Date: May 23rd, 2010

The city was in sad shape, but the day had been saved, but barely. The heroes realized that they needed to better themselves should such a dire situation ever arise again. An old abandoned arena, probably from the hey day of Circus Maximus would prove to be a way to better themselves. This was a venue where the heroes could spar away from prying eyes, on neutral ground and best of all, not worry about hurting anyone. Word was spread through the grapevine in the hero community. Take the evening off to come test your mettle against the other heroes. No one knew definitively who was coming, though heroes had their suspicions. But among all of these unknowns, there was one truth to the whole matter, tonight was going to be an interesting night.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sir, are you sure this is all right?" Jack turned as his assistant came up behind him, the young man looking nervous in his new suit. With thick glasses on, thinning blonde hair, and yellow legal pad under one arm, he looked exactly like the secretary he was. Anderson was nervous about coming along to the fight, not that Jack could blame him in the least. After all, they were headed into the lion's den, a crowd of incredibly powerful beings who hunted and killed people like them for sport. He put his hand on the other vampire's shoulder, giving him a level look.

"It'll be fine. You're with me, and they're not going to attack my assistant." He smiled. "Just make sure you write down everything you see once things get started. We'll need this. You, me, my family, and all the rest of us in this city." In a black suit and red tie himself, because of course you got dressed up for this sort of thing, Avenger led the way into the arena building.

Erin observed the building from outside for a few minutes, not sure whether or not she really wanted to go in. She had her costume on, but it was covered with dark-colored civilian clothes, just so the blue and gold wouldn't stand out so garishly. This seemed like kind of a cool opportunity, a chance to test her skills against some of the city's other heroes and maybe meet some that weren't teenagers as well. But the building was run-down and looked dangerous, and social situations weren't really her best thing these days. James had talked about coming with her, but he'd been called away on another dimensional mission, so she was on her own.

Finally she steeled herself and walked in, keeping a very careful eye on everything going on around her. In moments, she'd scoped out every visible entry and exit point, as well as the locations of the people who'd already arrived, just to be on the safe side. After that, she was content to stand by a large overturned scoreboard, her boots crunching in the glass of broken lightbulbs, and wait to see what would happen next.

Geckoman, by contrast to Erin, just strode in. "Gentlemen!" he proclaimed, holding a Geckorang high. "I am out of practice due to a brief sojourn out of this business! Thus, I require someone to spar with to recover my awesomitude!"

He skittered up a scoreboard and raised his arms pleadingly. "Is it so wrong to just want to show off my mad kung fu skillz!?" Suddenly, Geckoman glanced down at the figure leaning on the board. "Hi, Wander!"

Rycon looked around before entering, seeing if anyone was watching or following her. She was nervous about this, she had nowhere near as much combat experience as the other superheroes. If she would be going into a fight, she would be going down, HARD.

Taking a deep breath, she enters the arena, her focus turned to a loud, somewhat charismatic young hero in green. "Is that...? she thought, yep, it certifiably was. "Geckoman... you're here too." she used it as a greeting while looking at the other poeple here, which wasn't much at the moment. They met sometime after the invasion. Geckoman got better, in all his non-stop talkative glory.

Dead Head

The Revoltin' Revenant had been circling the area for some time, unable to find the way in. It hadn't helped that he'd mainly heard of the place via word of mouth from (deceased) fighters who'd used it before (and whose brain-damaged recollections were of little use in getting to the place); he was only there now because he'd overheard Avenger talking about the new post-Grue Invasion sparring session.

Hey, a party's a party.

He finally saw someone who he'd hoped might help, a tall and wiry girl standing by a large overturned scoreboard.

"Uh, 'scuse me, ma'am? I'm a bit lost, I'm lookin' fer the Arena. I came here t' trrrraaaaiiiiinnnn-"

Erin actually cracked a smile at seeing a familiar face. "Hey Geckoman," she called back. "I didn't expect to see anyone else from school here. Are you going to-" She broke off very abruptly as she caught sight of something far too familiar, something she hadn't expected to see in this world at all. As the stench of old death filled her nostrils, she took in the tattered clothes, the gray and decaying skin, the shambling movements, and something inside her snapped right back into survival mode. There was a split second of warning as her pupils dilated and her breath started coming faster, then she leapt on him, fist swinging towards his head.

"Erin, NO!" Geckoman had seen her in states like this before, and it didn't end well. Dammit, I'm not strong enough to physically hurt her! He forward flipped off the scoreboard, sweeping his leg down in a drop kick... but Wander was gone, much faster than he could hope to be.

"Goddammit, stop!" shouted Geckoman, nursing his leg as he felt the fractures from hitting the ground slowly repair.

