(IC) Pop Quiz: That Long Tongue Liar

Phaedra sighed and set aside her tea.  "Thank you for the conversation," she said to 'Keith', "as well as for the tea and attending to Reeke.  But I think it is time we should move on."  The half-breed sounded calm, almost bored, and she turned to raise an inquiring eyebrow toward Cathy.

"Ready to go?" she asked, "if we don't have much time we really should get on with loving and cherishing, yeah?"

Keith frowned, the illusion fading away. Demons knew the foulest of curses and the most honeyed of praises and could move from one to the other like the beating of fire-scorched feathery wings. But being ignored was not something demons readily understood - or handled easily. "I'm trying to save you a lot of trouble, girl," he said seriously. "Even if your friends don't flush the Cancer fast enough, your girl here's gonna die. It's just a matter of fact. Question is, does it happen on your terms? Or His?" he asked, making a dismissive gesture that was somewhere in the direction of the One Above. 

Despite any claims to the former she Cathy still took a few seconds to check her complexion, a small vanity after a few trying minutes. She'd heard stories about how tricky demons could be and she was expecting something more, tricky. The smart thing would be to play it cool and wait to find out what was going on later, but Cathy wasn't always good at being so smart when her friends were involved.

"What does he mean about our friends? Whats going on here?"

She did have the presence of mind to increase the temperature around them as close to normal as possible, despite the worry she know had.

• 3 weeks later...

"I do not know," Phaedra admitted.  Her own blood was up now, worry mixed with anger and her features were the furtherest away from human Cathy had ever saw, the more she pulled on her infernal heritage.  "Please," she said with agonizing patience, "Stop wasting our time.  Speak plainly and true, or we are leaving."

Keith stared at the two of them, then said, "I will - but you know what the truth is worth. You can pay me back later," he said with false cheer as he struck a cigarette. "Yer friends, those kids you go to school with? They're standin' on the doorway of one of those big changes I was talkin' about. You don't stop 'em, the laws are gonna come down." As he spoke, scenes played out against the walls of their Claremont friends fighting some barely-defined, hideous monsters - and Freedom City itself seeming to change, with angry, faceless mobs shouting at each other amid broken streets. "And the souls of the innocent'll rise, and the souls of the guilty'll sink. I'll tell you where - if you don't mind th' price.

Cathy couldn't help but get that little bit closer to Phae a look of concern on her face.

"If our friends are in trouble then we need to do something to try and help. If there a cost..."

Whilst she was happy with her life she'd been prepared to sacrifice her life before and she was willing to do it again if necessary.

"I know you'll move hell, possibly literally, and high water to get me back safely! I believe in you fully and always."

She gently touched Phae's hand and managed a weak reassuring smile.

"Nothin' so big as that," said Keith with a hard smile. "Yer friends are runnin' into a bunch a'holier-than-thou fanatics - which is pretty funny to me given how often they break the Commandments, but ain't that usually how it goes?" He took out a cigarette, lit it with a snap of his fingers, and sketched a building in the air - perhaps a warehouse? "Head for the Fens, you'll feel the place when you see it. Just don't get what's catchin' around there. Cancer'll kill demons and pretty ice maidens too," he finished, drawing a line across his throat with his cigarette. "People worked hard and spent a lot to make sure it all happened tonight. They're expectin' quite a party."

• 3 weeks later...

There was a brief knitting of Phae's brow as she considered the price of the information.  She still didn't know what that price was but with a threat dangling above her friends she wasn't going to ask.  The half-demon was many things, but most importantly she was honest with herself.  She feared what the answer would be if she asked what price she'd pay for Keith's information, but she wouldn't have to wrestle with a dilemma if she remained purposefully ignorant.

"We wouldn't want to disappoint," she told Keith, releasing her power and tearing open a portal closer to the Fens.  She gave her girlfriend a confident smile, and took Cathy's hand into her own. "Let's go make a scene."