Fisticuffs 2: Dynamo vs Jack of All Blades (IC)

"At my speeds, how far away could I be in the time it took me to recover?" retorted Dynamo with his arms crossed. When Jack mentioned the flaming crack, again, Dynamo's face scrunched up. "I ain't living that down any time soon am I? Despite the evidence, I do know when to hold my tongue. Something you might want to brush up on yourself there too." said Dynamo slowly with a sidelong glance. "I started with a racially incentive joke, and followed with a crack on someone's sexual choices. You retorts were making a crack about my sexual performance followed by a crack at my race. Now maybe I'm speaking outta ignorance cuz I don't see the line, but maybe you need to take stock on where the line is too brosef. We don't want to be having this conversation in reverse. Mostly cuz I can't go that long without saying brosef, and you don't want to get lectured by me of all people." finished Dynamo with a smile.

"Well, what you're missing here," Jack countered, still lounging, "is that I'm good looking and charming enough to get away with that sort of thing." He glanced sidelong at Dynamo. "More to the point, your sexual stamina is your problem." The swashbuckler considered for a moment before correcting himself. "Well, I suppose it's more like your date's problem, but what I'm getting at is that it's specific. It's about you, yeah?" Jack sat up and rested his hands on his knees. "There's a distinction, at least to me. Granted, I'm not the quip police or anything, so you're not obligated to follow my lead on the subject, but it's a question of collateral damage. You make a joke about me being Latino, you're also insulting my sister, my family, an entire people. You act like being gay is something to be ashamed of, you're dehumanizing, what, ten percent of the population?" He shook his head. "Zippy, I'm a colossal jerk, and there are plenty of people who hate my guts. Which is fine, they're entitled, so long as they don't like me for the right reasons."

Dynamo's eyes went shifty as he looked for a hole in Jack's argument. When none came to him, he countered with a joking "Shush. You don't know. You think you know, but you don't know. You're like a child." Discarding the now empty bag of chocolate chips, he looked back over at Jack, almost as if he was studying him. With a sigh, and a bit of hesitation, Dynamo continued. "Alright. This is gonna sound way outta left field, but I want your honest opinion. Jack, do I come off as like spoiled to you? Like, I don't deserve what I've got?" a twinge of uncertainty crept into Dynamo's voice.

Jack raised his eyebrows. "Zippy, I can't think of anybody off the top of my head who deserves what they've got, good or bad. Life doesn't work like that." The swashbuckler spread his hands. "We do the best we can, right? So, yeah, I think you're a bit of a twit, but it's not like that's terminal." Jack snorted. "You think you've got stuff to work on? So work on it. You're already running around saving lives; puts you one up on the average joe, amirite?" He gave the speedster a more serious look. "Sounds to me like you're earning what you've got."

"Thanks brosef. That means a lot to me." said Dynamo as he let out a sigh of relief. He dug around in his goodie bag looking for something else to eat for a moment. "Not really sure about this one,but uh... do you think we could go out on patrol some time, help show me the ropes and that sorta thing? Like show me stuff to look out for, places where crimals hang out and the like. Normally, I just run around the city randomly til I see a dude doin' something they ain't ought to be doin' ya know? I'd like to be a bit more proactive and junk. Seems like that'd be something up your alley, no pun intended."

"Uh..." It wasn't that Jack didn't like Dynamo, he just wasn't sure he wanted to spend a prolonged amount of time around the energetic speedster. The swordsman felt a sudden stab of sympathy for those who put up with his own chatter on a regular basis. "I'll tell you what," he told the younger man, digging a small white rectangle out of a pocket in his greatcoat and presenting it to Dynamo. "If you ever get in over your head, or you need help with something, give the number on that card a call. If we need you, well... we've got ways of getting in touch with people."

"Ah dude sweet! I totally thought you were gonna say no way! Dude, this is awesome brosef." said Dynamo as he took the card as if it was a literal gift from God. He stared at it for a moments, but from the way his pupils were moving, Jack could tell he was doing that whole "slow down time" thing to examine every square inch of the card a thousand times over. "Anyways, thanks for taking the time out to talk to me here brosef. I ain't got no business card or nothing for ya, but I might see ya out on patrol one of these days, who knows? But, like I said, it's been a pleasure." said Dynamo as he extended his hand.

With an easy grin, Jack moved to shake Dynamo's hand but suddenly stopped short, a suspicious look crossing over his face. "Zippy," he warned, pointing a finger of his left hand at the speedster, "I swear, if you try to 'too slow' me..."

*Snerk* Dynamo cracked up laughing. "C'mon, I think we've moved a bit beyond that a this point. Besides dude, that trick only works on high fives. That way you get the whole awkward whirlwind arms thing going on, and occasionally, ya get to watch them stumble a bit. Classic. Seriously man, ya got to keep up with stuff. I mean I know a lot of things have changed since you were born, but ya gotta keep tabs on what all us whipper snappers are up to. So how about it?" says Dynamo as he continues holding his hand out.

• 4 weeks later...

"You do remember that I'm quick enough to hit you, right?" Jack drawled wryly. "With fire?" Nevertheless, he reached out and firmly shook Dynamo's proffered hand. Despite his poor first impression, the speedster had grown on Jack rather quickly which, he reflected, probably shouldn't have been surprising. "Keep outta trouble, Zippy. I'll see you around."

"Actually I had forgotten about that." confessed Dynamo as he grabbed Jack's hand with a cheeky smile. "I was totally gonna go joy buzzer on ya there. Figured I could run away long enough for you to cool off. But I gots respect for ya now brosef, well more of it anyways." Dynamo let go of Jack's hand without any sparking going on or nothing. "Don't be a stranger."