"And so it begins." Lukos said quietly from the shadows in the rafters. He'd arrived only briefly before, leaping from an adjacent rooftop.

"Look, Thomas, you're going to go to this thing and that's final." Jack had told him. "There's someone there that I need you to check up on. You won't miss him. I guarantee he'll be the best dressed man in the place. But it's not just that, Thomas. You'll smell him. I know you've never seen a vampire before, but trust me when I say there is no mistaking it. They are exactly like us, and exactly unlike all at the same time. They are all of the predator, and none of the living, breathing animal." Jack had said this last part with a frown on his face. Clearly those prospects upset him even when he thought about them. Jack opened the door to the hallway of his house to let Thomas out of the small room they had been talking in. "I don't know what will be going on there tonight, but watch yourself, Thomas." Jack laid a reassuring hand on Thomas' shoulder. "When you see Jack Farretti, you tell him I sent you."

Thomas looked around the room, and took in as much as he could with all of his senses. There was death in the air, and it unnerved him, but it was nothing like what Jack had described. It was more similar to those creatures he'd fought in the Fens months ago. Zombies. Unholy beasts that they were. But that was no vampire fighting with that girl.

Thomas leaped from the rafters and crashed down on the wreckage of the scoreboard. "You may want to let the two of them go. The girl seems intent on taking that thing's head off, and I am inclined to let her." The kid dressed in green that he was addressing smelled like an animal, but he smelled more like a lizard than Thomas had ever noticed in a person before. Strange. Perhaps some type of lizard lycanthrope? Thomas continued looking around. There were others present, but none yet that smelled like he expected Jack Farretti would. Thomas remained crouched atop the shattered scoreboard for the time being.

Rycon watched Wander snap into action, "Wander, what are you...?!" She had never seen Erin suddenly charge into combat so quickly, and made a dive out of the way to avoid being part of the conflict.

As Wander left, Rycon went over to Geckoman, who was treating his leg from the injury, "You alright Chris?" she said quietly, looking to see where the injury was. "What was with that sudden outburst?" Rycon had no idea about Erin's past.

"You may want to let the two of them go. The girl seems intent on taking that thing's head off, and I am inclined to let her.

Rycon turns to the new man who apparently came out of nowhere. She thought "Who the...?" as she looked on at the gas mask-wearing man, forgetting that she was helping tend Geckoman's wounds

There was a sudden gust of air as Dynamo peeled into the arena. He was sad to see a small turnout, but hey, the fights were already underway. He should have suspected this anyway, heroes are busy people. "Yo! Sorry I'm late, totally got hung up with something important." Sounds a bit better than getting distracted by the cheerleaders anyway... mused Dynamo. "Guess I missed introductions huh? Well, fill me in later, I'm Dynamo case you didn't already know." Dynamo runs up to where Lukos is standing, as he over looks the scene. "Don't mean to cramp your style broheem, but you got the best seats."

Lukos turned his gas masked face towards the newcomer. Giving the air around him a plaintive sniff, Lukos did his best to figure this new man out. "You want to explain why you smell like burnt rubber?" Lukos asked, smiling beneath the mask. "And, no, I don't blame you. Part of me always likes watching a good fight." He explained. The Wolf part. He thought to himself.

This isn't the one either. The smell's off, and I'll be a weretiger if Jack considers that better dressed than me.

Turning his eyes back towards the fight, Lukos let a little of Wolf's instincts bleed into his consciousness, Fight, tear, kill.

Estelle de Havilland delicatly picked her way through the rubble as she entered the decrepit arena, and she really couldn't look more out of place; between her cloud of shimmering golden hair, shiny blue and silver bodysuit and upper class mannerisms, she looked like a socialite who'd wandered into the bad part of Tijuana. If her mother could see her now, she'd most likely collapse in shock.

"Ah, hello? Is this where the sparring is supposed to take place?" :?

Doktor Archeville

Dynamo runs up to where Lukos is standing, as he over looks the scene. "Don't mean to cramp your style broheem, but you got the best seats."

"I beg to differ!," a rich tenor voice called out from above.

Coming down across the arena was Doktor Archeville and Fulcrum, astride a most unusual conveyance. Archeville sat in something that looked like a barcalounger, with forest green leather cushions, a cupholder in the left armest, large pockets on either side, and a footrest. Stretching out behind it was a long gurney, with two EMT kits affixed under it; atop the bed was a reclining Fulcrum, embarrassed by the spectacle but enjoying every minute of it.

I love making a grand entrance!

Yes, yes, just remember, we are here to provide medical attention as needed, and to keep in touch with our friends and allies. And to cheer on Mona during her bout.

And scope out any weaknesses among these do-gooders! Muah hah hah hah hah hah!!!

