the mission" he commented, before turning to Victory.

"Can you land on that? its spinning rather fast..."

And so it was, in an arkward axis, leaving a fine trail of crystal shards behind it.