Hot Shot

Supercape

GM

"Bonfire is it?" nodded Armitage, pondering the matter. 

"The Mask? Yes...yes...." he continued, closing his book and standing up. He began pacing, juggling around thoughts and speculations inside his head - before coming to firm conclusion. 

"I imagine this is a skull mask? Like a giant serpent? Fits neatly over the face and grants furious strength. Or just fury?" he said, before taking a pen and paper and sketching a pretty good likeness of the skull mask. 

"I found it in Egypt. An Eldritch thing, of ancient history. Pre-history, more precisely. May I ask where it is now? And what you observed of it?"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Yeah, that’s the one. “

That was the easiest part done. This guy was the right one and he had some idea what was happening. Now came the more difficult part. Mainly because unless they’d be willing to give it out, getting the mask would likely include breaking into the police HQ…

“Furious strength is about right. It was in the possession of a gang leader of sorts, who ended up attacking a police patrol before I and an …associate got involved. Guy was smacking around the police car like it was a baseball bat and also shot his tongue forward at one point, but I managed to subdue him. The mask is with the police now as it’s part of an active investigation, if they haven’t shown up here yet they probably will soon.”

“That’s all I could really observe, I didn’t have time for a real analysis while he was attacking me.”

GM

Armitage again paused - not one for quick response. He stewed and considered every word carefully. 

"That is...unfortunate. It would have been much more preferable had your brought the mask here. It is dangerous, you see, something that inspired lust. In a police station. Well, it could be worse. But it could certainly be a lot better..."

He sat down again, head in hands. 

"The world is much more thin that you could imagine. It is not safe, nor predictable. It is by fortune and the will of men that its not cast into chaos. Before man, older, colder civilizations walked the earth, and that mask is from those times. My dealing with these antiquities is most dangerous, you see, but necessary"

He looked up. 

"Do you believe me? It is hard to swallow, is it not? Yet it is true, all the same...."

Bonfire’s reaction came quickly. Perhaps a bit too quickly, as if he’d planned it beforehand.

“Trust me, I learned that I don’t know anything when I learned I could turn into smoke at will.”

Cass’ actual reaction was a bit more nuanced, but he didn’t have to show that. He’d heard some rumours that there was more than what was commonly known, so it wasn’t as huge as a surprise as it would be to many others. But still, hearing it from somebody who likely knew his things did mena that it was true. Unless this guy wasn’t who he claimed to be, which was still possible, of course.

“So then, what now? If it is at the Police it is at least in better hands than if it is owned by some gang. But it’s not really a permanent storage…”

GM

"This is true. I would not have wanted it to fall into the hands of some gang. In fact, I would have preferred it stayed in my hands. I have been studying many objects and antiquities as I sailed to Freedom City. I soon determined that the mask should not be sold..."

He pressed his fingers to his temples, and rubbed. 

"But I have not the luxury of lamentations. It is gone, and whilst not in the hands of a gang, it is hardly safe. Hardly safe at all. Whilst a street thug would be more quick to use it, it is unlikely they would be able to direct its power. The risk is now less in probability, but greater in impact. Which is of little or no comfort" he said, pressing his fingers together and concentrating his thoughts. 

"What is your interest in this matter? Not merely a side effect of your smoke like power I would presume. I confess that I cannot help but be most interested in your condition. And, frankly, that ties in with another matter of great import. Namely, can I trust you?"

“My job is to keep the streets safe. I work independently of the police, with all that entails. This sounds like something that’s gonna need some big guns to deal with, so that’s where I come in. I’ve been doing this for a while now and there are a lot of people who recognize me, but I can only offer my word when it comes to trust. “

He began to pace around the room, collecting his thoughts.

“If what you say is true, and it does sound like it is, then this is far from over and my intervention will be … not necessary but something that will help make this entire thing less of a trouble. If there’s anybody who chases after the mask, it won’t be safe at the police. Neither will they be…”

Bonfire stopped for a second, before continuing, quieter than before. It was a bit embarrassing, to be honest, especially in a situation like this. Having a TV crew with you didn’t exactly make you a beacon of trustworthiness.

“Also you should probably be made aware of the fact that I … kind of ended up getting roped into a TV show to go along with this thing. The producer-slash-camera man and the rookie hero should be wandering around the docks at the moment…”

GM

"Oh dear. That makes things most complicated" grumbled Armitage, tapping his fingers on his desk. 