"Dere appears to be several new faces down dere," he called back to Fulcrum. "How exciting!"

OOC Note: Doc's chair looks like a cross between Metron's Moebius Chair and a reclining chair. Yes, it is an homage/rip of Professor Farnsworth's "La-Z-Boy of Doom".

Dead Head

From the Opening Credits:

Erin observed the building from outside for a few minutes, not sure whether or not she really wanted to go in. She had her costume on, but it was covered with dark-colored civilian clothes, just so the blue and gold wouldn't stand out so garishly. This seemed like kind of a cool opportunity, a chance to test her skills against some of the city's other heroes and maybe meet some that weren't teenagers as well. But the building was run-down and looked dangerous, and social situations weren't really her best thing these days. James had talked about coming with her, but he'd been called away on another dimensional mission, so she was on her own.

Finally she steeled herself and walked in, keeping a very careful eye on everything going on around her. In moments, she'd scoped out every visible entry and exit point, as well as the locations of the people who'd already arrived, just to be on the safe side. After that, she was content to stand by a large overturned scoreboard, her boots crunching in the glass of broken lightbulbs, and wait to see what would happen next.

The Revoltin' Revenant had been circling the area for some time, unable to find the way in. It hadn't helped that he'd mainly heard of the place via word of mouth from (deceased) fighters who'd used it before (and whose brain-damaged recollections were of little use in getting to the place); he was only there now because he'd overheard Avenger talking about the new post-Grue Invasion sparring session.

Hey, a party's a party.

He finally saw someone who he'd hoped might help, a tall and wiry girl standing by a large overturned scoreboard.

"Uh, 'scuse me, ma'am? I'm a bit lost, I'm lookin' fer the Arena. I came here t' trrrraaaaiiiiinnnn-"

Erin actually cracked a smile at seeing a familiar face. "Hey Geckoman," she called back. "I didn't expect to see anyone else from school here. Are you going to-" She broke off very abruptly as she caught sight of something far too familiar, something she hadn't expected to see in this world at all. As the stench of old death filled her nostrils, she took in the tattered clothes, the gray and decaying skin, the shambling movements, and something inside her snapped right back into survival mode. There was a split second of warning as her pupils dilated and her breath started coming faster, then she leapt on him, fist swinging towards his head.

Wander's aim was not quite as true as she'd have liked -- she must be getting soft from her time in this world -- as rather than strike the foul zombie's head clean off its shoulders, she just knocked it mostly off. It still clung on by a few strings of rotting muscle and tendons, but the spine looked severed, so it should fall any moment.

It did not. Instead, it glared at her as it replaced its head and the dead flesh knitted back together!

"Hey! I's jes' asking fer directions!" it shouted indignantly. It then turned and shambled off; Wander may have heard it muttering "Damn Yankees" under its breath.

"Burnt rubber? Me?! Nah... If ya don't like the smell I figure you shouldn't be wearing that mask all up in your face dude. Get cotton man, totally breaths and junk, ya know?" replies Dynamo to Lukos.

"Ah, hello? Is this where the sparring is supposed to take place?" :?

Score! Quick as a flash Dynamo darts over to Gossamer's position, having completely forgotten about Lukos. "Why yes it is! The name's Dynamo and I'll be taking care of you this evening. You ain't late or nothin so don't worry bout it. But we're all busy people like so they got themselves into a nice little slobber knocker already." Dynamo says most of this in single breath while beaming a wide smile at the newcomer. "So you be a dear and let me know if I can hook up with you - I mean - hook you up with anything; food, drink, what have you. Alls I need in return is a name, and if you're feeling generous, a phone number too." Dynamo adds with a wink.

Dynamo only acknowledges Dr. Archeville long enough to give him the international "Dude, I'm workin here" sign that all men instinctively know over Gossamer's shoulder.

This zombie was different from the ones Erin had seen before, but the differences didn't really process for her right at the moment. She couldn't hear his words over the pounding of her heart in her own ears, or look closely enough to see that there was an intelligence behind the macabre facade. It was a zombie, and it had to be destroyed. With that the first and only thought in her mind, she ran after the thing with a burst of blinding speed, charging at it with hands outstretched to try and rip it to pieces so it couldn't get up anymore.

When Anderson glanced at Jack, Jack shook his head. "No," he murmured, leaning close to murmur in his subordinate's ear. "Watch her. If she goes that fast for undead, we need to know everything we can about her. Dead Head's not a fool. If he needs help, he'll ask for it. And even so...he can handle a lot of things." He hmmed, watching the battle go on. "She goes for the head, so she's experienced. Fast, too. Anger suggests she has a hair trigger. Might be able to use that."

