Vorik

The Magic of Reading (IC)

Nicole ran out of the windmill before the two could come to blows again, holding between her hands what looked like a spherical cage of alternating steel and wood, seemingly held together by nothing more than her will. Inside, her smartphone could be seen spinning on its top, shooting static out of its hardrive port.

"Hey! Try this on for size!" She held up the ball-like device and her smartphone began spinning faster until it was almost a blur. It made a racket as it primed, parts clacking together as a high pitched whine began.

Nicole's face couldn't be read but she hoped she got what she got it right this time. No targeting Alex. No explosions. No butterflies coming from the air. Just a good welding of steel to the ground and their joints, locking these Black Guard in place while she and Alex could make a quick getaway.

The device worked better than Nicole hoped as all the Guards quickly found themselves stuck inside their own armor unable to move! Sounds of grunting could be heard as they struggled inside vainly. The Captain locked in a position of one arm outstretch trying to grab at you swore in disbelief. "Your magic will not hold us for long little girl, once we are free you will know pain as I personally end you! Run, run little girl for nowhere is safe for you. The Great Sorcerer will win." And with that he continues struggling in his armor with such strength you can hear it slowly start to crink as the metal bends.

"yeah yeah tinman, you'll huff and puff and blow it out ya butthole." he says a little exhaustedly from his 9 on 1 brawl but relieved that is over "and saucy boy is gonna be super ticked off with you for ignoring his orders to fight some rando who cropped up don't you think? especially one on one, you think he wants a servant who puts pride above his orders?" he asks not really wanting, expecting or listening to any answer that might come from him.

"Don't worry though captain nobody, we're gonna take it up with ya boss real soon, once i have caught my breath imma go slap him around till he tells me where my brother is."

"So we better get going then," said Nicole from behind Facsimile as she pulled an expensive looking wheelchair from the windmill's doorway, glasses clipped over her collar. One glance at Facsimile and the Captain trading barbs while fractures threatened to undo her work was enough for her to interrupt the duo going at it. "Really? You're wasting your time like this?"

She was rearing to go before her hunters could free themselves, but it meant that she was leaving days of work inside the windmill. It stung and she was almost beginning to call it her windmill. With the amount of time she spent inside, it was almost a home in this world that wasn't hers.

As to where she and Alex would go, the nearby village should be their first stop. They had maps there, supplies and provisions though she had no idea how they'd pay for them. And most importantly, they could plan their next move without a dozen tin men breathing down their necks.

But first...

"Can't you knock him out before he breaks free?" She said to Facsimile, more exasperated than worried, as she waved a hand at the Guard Captain. Her spherical contraption broke the second it did its works. Serves her right for trying to cook up something on the fly. Magic was a science and an art that you did methodically, not a slapdash of glue and paint.

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

"you are awfully rude for someone who just got saved, Princess." he remarks as he stands up, giving a little stretch of his arms "besides, won't i break the spell if i hit him through it?" he states simply as he gets back onto his feet and streches his neck and back a little "Lucky for you ten man melee is a casual sport for me." he humms as he walks on over "Im also fast and strong enough in this form to carry you and outrun a horse at the same time, so if you've got all your stuff together lemme know and we'll be off."he looks at the wheel chair askence "Whoms wheelchair is that? you loose someone in the book too?"

"I'll write an IOU later. Or would you prefer a pat on the back?" Nicole said, eyes rolling and arms folded. So maybe she wasn't the friendliest of pals in the best of times, but getting stuck alone inside a windmill for days wasn't conducive to her people skills. Worse than even that was the lack of any of the facilities she had taken for granted. Phones, internet, laptops, even old-school paper newspapers and books as deprived as she was. If this world allowed it, she'd be wearing hair that hasn't been combed and bags under her eyes. But of course she looked pristine perfect and every bit like she woke up with an instant makeover.

Little Miss Princess. Just her luck.

She couldn't help a cringe at Facsimile's words. Touchy subject even after all this time but she pointed at the wheelchair nevertheless, shaking her head. "No, this is mine. Whatever's happening here, it's changing things which shouldn't be changed. Physically? Sure, but I suspect it's primarily a magical by-product affecting us."

"Oh." he says, suddenly feeling a bit sheepish about it all, being physically modified like that must've been quite stressful "Sorry, i didn't know." he says simply "anyway, you might be more comfortable sat in that and me carrying it than clinging onto me as i run, i am made of metal, just....get comfortable and we'll be off, im guessing sorcerer dude lives in a thematically appropriate tower around here somewhere, so he can keep an eye on them and them on him." he mumbles to himself.

"less he's genre savvy, you think it might be another outsider holed up in here?" he asks as he turns the idea over in his mind.

"Maybe," Nicole said as she settled into her wheelchair, Alex's unintentional faux pas already brushed past her mind. It wasn't something she liked to put her mind on, and so even if her memory was picture perfect, she did not dwell on her situation anymore than she had to. It was what it was and moping about it was going to get her nowhere. 'Stiff upper lip,' as the British liked to say.

"There's only one way to find out for sure and that's to ask him personally. Let's just find out where we're supposed to go."

She pointed a dainty finger at the direction of the nearby village. "That way then?"