"I would have wanted everything undercover, invisible. The less that is known about such matters, the better. The fact that the police have such a dangerous item only doubles the need. And now, you tell me that a camera crew is here"

He started getting agitated, pulling at his hair. 

"How fortune micturates on my endeavours" he said, most vexed. "Perhaps we can dispense with this man quickly? As long as he does not have footage of the mask, that will not be difficult. Perhaps he would be paid off? As long as he is not one of those artists whose only currency is their own image, like that reprehensible idiot Zyte Guyst...."

Oh #### me. Why, why, why. Out of all the people that could know each other…

Bonfire couldn’t even hide his reaction. Even if his face couldn’t tell it, his body could. And he didn’t even care. If he did it now it was less trouble than if h did it when armed thugs and a guy with superpowers were involved. Bonfire tried to find the right words, knowing full well that at this point Armitage already knew. A quick sigh just to get himself into the proper mood, before Bonfire responded.

“I guess the two of you have some bad history?”

There were still ways to salvage this. Somehow, somewhere. So far, no contracts had been signed. Cass could still bail out if he wanted to, he’d just have to deal with the aftermath. Which, depending on what came next, probably was preferable to dealing with Zyte and Armitage. Or he could just force them to work together, somehow…

GM

"History?" smiled Armitage, savouring the word as a historian would. "Yes, you could say that. He tried to film me down in RiO, as I was setting off to investigate some Mayan ruins. "He was, quite frankly, an ass"

"I have never met a man so quite full of himself, so brimming with ill deserved confidence. I would quite happily strangle the man to death. It would surely not be considered murder by any sane man, for I would be doing a sacred duty to man" he said, gravel and grim, striking a most indignant pose. 

"Why....you aren't saying...." he continued, his brow darkening. 

"It's not actually him outside, is it?" he asked, his face red.

Could be worse? Maybe?

Bonfire created a small buzzer made of smoke in his hand and pushed down on it. “Bzz, we have a winner. “ Then, he turned more serious. “Yeah, it’s him. He’s out there following whatever trace he currently has. Unless you wanna end up on TV as “the angry archaeologist” it’s probably best if you humour him for now. Especially ‘cause he already has everything he needs to make that mask the next social media hype. “

Again, Cass sighed internally. This could only go wrong. He still didn’t know why Armitage had this many armed guards – or any for that matter – and with this recent development, part of him hoped he wouldn’t get to know it.

“So, what now? We’ve still got a …cursed or something… mask just lying around at some police station.”

GM

Armitage sat down, slowly, and carefully. 

And thumped his head against the desk. 

"Of all the curses!" he mumbled, before straightening up and adjusting his bow tie. 

"Do not fear. I can contain my apoplexy if need be. Humour him, however, is not within the capabilities of Hercules" he said, quite serious. "The situation is considerably more difficult than I had first anticipated. And it calls for a considerably more difficult solution" he explained. 

"Namely, it requires sorcery. Or, more precisely, the utilisation of some of the strange and Eldritch devices I have here. With them, I propose we steal away that mask from the police station. And do so without anybody being any the wiser. And that includes Mr. Guyst and his new protege...."

Sorcery. It had to be magic, didn’t it? Cass still didn’t really trust it, so far, he’d only seen it be used a few times. And usually it backfired in one way or another. Not that his powers didn’t. But they generally didn’t include anything “eldritch”, as far as he was aware.

“I have no issues with that. If he’s dragging around a camera with him I don’t really need to have any theft from a police station be on footage. Doesn’t look good in any circumstance, really. I can spin a narrative that should make it more interesting for them and lead them in a different direction, no issues. “

Still, Cass didn’t exactly trust Armitage. Anybody this well protected had something to hide, especially if they saw through invisibility. And were carrying around eldritch devices.

“What comes after that? What’s your plan for getting rid of the mask?”

GM

Armitage paused, stroking his goatee and looking into infinity. 

"I am not sure. I doubt it can be destroyed. I consider myself an expert on these matters, but you will appreciate we are not dealing with a precise science" he explained. "My best guess remains a guess. An educated guess, true, but a guess all the same. I simply do not have enough information" he said, apologetically. 

"What we do depends on what we find. Examination, scrutiny, study" he explained. "Ah, if I had known the nature of the mask I would not have sold it" he sighed. "My business is dealing with such things. On occasion, I deal in things I should not. But, by and large, my business prevents harm" he said, not happy with the situation. 