Indeed Fulcrum did look a touch embarrassed. She seemed ill-at-ease with the grand standing, although she had come to accept that Viktor was something of a Large Ham at times. It was a cute trait. In any event, she acquiesced to his request and was actually enjoying the whole ordeal more than she ever let on.

Still when Viktor mentioned new faces, she sat up and really focused on the arena. The entrance was good, but the place looked like a ruin. Which, she considered, was actually a good thing considering the circumstances. Several of the heroes were noted. The gas-masked fellow, Rycon, Gossamer, and Geckoman she recognized immediately, but yes, many new faces were present at well!

Then she noticed the commotion. Looked like some teenage berserker jumped Dead Head! "Very exciting! I'll be right back!" she quipped before trying to interpose between Wander and Dead Head.

Unfortunately, the girl was much faster than she looked and jumped back on Dead Head before Fulcrum was anywhere near. She landed in empty space and turned to look at the brawl. Sighing loudly, she called out to Dead Head, "Hey, Dead Head! You okay? Need a hand?"

"Starting without Jackie B?" came a lighthearted call from the entrance, announcing the swaggering entrance of Jack of all Blades, swashbuckler and swordsman extraordinaire. He gave Doc and Mona a relaxed wave despite how fundamentally their relationship weirded him out on multiple levels, and recognized Dr. de Havilland and the speedster Vince had told him to keep an eye on in the stands. "You know it's not a party till - Dios, she's really going at it, huh?" Jack watched the teenage girl viciously attack Dead Head as he wandered over to where Geckoman was apparently recovering. The fencer would have been more concerned for the necromantic hero if he wasn't essentially impossible to seriously injure. "Hey, Goggles. You kids here on a field trip for Indiscriminate Whacking 101, or what?"

Dead Head

"Can't go anywhere in this town withou-" Dead Head had been grousing, right before Wander's attack knocked him off-balance and he was lying face-down on the ground.

Thought these hero-types were supposed to be accepting of folks who was 'different'.

This close, Wander found the stench of death coming off it even worse. And saw that it was still moving.

"Hey, Goggles. You kids here on a field trip for Indiscriminate Whacking 101, or what?"

"Oh, Wander's very discriminate. Everyone else? Fine. Zombies? Post-traumatic stress disorder-induced raging destruction," said Geckoman, popping a joint into place as he struggled to his feet. "I'm not sure it's possible to stop her."

Rycon witnesses the new contenders coming in, she thinks, "Look at all these people..." She was becoming worried about who her opponent will be...

"I beg to differ!"

The voice was all to familiar to her, she turns to see Dr. Archeville and Fulcrum together. "The Doctor's here?! I really shouldn't have come..." Now she was under pressure, she needed to win, or at least put up a good fight. She didn't want to come under disappointment from the Doctor.

She turns back to Geckoman stating, "I'm going to go find my opponent now," as she starts to walk around the arena, checking out the other contestents.

"I beg to differ!"

Estelle smiled and rolled her eyes at the German ubergenius and his theatrical flair; she genuinely liked him, but sometimes his personality got to be a bit overwhelming.

"Why yes it is! The name's Dynamo and I'll be taking care of you this evening. You ain't late or nothin so don't worry bout it. But we're all busy people like so they got themselves into a nice little slobber knocker already."

"So you be a dear and let me know if I can hook up with you - I mean - hook you up with anything; food, drink, what have you. Alls I need in return is a name, and if you're feeling generous, a phone number too."

And then at the other end of male spectrum, apparently teenagers still loved to hit on her. :roll:

"Well, hello to you as well! I'm Dr Estelle de Havilland, but in this circle I'm usually just called Gossamer."

For a moment she's distracted by the sickening sound of snapping bones, and it's then that she finally picks out Dead head's particular stench from the rest of the arena's many smells.

That's an animated corpse over there...and one of my former students is viciously attacking it. :shock:

She blanches for a moment, then does her best to recover as she turns back to Dynamo. "Forgive me, I was just...zombies!" She laughed a bit too loudly as she fanned herself with a golden wing of hair. "Uh, is there, uh, anywhere to get a diet Pepsi around here?"

"Great to meet ya there Goss! Ya don't mind if I call ya Goss do ya? Cool." When Gossamer mentions zombies, Dynamo's eyes go wide and he turns around on the spot, stirring up quite a breeze. "... Huh. So there is." says Dynamo slowly. "How did I miss that? Thought it was just a weird costume and stuff ya know. It's not like that's the weirdest thing in the room either." says Dynamo as he discretely (read: obviously) points in the direction of Dr. Archeville floating lounge chair. "Oh almost forgot." adds Dynamo as he hands Gossamer over a Diet Coke. He answers her question preemptively, "I grabbed it when I turned around."