"My apologies. On this occasion, my judgement was askew. It has not been the first time, nor, I dare say, shall it be the last. It is however the first time I have had the misfortune for such complications" he grumbled. 

"Let us find the mask first then, and try to understand it....Ah...this may require theft..." he said, both blunt and awkward. 

Bonfire just nodded as Armitage spoke. So he didn’t have any idea either. Great. Cass had one thing in his mind, but it wasn’t exactly a great option, so for now he’d have to just go with whatever Armitage would come up with. Having a backup didn’t seem like a terrible idea, though.

“You talk about your business, but what exactly is it? What does it entail, who are your usual clients?” Maybe that question would give Cass a better idea of what was up. He was still technically surrounded, after all.

As a response to the mention of thievery, Bonfire merely shrugged. It was nothing he hadn’t done before, he just didn’t need for it to be on camera…

GM

"My business is not quite smuggling, for I keep on the right side of the law. But it is not far from it either" conceded Armitage. "I am essentially an antiquities dealer, except my antiquities are Eldritch. It is, ah, a family business, stretching back over a hundred years" he said, with some pride. 

"My own study is Egypt, but I do not confine my business there. Much interesting and serpentine treasure circles in South America, for instance" he explained. "But I digress. My current partner, if you can call her that, is Elizabeth Drake, a woman of significant wealth and significant years. Lives here in Freedom City, atop a heap of gold and as a virtual recluse. I suspect, frankly, that she wishes immortality" he said, blunt and grim. 

"I doubt she will get it, but she pays exceptionally well, and is not tedious company. Quite clever, actually. And she does appear to have a fondness for art, which I confess softens my heart. It is easier to part with the goods I acquire if I know the buyer will actually be interested and appreciate them" he added. 

"I would have sold the mask to her. I would not do so now". 

Bonfire nodded. It wasn’t exactly a reassuring statement, but it wasn’t one that rang any immediate alarms either. Tradition meant Armitage knew what he was talking about, at least. Could probably come in useful later, too. Antiquities of an eldritch sort? Now that was a market niche.

“I see. That does sound like a viable business model. Say, could Ms. Drake have any interest in acquiring the mask through other means? And how did you lose hold of the mask, anyways? If it ended up in the hands of some gang-leader than quite clearly something must’ve happened.”

Cass had some ideas of the situation at this point, but so long as nothing urgent came up he could continue getting some answers. The mask was (probably) safe enough where it was, and somehow it felt unlikely that Zyte and Chill would just charge the ship. Then again, perhaps it was time to get moving at some point…

GM

"There lies the problem" said Armitage, stroking his beard. "I have no idea at all how the mask ended up in that thug's hand. Maybe it wants to be lost. That is a worrisome prospect. I hope instead it is a more mundane matter, namely that someone on this ship got greedy and stole it. Perhaps, it is both"

He sat down, spreading his hands on his table and pressing them into the wood lightly, trying to focus, trying to calm. 

"As for Elizabeth, I imagine she could acquire the mask if she wished. I do not know her mind on this matter. I do not exactly trust her, but neither do I distrust her. My dealings with her have not been frequent, but they have been fair. On the other hand, she is somewhat desperate. She enjoys wealth and the life that goes with it. And she has turned to Eldritch forces to extend her life. If she feels the Mask can give her youthful vigour, I would think she is capable of much..."

That did raise a few questions. Cass didn’t quite believe the mask had just been lost, Armitage was probably hiding something. He was justified in doing so, but it just meant that Cass had to look out a bit more when it came to dealing with him. Probably not wrong to do so either way, to be fair.

“Have you had any contact with her recently? Did you ever mention the mask to her? If not, she may not be an urgent concern, if you did there is a chance we will run across one of her people sooner rather than later. “

“Speaking of running across people, I imagine my … associates … will show up here sooner rather than later, so perhaps we should move to be the ones that meet them instead of the other way around? Might lead to less issues with the ship’s guards, too.”

GM

"Last month, I saw her face to face" conceded Armitage. "And aside from my previous observations I have little to add. Other than we enjoyed a rather fine Pinot Noir at the High Steaks Restaurant"

"But of course I have kept in contact via electronic letters" he said, full of antiquity in his terminology. "She knew about the mask. And all of my finds. Perhaps not the details, but the essence. As to the true power of the mask, well, if I did not understand it, I doubt she did. She is an intelligent woman, it is true, but of the cunning type, not the academic. She is no scholar!" he added, proudly. 

"As for your associates...ah...I would prefer not to meet them. Apart from the odious aura of Ztye Guyst, my work requires as much anonymity as possible. I would not discard it lightly". 

That did raise a few more concerns. So there was a good chance some rich lady with an actual stake in getting the mask was going to get involved at some point. Chances were she didn’t have that much ethical concerns if she was chasing immortality and had acquaintances like Armitage.

“That is … slightly concerning. If she gets involved, that is one more party that is chasing after the mask. We can’t rule out any other thugs, either…”

And then there was the issue of keeping in touch with the guy.

“I can understand that. Say, is there any way we can stay in touch? I feel like we’ll both need to be able to contact each other at a moment’s notice when we’re dealing with all this mask business, do you have a phone or some other way I could contact you?”

GM

"Electronic letters? Mobile phones? I may be a touch on the old side but I can use such things" said Armitage, a little indignant, but a smile on his face. 

"There may be other ways, however. The eye of Amrun-Ket, for instance" he suggested. He reached into his desk and pulled out a tiny stone on a tiny necklace. "With enchantment, I can see through the stone, and hear too. It is a one way thing, but you can easily let me know what is happening" he suggested. 

"And the eye see's many things..." he added more softly, shuddering slightly. 

He shook himself too. "It can see more than the mundane, you see. Too much, arguably. It is something of a strain to see through it, but if it would aid us, I would endure it...!"

That was good enough. He didn’t have to be some sort of tech wizard but knowing how to use a phone meant that Cass didn’t have to deal with the pain of somehow communicating through far more complicated means. He picked out one of his business cards and scrabbled something down, before handing it over to Armitage.

“There’s my number, as well as my E-Mail, I suppose. Should be enough to keep in touch. “

Regarding the eye, Cass was a bit less certain. It sounded useful, sure. But carrying around some magical artefact was one thing. Doing it as Bonfire was another. He only had one pocket, and the amulet would take a fair bit of space. Plus, it meant he had Armitage on him at all times. At the same time, seeing – and hearing - through walls was really, really useful.

“It sounds useful, but I have difficulties carrying objects on me, no matter how small they are. Perhaps it is a better idea if you keep it for now, if we see that it may come n useful we can always meet up and you can give it to me then. “

GM

Armitage looked disappointed. "Hmmm....very well. Electonic letters it will be" he said, not pleased. He stuffed the amulet back in its drawer. "I think you unwise on this matter, however. If Drake has some kind of Eldritch power at her disposal - and I am not saying she does - but if she does, the Eye may save you" he explained. 

But the matter was decided, for good or ill. 

"But I would not force any magic on a soul who was not comfortable with it. That is only fair, even if the results are unpalatable". 

"Before you go to Drake then, we have the matter of Zyte and his protege to deal with. Annoyingly, he is as clever as he is vexatious. If he spies a story, and he surely will, he will do all he can to get it. Or rather, to present it. The man is a virus, you see" he said, grimly. "And he is persistent. As you brought this little parasite to my front door, I would be most gratefully if you could remove him. Ideally, in a painful and humiliating way. But really, any way will do...."

What Armitage now said was interesting. Did he want Bonfire to go talk to this lady immediately? It was a bit of a change, an actual suggestion. Not one that Cass was too fond of, but one nevertheless. Her having some eldritch powers was pretty implied, at least to him. He’d be more surprised if it were to turn out she didn’t have any. It would be interesting to see an eldritch power in action, he’d heard about it but never really seen anything like it. One certain snake mask notwithstanding.

“Are you suggesting I go to Drake immediately? Shouldn’t we actually retrieve the mask first? I feel like she may be looking to get hold of it, but if we are quicker there is no need for it. Even if she does, she already knows you, so you may be better suited to talking to her. “

“As for Zyte, well, as you mentioned. He does what he can to present a story. He’s not actually investigating so much as he is reporting, he wants mystery and drama and all the other things that make a good story. Giving him that while working on this, that’s doable. Means I’ll have to take some precautions, but I can lead him to where he should be. “

GM

"There is no one path" concluded Armitage. "Drake may have the mask already, or be attempting to procure it. This is a small risk, a speculation, but on the other hand it is more critical. Getting the mask is important, but it could possibly be delayed" said Armitage. "It would be advisable to do both" he concluded. 

He pondered a moment. 

"And perhaps we should. I could see Drake, and you could steal...err...acquire....the mask. However you see fit" he offered. 

"But in any case, Zyte is the irritation of the moment. How do you propose, exactly, to deflate him?"